The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

Top 5 at the moment.

Boris/Merzbow - Gensho, it's not exactly new content but it's the first time I've heard the dual disk gimmick done so perfectly.

Mithras - On Strange Loops is easily the best Death Metal I've heard all year, it even pummels the new Gorguts EP.

Alcest - Kodama is a return to form after the poor mans Sigur Ros tribute

SubRosa - For This We Fought the Battle of Ages

The Body - No One Deserves Happiness

I still haven't heard the new Cult of Luna which is meant to be pretty amazing, I'll stick that on tonight and it'll maybe be added here.

Here's both discs of Gensho played together, personally I play the Merzbow side a little quieter.

Edited by Merzbow

• 2 weeks later...

Indifferent Rivers Romance End by Wreck and Reference has slipped right near the top of my list, this is the gloomiest and most limit pushing metal around. They've almost pushed it right out of their sound but manage to hang on to the genre by a cunt hair, moving boundries rather than breaking them. Good shit and a fitting depressing end to 2016.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members

i know im gonna have forgotten stuff but my top 5 looks like this:

1. Volbeat - Seal the Deal & Let's Boogie

2. Nails - You Will Never Be One of Us

3. Lonely the Brave - Things Will Matter

4. Brujeria - Pocho Aztlan

5. Metallica - Hardwired...To Self-Destruct

I feel there's a load of other albums that would probably make my top 5 that i haven't got around to listening too, i have a horrible habit of waiting a long time until i actually listen to something, that top 5 though are records i really liked last year.

You know what your getting with Nails. Shame that they went on a hiatus all of a sudden towards the end of the year.

I really enjoyed Wormrot- Voices, just a straight up no nonsense grindcore album.

The self-titled debut from Wakrat was an enjoyable listen.

Anyone whose liked the recent growth of Depressive Suicidal Black Metal should check out Unreqvited- Disquiet, and Ghostbath-Moonlover was one of my favourite releases of the year.

Metallica-Hard Wired...To Self Destruct was a real return to form, even if it could have been cut down by about 20 minutes, and there would be something wrong with me if I didn't include Opeth-Sorceress.

Honourable mention for If These Trees Could Talk-The Bones of a Dying World

• Paid Members

Yeah Nails are trememndous. Listened to a Todd Jones interview and he mentioned how much a fan of later day Napalm Death he is (the best Napalm Death), and you can hear that all over the Nails album. Short, sharp, aggressive and for my ears catchy as hell. Its a quality album.

Nails fall into the same category as Deafheaven where they seem to gain haters because they are breaking out of a very niche scene, i could care less though, the music speaks for itself.

The complaining "trve" brigade have to stop soon, surely? There are just too many great bands that are climbing out of that stale hole and they're pretty much the majority of the best metal around. Speaking of, I got around to listening to the new Cult of Luna and it's amazing with Julie Christmas killing it on vocals.

The Great Nothing by Ambersmoke is another I was late to, another great album shying away from tradition.

You can't take the 'tr0000' posters seriously at as there's so few of them. The Bloodstock forum only seems to have the same 20 people posting and the festival doesn't seem to have that massive a social media presence either. It's just a minority of an already niche market that like to moan about anything.

Having said that, there's still not enough there for me to be persuaded to buy a ticket yet, but that's just personal opinion based on that lineup alone. There's still alot of speculation that Emperor are the Saturday headliners, which if true means you've got two of the same headliners from 2014. Even with the limited budget that Bloodstock have, that would be incredibly lazy booking