The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

Anthrax have confirmed a UK Tour for next playing, playing 'Among The Living' in full:

Feb 09: Birmingham O2 Institute

Feb 10: London O2 Forum Kentish Town

Feb 11: Bristol O2 Academy

Feb 13: Nottingham Rock City

Feb 14: Manchester Academy

Feb 15: Glasgow Barrowlands

Feb 16: Newcastle Northumbria University

Feb 17: Norwich UEA

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

had a sound time at Hard Rock Hell last week, first time i've done that event but im a regular at Hammerfest, can't recommend them weekend's enough, cheap, good accomodation and lots of live music.

Ugly Kid Joe were outstanding headlining the Saturday night, i've never been a big fan but they put on a great live show and genuinely seemed blown away by the resonse they got. Last in Line, Soil, Ricky Warwick & Living Colour were all solid.

Only downer was Ginger Wildhearts set which was let down by one of the worst sound mixes ive ever heard. I don't think it helped that Ginger got a bit over-induldgent in how many members he needed on stage, i think it was a 10 piece band, they had 2 bassists for fuck sake. At one point 8 people were singing at one time and it sounded fucking shocking, reel it Ginger.

I sure anyone whose wanted to hear has done so. So, what do we make to the new Metallica album?

I've listened to it about five times, and to not sound too much like the Zmetallica mark that I am, I really like it for the most part.

It's not perfect by any stretch, and even though it clocks in at 77minutes, it flies by although I think 'ManUNkind' could have been left off as it's clearly the weakest of the bunch.

Interesting to see that Kirk Hammet has no writing credits on the album, everything is Hetfield & Ulrich (except for ManUNkind which also has Rob Trujillo credited). 'Atlas,Rise' has some good sounding twin guitars to it which haven't featured for quite some time. Makes you wonder if Hammet has been the one that's been bringing the writing down for so long.

While the opening two tracks ('Hardwired' and 'Atlas,Rise') and the closer ('Spit Out The Bone') have more of a trashy edge to them, the rest of the album is mostly made of slower paced rockerss based around thick sounding riffs, and I thought it worked well.

The overall sound of the album is so much better than the last two efforts aswell. Lars' drums don't sound like a wasp trapped in a dustbin in a garage anymore.

In my opinion, it's their strongest effort since The Black Album. Like I say, it's not perfect, but alot of it can easily slot into the live set alongside the classics which is how I can see them going when they get into the tour cycle for it.

They get alot of guff for some of their decisions, and rightfully so sometimes, but there is a reason why they're still absolutely massive. Hopefully we don't have to wait another eight years before another new effort, as this I felt was a very strong effort.

Now if Tool can just pull their fingers out and finish their new album...

Finally got round to listening to 'Rheia' by Oathbreaker. Hell of an album. It'll blow your bollocks off.

Read a few reviews, i'll get on it. Saw them play Ghostfest last year, intense live band.

Really? I liked them before I saw them at Damnation, then went off them super-quick thanks to the singer being a statue with her hair covering her face. Just didn't go with the music at all.

Finally got round to listening to 'Rheia' by Oathbreaker. Hell of an album. It'll blow your bollocks off.

Read a few reviews, i'll get on it. Saw them play Ghostfest last year, intense live band.

Really? I liked them before I saw them at Damnation, then went off them super-quick thanks to the singer being a statue with her hair covering her face. Just didn't go with the music at all.

Uncle Acid did that when I saw them a while back, really shitty gig too. I mean a drone band like Sunn O))) can get away with it wearing robes and playing the slowest shit ever but any other metal band that just stands there can fuck off.

Even Neige was headbanging his fairy like bonce about the place. But yeah, Oathbreaker make good music, one of the better "untrve" bands out there.

• Paid Members

Yeh i found it a pretty intense live experience, you dont need to be bounding around the stage to achieve that.

Sunno))) (or however its spelt) though, now that's a band/act i can't get my head around it. Saw part of their set at Hellfest and it confused the fuck out of me.

Edited by Egg Shen

Doom's branched off a lot over the years, I'd say there's a bigger range of sounds than death and around the same as black metal which has really split up recently. I was just listening to some weird black metal/emo/dance crossover shit, there's gonna be a time when people go to far and the entire genre packs it in.

• Paid Members

I know there was some talk about cheap tickets on here a bit ago. If anyone fancies Black Stone Cherry tonight in Manchester reseller sites have got them way below face value. There was front circle seating on Stubhub for £8 & standing for £15 last night.

On the subject of doom, there's a million different subgenres so without sounding too clichéd, there's something for everybody. There was a feature in Terrorizer years ago that covered a load of different bands from a few different subgenres and the difference between them can be massive.

I don't get the Sunn o))) thing on record either but I can understand how it might be totally different live and if you've had a couple of sherberts. I've just started another band after 10 years or so in the wilderness and we're pretty doomy. There's so many different styles though it's cool to be able to cross genres in the same band. Sabbath did it all the time. For every "Snowblind" there's a "Hole In The Sky". It's not all "let's play one chord for 12 minutes and then we'll do another chord for 14 minutes" misery. 

Edited by cobra_gordo