DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members
Punisher: War Zone is amazing though.

I liked it, most like the comics Punisher has been, shame it wasn't a bigger hit, I don't think we'll see another Punisher film for a while after 3 failed attempts. A shame really, he's one of the easiest characters to do right.

• Paid Members
I hated Green Hornet, it's in the bottom 3 masked crimefighter movie adaptations of all time.

The other 2 being the Shadow and the Spirit, I'm geussing.

'STEEL' starring Shaquille O Neal is pretty fucking awful, so's Spawn.

I liked it, most like the comics Punisher has been, shame it wasn't a bigger hit, I don't think we'll see another Punisher film for a while after 3 failed attempts. A shame really, he's one of the easiest characters to do right.

Warzone is great and the Thomas Jane one does some things right, but it was too sterile down for a Punisher film. The Dolph Lundgren one was good, but only a Punisher film by name

Going back to The Cabin In The Woods for a moment, here's a long, spoiler-riffic review that I find myself agreeing with:

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

WARNING: This review contains major GRUMPINESS

I liked THE CABIN IN THE WOODS, but it

• Paid Members

I believe they are planning a TV series. Could work well but who knows.

Just got back from Cabin in the Woods. Great fun, the comedy was spot on. It will be a game changer in that it will make a shed load of money and spawn some clones but its no more revalutionary than Tucker & Dale Vs Evil. Fantastic fun though.

I don't think Cabin in the Woods has actually done that well on the box office actually. There's a train of thought that not letting on about what goes on has meant that the type of person who'd like it has stayed away thinking it's your bog standard teen horror - and the ones who like bog standard teen horrors that did go see it were disappointed so word of mouth was poor.

If anything I think the film is getting bogged down in both its positive reviews, and the negative reaction to them.

I don't think its necessarily a film that needs, or stands up well, to the sort of weighty, pseudo-intellectual analysis it gets. It's a big, dumb Hollywood horror film that is really fucking fun to watch. Is it on an intellectual level higher than shit like Snakes On A Plane or the Piranha films? ...Yeah, probably, but not by much. It's plot reveals aren't massively clever, they're just really fun. I think the main feather in the films bow is that its really well paced, and they don't blow their load early on.

Beyond that, it's just a really entertaining film. That was my only desire from it.

• Paid Members

I saw it this evening and yeah, I just had a lot of fun watching it. I haven't watched anything with Whedon stamped all over it for a while so I enjoyed the dialogue, laughed at most of the gags and warmed to the characters.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

I liked some of the smaller touches, like Thor and his girlfriend having enough wit and likeability about them before they got to the cabin that their transformation into the slasher movie stereotypes was quite jarring.

Obviously when they pulled the lever and sent the blood down after the first kill it was clear what was going on, but I agree with daz that the reveals were fun and I don't think they were ever intended to be mindblowing. the bit in the lift where they see some of the monsters they could have won just built up anticipation for the hell that was unleashed in the last half hour or so.

I was pleased to see that Richard Jenkins is in it too, though this is the first time I've bothered to look up his name and always identify him as the psychiatrist from There's Something about Mary.

Lastly, I love Amy Acker more than is healthy and was hoping that she'd be in this. She was essentially playing Whiskey from Dollhouse, only this was much better than Dollhouse.

The clown kill was horrible, the unicorn kill was amusing and the Merman blowing blood out through his blow hole was tremendous.

The whiteboard when they were taking bets on which monster would be summoned had "Angry molesting tree" on it. Did we see that?

EDIT: That's an Evil Dead reference. I am slow.

Erm, something out of ten, very entertaining.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();
Edited by JLM

I don't think its necessarily a film that needs, or stands up well, to the sort of weighty, pseudo-intellectual analysis it gets. It's a big, dumb Hollywood horror film that is really fucking fun to watch

I have a lot of time for you daz, but I think this is wrong. It's a film that works off knowledge, history, tropes, cliches and genre structure. You absolutely can enjoy it as good old fashioned fun and there's nothing wrong with doing so, but it is a film that has a great deal of subtext and the entire structure is deliberately put in place to provide a commentary on horror movies, the demands of the audience, voyeurism, expectation, etc, etc. It is a film that demands in-depth analysis, whether or not it can stand up to it.

• Paid Members

Ermac isn't it? I haven't seen it in a while.

In a move similar to Street Fighter: The Movie, James Remar as Raiden carries this film the way Raul Julia did, albeit not as well. I can watch him flip through walls all day though.