The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

It just strikes me that he's ripping off Jonathan Davis' gimmick of getting things off his chest but nowhere near as convincing. Hell, Jamie Jasta sings about some horrific stuff from his life but it has a legitimacy to it. King 810 are more like angry 14 year olds singing about how their step mums aren't very nice because they insist on buying supermarket brand choco-rice cereals. If it's all an act then it's even worse!

• Paid Members

Anyone been following the Suicide Silence stuff online?

Basically they've released two new songs which have sent the online metal community into meltdown, the fans are backlashing and there's a lot abuse being thrown around, including some nasty stuff about former and deceased vocalist Mitch Lucker turning in his grave at what they've become. I'm not essentially a Suicide Silence fan, but i did like their first post-Lucker album.

Soundwise it's a huge left-turn, the clean vocals seem to be the main source of the critisicm, and the high-notes in the song Doris are a bit of an eye-opener, but i actually think both songs are pretty good, it's unsurpring to find that Ross Robinson is on production duties, it has that down-tuned dirty feel to it and vocally it's got a Deftones type vibe to it, it's all abit late 90's. For the fan-boys of deathcore or whatever you want to call it, clean vocals = gay, so the band had to be expecting a huge backlash and they are getting it.

I haven't heard the songs, but I did read an interview with them a while back were they did specifically say that the next album would a clean vocal album as they wanted to try a new direction, so the fans should have been ready for it.

We've talked before about the backlash that Opeth have received now Mikael is just doing clean vocals on the newer records, and again he's been perfectly opens out that's being the direction that the band was going. It's not like they've suddenly sprung it on people with no prior warning. Fans can, at times, be really fucking narrow minded when a band wants to try something new. There's nothing wrong with experimentation, otherwise you'd get bands like Ulver who would never have found the sound that allowed them to really come into their own. Of course, there are times when the gamble doesn't pay off (Danzig and Kreator both went Industrial for a bit, Morbid Angel's last album divided opinion more any other, Megadeth did 'Risk'), but you never known what's going to stick if you don't even try, to borrow John Legend's line from La La Land, "how are you going to be a revolutionary when your such a traditionalist?"

I've not heard the second track but I did think Doris was....interesting. It's very Deftonesy which I have no issues with and one of the guitar players is a massive Korn fan which explains them stepping in that direction. It's a grower, maybe it's the high notes in the clean parts that are causing folk to throw their toys out of the pram. I liked their earlier stuff but they're doing something which sets them apart a bit and it's getting the 2005 crew's knickers in a twist.

• Paid Members

It's always a bit strange at the time of things like this happening because musical mis-steps usually get looked upon a little more fondly after time. It ends up being a part of a diverse catalogue rather than just being a death spell like people see it at the time.

Metal Hammers review of the album was pretty scathing and they likened it to Slayer's mis-step with Diabolous in Musica, i love that record though.

Not necessarily, the lineup rotates so he may not be there.

He wasn't. JAY FUCKING BENTLEY was on bass! I couldn't believe it when he walked out on stage. Was a really fun gig, a punk covers band could easily be a one trick pony but they were really good and the showmanship shone through.

Sounds good man, ive never seen the Gimme Gimmies. Was Chris Shiflett on guitar?

He was indeed. The support were Masked Intruder, who were fun. Their gimmick was they had a cop onstage with them keeping them in line. All in all a real fun night!