DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

13 Beloved

It's a movie made in Thailand. A guy loses his job and is in loads of debt. He has pressures from family too. He gets a phone call saying that if he completes 13 challenges, he's going to win 100 Baht. He decides to dive in, knowing that on his say so, he can pull out. This is absolutely crazy and the challenges range from the absolutely ridiculous to the downright horrifying. One in particular left me wondering what the fuck I was watching. The climax of it all is the real gem though, and completely out of nowhere. I absolutely loved this movie.

Land Girls

Anna Friel, Rachel Weisz and Catherine Mc Cormack.. Story about er, Land Girls... in World War II Their lives their loves and their tribulations.

Okay nothing much really happens to be honest, but it is a good film and has a lil twist at the end as well.

Entertaining

The Karate Kid (remake) - FUCK OFF!!!!!

It's embarrassingly bad. One guy on IMDB claimed that it's a visible step above the original. I hope he gets aids in his eyes.

The Losers - Me and the missus could only stomach about 20 minutes of this before we decided to jack it in. I don't ask a lot from these types of movies but there was something about this that seemed very rushed, with very little explanation and with uninteresting and unlikeable characters. For the most part it was boring and unoriginal.

Not a good weekend for movies. I'm just glad I decided to watch American Gangster again on Friday. I'm so gay for Denzal.

• Paid Members

I finally saw Burn After Reading on Saturday. It was enjoyable. Clooney and John Malkovich were a hoot. Overall though, I didn't think it was on the level of Fargo or No Country For Old Men. I've got a load of Coen Brothers stuff on my "to watch" list like Blood Simple, Raising Arizona, Hudsucker Proxy, Big Lebowski and A Serious Man. I hope they're all closer to Fargo in quality too.

• Paid Members

I watched Adventures in Babysitting on Sky Movies this morning while I was getting ready for work. Haven't seen it since I was a kid. Absolute pure 80's goodness...

Last night I watched The Damned United. Was quite scary at times when you saw Michael Sheen (especially in the green jumper) and how he got Brian Clough bang on. Decent enough flick...

I finally saw Burn After Reading on Saturday. It was enjoyable. Clooney and John Malkovich were a hoot. Overall though, I didn't think it was on the level of Fargo or No Country For Old Men. I've got a load of Coen Brothers stuff on my "to watch" list like Blood Simple, Raising Arizona, Hudsucker Proxy, Big Lebowski and A Serious Man. I hope they're all closer to Fargo in quality too.

Burn After Reading, O'Brother Where Art Thou and The Big Lebowski are my favourite Coen Brother films. No Country For Old Men is also enjoyable but the comedies are where they excel for me.

• Paid Members

Burn After Reading, O'Brother Where Art Thou and The Big Lebowski are my favourite Coen Brother films. No Country For Old Men is also enjoyable but the comedies are where they excel for me.

Burn After Reading is a bit of a let down but I do agree that the Coens excel at comedy. The Big Lebowski, O' Brother Where Art Thou and Raising Arizona are all fantastic.

Burn After Reading is a bit of a let down but I do agree that the Coens excel at comedy. The Big Lebowski, O' Brother Where Art Thou and Raising Arizona are all fantastic.

I wasn't keen on Raising Arizona. I just love how querky Burn After Reading was. It was very random and hit all the right spots for me.

• Paid Members

Sin Nombre - A family attempt to cross the Mexican border to start a new life with relatives in the US, but end up crossing paths with a local gang. I can't say much more without spoiling it, but it's definitely worth a watch if you're a fan of films in the vein of City Of God.

One Night In Mongkok - When a gangland war escalates, a hitman is sent in to clean up the mess, finding himself pursuing his designated hit through the city while befriending a vulnerable prostitute and dodging a police inspector. Found this in Cash Converters for a mere

Edited by Stug Rivers

Bit of a film fest last night with a few films seguing into each other

Started on Channel 5 with Be Kind Rewind. So you have Jack Black and Mos Def playing the characters (or type) of characters they always seem to play in movies in a film about a video store whos film gets wiped in a building that is condemned. Then we have some schmaltzy American Dream we can do this to try and save the shop and the building as the incredularity builds.

Basically its a remake of Batteries Not Included. Instead of the Diner you have a Video Store.. Instead of the aliens you have the local neighbour trying to help in this magical adventure. and so on Including the two 'mechanics' who can help fix things and have a crisis of concious. The problem, is that this film is a big pile of Donkey Pooh. Too many walking cliches trying to be sweet and feelgood with lots of swearing and stuff, doesnt really work for me. The ending is kind of bitter- sweet, but urgh it stunk.

Marginally better was Green Street on ITV 4 Frodo of West Ham Utd, Danny Blu from Hustle and Jake from East Enders among others star in a convoluted mess of a film That revolves around an ex Harvard Student framed for Drug Dealing getting caught up in Hooliganism in Lahn-don and some how making amends by the English getting fucked over and the Yanks winning as coming out pretty much unscathed by the end of it

My god its a mess of a film the plot is full of holes and the ending with a brawl reminded me of Chrissie and the baby from Grange Hill when here and Justine walked through a wasteground of kids kicking the shite out of each other.

You want to watch a decent hoolligan film watch I.D

Finally watched A Shot for Glory which was on after Green Street. If you can get past Robert Duvall, ey? with his scottish accent and Ally Mc Coist's acting plus some weird head adjustments inc seeing Ally as a Celtic player ( even though in character its clear some of the footage used had been adjusted to compensate.

Other than that it isnt bad.. Michael Keaton is not really worth it but the film has one massive plus point.

Brian Cox as the Rangers Manager Martin Smith is fantastic.. A proper bad ass, his involvement in the film is a joy to behold and I recommend anyone watching just to see that performance.

Finally watched A Shot for Glory which was on after Green Street. If you can get past Robert Duvall, ey? with his scottish accent and Ally Mc Coist's acting plus some weird head adjustments inc seeing Ally as a Celtic player ( even though in character its clear some of the footage used had been adjusted to compensate.

Other than that it isnt bad.. Michael Keaton is not really worth it but the film has one massive plus point.

Brian Cox as the Rangers Manager Martin Smith is fantastic.. A proper bad ass, his involvement in the film is a joy to behold and I recommend anyone watching just to see that performance.

Thats on again tonight I think, headsup for those who wish to be put through the pain.

• Awards Moderator
Lollilove - Fucking magic. Naturally Jenna Fischer and James Gunn have fantastic chemistry together due to being married at the time, but such a great piece of work. Absolutely note perfect in terms of production values, and just littered with gags from start to finish. Only an hour or so, but I can't recommend it enough.

I nabbed a copy of this after reading your recommendation the other month, as you have a cracking comedy radar. Only just got round to watching it and can't believe I left it so long. This is an absolute gem of a film, with some brilliant writing, timing and as you said, really cleverly produced. That list at the start, when they're deciding what cause their charity would be, is absolute gold. I can see this being one of those films I'll watch every month or so and each time, get on to something new which I missed the time before due to laughing my tits off.

Great recommendation NEWM; everyone should check this out.

"SHIT! My pen is running out. Why does the world keep fucking me?"