Wrestling Books

Bring Back Minipops

• Paid Members

Incased the following in spoilers in regards to the Bret Hart book...

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

A tad weird considering he ends the book stating his hatred for Shawn Michaels and how he will never forgive him. Look at him now. Makes Bret appear more shady in hindsight. Did he do the whole RAW angle with Shawn just for the money/exposure, or has he actually, genuinely forgiven Shawn? Makes the whole thing very grainy and kinda blurs Bret's integrity just a bit, regardless of the reasons for forgiving Shawn in the first place.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• 1 month later...

I have just finished reading Terry Funks book and I was slightly disappointed especially since the reviews were really good.

What shines through from the first page to the last page is that Terry Funk seems to be a really nice guy, he very rarely has a bad word to say about anybody and the word 'great' is probably the most used word in the book because practically everyone he talks about is or was a great worker or a great man. Compared to some other autobiographies I have read this book was pretty difficult to get in to, perhaps because most of the time he's overly positive and there's nothing really juicy (for lack of a better word) to get in to. If you enjoy reading gritty controversial autobiographies, like a tell all no holds barred type book then I'd avoid this one. Funk tells his story really well and by the end I totally felt as though I knew him better and had a better understanding and new found respect for his achievements and career overall. He does give a pretty interesting first hand insight into the downfall of WCW and ECW. He knocks Kevin Nash and I found myself agreeing with his opinions. You really get that he and Mick Foley are really great friends, Funk is forever praising Mick and defending Mick in regards to Ric Flairs (glorified stuntman) comments that he made in his book. I'm sure Funk would tell you that he invented the wheel if you asked him because in his book he tells how he came up with so many different match stipulations and names for wrestlers etc (which I have no reason to dis-believe Funk seems like a smart guy so no reason to doubt him). His opinions on Paul Heyman, Eric Bischoff, Vince McMahon and Vince Russo are pretty interesting also.

I'd recommend this book for the fact it gives a pretty interesting insight into the territory days and the day to day life of a NWA World Heavyweight Champion. Its obvious Funk loves the wrestling business with a passion and that he made some pretty decent money out of it which he talks about often. Anyone who is a fan of Japanese wrestling should read this book, Funk talks a lot about the rivalry between Inoki/Baba and his loyalty to Baba throughout his career. Terry Funk, More than Hardcore....read it but don't expect anything ground breaking.