The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

Looks like they're doing these dates with Deftones & then onto Euro fests (inc Download). Surprised they're supporting as I thought they'd be playing big rooms themselves given their lack of activity over here.

Yeah, thought as much. I'll consider doing the day of Download that they're playing depending on who else plays that day.

Any Opeth fans on here? I've only really heard the track "sorceress", which I really liked. Any albums worth grabbing?

Blackwater Park is possibly their best work but you can't really go wrong with any album, they've been a solid band throughout. Damnation is real great prog-rock album, not metal whatsoever but my personal fav of theirs.

• Paid Members

Any Opeth fans on here? I've only really heard the track "sorceress", which I really liked. Any albums worth grabbing?

Deliverance is my fave, the last few minutes of the title track is one of my favourite bits in music ever. I like Ghost Reveries too but I don't think it's considered one of their best.

They've become a very different band now, they used to use lots of Death metal "dirty" vocals and heavy sections interchanging with softer jazz and prog style stuff. They've completely dropped the heavy death metal aspect on their last couple of albums however and gone in a much more 70s prog direction. They're still talented guys and I respect them doing what they want but for me the heavy parts were a big part of their appeal.

Ahh cool ok. I have been given a few albums (I think up until, and not including, Heritage?) so will check them out.

The prog stuff I'm "ok" with, as I like that sort of stuff anyway. Where does the "BWOOOOOR" style vocals drop off, as whilst I don't mind that in small doses, if its like all the time, I'll probably skip some of those albums hah.

Opeth one of my all time favourite bands, and got the emblem covering most of my upper arm.

Ghost Riveries is a great album, as are virtually all of them come to think of it, but Blackwater Park is considered both their masterpiece and a groundbreaking metal record to boot.

They've received an unfair amount of flack over the last three albums because they've headed in a different direction. If people were able to their head out of their arses they'd see that they (Heritage, Pale Communion and the most recent Sorceress) are great albums in their own right.

If you have Spotify, search 'Metal Talk' and you'll find a two part interview going over the history of the band in great detail and they have tunes from the periods they cover along the way too as you listen.

• Paid Members

Opeth -

They've received an unfair amount of flack over the last three albums because they've headed in a different direction. If people were able to their head out of their arses they'd see that they (Heritage, Pale Communion and the most recent Sorceress) are great albums in their own right.

I agree that the albums aren't a bad listen, the problem for me is like you said, they were a groundbreaking band. Now they're so dedicated to doing a tribute to 70s prog rock that They have a song in the style of the band Goblin and they called it Goblin. I think it would probably be the best day of Mikael Akerfelt's life if someone heard Opeth on the radio and thought it was a 40 year old record.

Don't get me wrong, my "head out of arses" comment wasn't aimed at anyone on here, more a general comment on the people who like to have a moan that they're not a death metal band anymore, which they never totally were to begin with, they had so much going on and were influenced from so many different things which is what drew so many to them in the first. The change in direction could be due to a number of factors, such as lineup chsnges over the years, but even then it is still very much Mikael's band the same way that Metallica is James' & Lars' band, Iron Maiden is Steve Harris' band and KISS is Gene & Paul's band.

They're at the stage now were they can do what they want to do, 12 albums in they're as big as they're going to get unless they wrote a new Dark Side of the Moon.

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

yeh, like everyone else is saying if you like that track you're probably better off starting with the newer stuff and working backwards. I like Opeth but i wouldn't consider myself a massive fan, mainly down to not have put the time into digesting the back catalogue, it's a hefty chunk of listening. I love Blackwater Park and Ghost Reveries though, great albums.

• Paid Members

yeh, i went to Hellfest last year, it's worth a trip.

I ain't going next year but that lineup is insane again. The Warzone stage which pretty much consists of the bands on the bottom section of the poster is amazing, it's a tiny little arena on it's own that's set up to look like a rusty old prison camp, great setting and the sound it crushing. Great stuff.