The Smartphone & associated apps discussion thread

David

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I got my wife a wileyfox swift 2. She loves it. It seems to be pretty solid to me. Uses USB-c to charge rather than micro usb though, which would put me off. She didn't care.

Wileyfox went into administration a couple of weeks ago. There might be a firesale of their remaining stock soon but I think you can forget any future support or software updates.

For the mid-price Android range, the Motorola G5 is supposed to be very good for its price though it must be coming up to nearly a year since it was released.

• Moderators
9 hours ago, PJ Power said:

Wileyfox went into administration a couple of weeks ago. There might be a firesale of their remaining stock soon but I think you can forget any future support or software updates.

And the OS company doesn't exist anymore either! No bother to me though; I'm happy to install the latest Lineage OS ROM myself.

• Paid Members

I'm not into smartphones at all, but I'm going to be in the market to buy one reasonably soon - my old Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini is packing up, with the battery barely lasting 6 hours when it's not doing anything, and not always recognising when a charger is plugged in.

I don't care about anything new or fancy, so long as I can get the bog-standard apps on there, so a decent version of Android to do social media stuff. I can't really afford to be forking out more than £100, £150 tops - are there any actually decent sub-£100 smartphones out there? All the ones on Amazon, even with good reviews, are brands I've never heard of, and I don't want to end up spending a chunk of change on a dodgy Chinese knock-off that doesn't work properly.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, JNLister said:

One more vote for the G4 from me, though given when I got it, the G5 would be the equivalent now. It's not got any manufacturer crap on it, so you get 'pure Android'. Never slows down and no battery life problems whatsoever.

There is a little bit of Motorola's own crap in there ("Gestures"), but apparently it's minimal and doesn't put unnecessary drain on the battery.

I don't know why I didn't look to Motorola as one of my first choices as I've had two of them in the past and they were both great, so I've taken the plunge and ordered a G5.

• Paid Members

The gestures are actually pretty useful . A waggle opens up the camera app ready to take a shot without needing to unlock the phone and go through the menus, a shake turns the flashlight on, and putting the phone face down puts it into silent mode.

• 5 months later...
  • Paid Members

I got a new Samsung S9 Plus from EE, upgrading from my S7 Edge. Because of delivery issues, they refunded me the £209 early upgrade fee and the £70 upfront cost for the handset and threw in a Samsung Gear S3 Sport smart watch for free. I only had to wait an extra week for the phone and they did all this as a "goodwill gesture"

S9 Plus is lovely by the way. Smooth as butter. I loved my S7 Edge, too, so it looks like I've left iPhones behind forever. I will not be rooting my S9 as I did with my S7 as you're not able to use Google or Samsung Pay if your phone is rooted. Samsung Pay is so convenient. I don't need to bring my Oyster or debit cards anywhere anymore and I don't even have to take my phone out of my pocket as Samsung Pay works from my watch.