DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members

Talking of Chris Penn, he was one of only a smattering of good things about the Hollywood production of Fist Of The North Star. Chris Penn as Jagi ("Jackal" in this movie), Vader as Goliath (made up for the movie), Malcolm MacDowell as Ryuken, and Gary Daniels making a decent fist of things (even with the Hundred-Hand Strike being severely pussied down).

• Paid Members

Best of The Best 4

Better than 3, not as good as 1 or 2. Basically.

Better bad guys, better supporting cast (Ernie Hudson :thumbsup:) better actions scenes, better plot. Tits too. Still a little bit too Bruce Lee though, with one scene being pretty much a copy of the dojo fight from Fist of Fury.

The script is a little iffy in some places, and Rhee is only a so-so actor anyway, but it's pretty much what you'd expect from the better US martial arts flicks of the time.

White Dog - Brilliant thriller/horror movie good start to a weekend of dvd viewing to miss the world cup as much as i can

Tony - London Serial Killer , brilliant creepy and eerie horror movie well worth looking into comedy in some scenes and pretty grim in some also

Both well worth looking into ....

• Paid Members

Saw Four Lions last night. I thought it was tremendous. It's really, really funny with an almost constant barrage of LOL lines. I actually missed the start so I never really saw an explanation for why any of them have the feelings they have. So the story appeared to me to bit shallow but I'd need to see the beginning to see if that is addressed.

• Paid Members

Watched a couple of films this week....

Precious - Award winning flick about a morbidly obese black girl struggling with abject poverty, learning difficulties, incest & mental and physical abuse in 80's Harlem. Not exactly laugh a minute stuff as you might imagine but an absolutely tremendous film. Given the absolutely horrible subject material this could've easily been unwatchable if handled badly, thankfully both the direction & performances are understated and never gratuitous. The cast is uniformly fantastic with the lead, Gabourey Sidibe delivering a heartbreaking performance. Small roles from Mariah Carey & Lenny Kravitz are understated & never take you out of the film but the absolute standout is US comic Mo'Nique who plays Precious' mother. This is the best acting job I've seen in years, just thinking about certain scenes make me feel uneasy now. Her monologue at the end of the film is as good as any I've seen and I defy anyone to not be watching through your fingers or hugging a cushion when she asks to hold Precious' new born baby. I can see a lot of people writing this film off as Oscar-baiting schmaltz but it's sooo much more than that. 5 stars. 10/10. 2 thumbs up.

Hot Tub Time Machine - Probably about as far from the above as you can get. The premise is in the title & is as ridiculous as it sounds, however, there's some genuinely laugh out loud moments & if you're a big John Cusack fan like me you'll get a kick out of him being in something better than 2012! The cast appear to be having a laugh & I can't remember the last time I saw Chevy Chase which was a nice surprise. This isn't a film that'll stay with you but perfect for a night in with pizza & beer.

• Paid Members

Oh yeah, totally forgot about Precious. Agreed with The Big Dog on this, particularly regarding Monique's outstanding performance. Also I didn't initially recognise Mariah Carey and her performance didn't make her stand out for any negative reason. She's done well there.

• Paid Members

watched Fighting this evening...throwback 90's fight movie, 10 years ago it would have starred Jean Claude Van Damme, this was a slightly more realistic approach and was pretty much cliche guff. Despite flaws though it was very watchable, i'm a sucker for this kind of shit.

Benny and Joon Great little film here, heard nothing about it really but saw it on TCM (underrated movie channel, saw some classics on here in recent weeks/months including De Palma's 'Blow Out'), decided to record it and I had a really nice time watching it. Great soundtrack, interesting characters and some fine acting (particularly from Johnny Depp and Mary Stuart Masterson...you know, the drummer girl from 'Some Kind of Wonderful'). Really heart warming stuff in this one as Johnny Depp's Buster Keaton inspired Sam (who likes to make cheese toasties using an iron) moves in with Benny (Aidan Quinn, who you will have seen in something) and the very slightly mentally Joon (Masterson). Check it out!

• Paid Members
Benny and Joon Great little film here, heard nothing about it really but saw it on TCM (underrated movie channel, saw some classics on here in recent weeks/months including De Palma's 'Blow Out'), decided to record it and I had a really nice time watching it. Great soundtrack, interesting characters and some fine acting (particularly from Johnny Depp and Mary Stuart Masterson...you know, the drummer girl from 'Some Kind of Wonderful'). Really heart warming stuff in this one as Johnny Depp's Buster Keaton inspired Sam (who likes to make cheese toasties using an iron) moves in with Benny (Aidan Quinn, who you will have seen in something) and the very slightly mentally Joon (Masterson). Check it out!

yeh my girlfriend made me watch that a few months ago, i'd never heard of it. Odd little romance movie, it's good stuff.