DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members

I'm still not entirely clear on what Rain did wrong. Bless him.

Ermac fights Sonia at the end because she has nothing else to do during the final showdown.

Edited by JLM

In a February 2001 interview with fansite Total Mortal Kombat, actress Marjean Holden (Sheeva) expressed her displeasure at the filmmakers' treatment of her character. In the shooting script and novelization, Sheeva met her demise in an extensive fight scene with newly mortal Raiden, but the scene was never filmed and her screen time was scant in the finished print, with Raiden instead fighting two Raptors and Sheeva's death simply coming from a falling cage. "Here was a character, that was one of the most popular [in] the video game...and they killed her without even so much as a fight! Something I was not happy about at all. That was one of the reasons I wanted to do the role, was for the sheer fact that there were really great fights in the movie for this character, and they all got cut out."

• Paid Members

I like to imagine that the DVD has a good half hour's worth of deleted scenes for Rain. Some back story about how, when he was a child, it would often start raining when he felt sad. How people wouldn't let him join their sports games because he'd bring bad weather, and then he got sad because they wouldn't let him play, which only caused more bad weather. He only works for Shao Khan because his parents are dead and he needs to raise money to take care of his little brother Light Drizzle.

Also I like that Marjean Holden still buys the stuff they fed her about Sheeva being one of the most popular characters even after they blatantly lied about the significance of her role in the film.

• Paid Members

Just watched Witchfinder General, for the first time in 15 or so years. It's just as good as I remember, and I see it as a real direction changer for this kind of movie. Sure, Dracula and Frankenstein are nasty pieces of work, but their inhumanity comes from, well, their inhumanity. Michael Reeves really did something special with what could've been a really staid production, reportedly being a dick to Vincent Price to get an actual performance out of the guy, instead of the (admittedly awesome, but not exactly genuinely scary) VINCENT PRICE acting job, where he portrays Vincent Price. If I can't sleep, I'm watching Mark of the Devil next, which I also haven't seen for half a lifetime, but which I'm pretty sure is a gorier, less pleasant, less well acted (despite Herbert Lom) xerox of Witchfinder General.

I blame the horror thread, but after a few quiet years, I'm back in a horrormood.

• Paid Members
I hate Me And You And Everyone We Know. Miranda July can fuck off. What a waste of a fucking evening, I could have been watching SOMETHING GOOD.

I remember enjoying it, but at the same time, all I remember about it now is the emoticon.

I'd had enough when she wrote on the shoes. Ugh.

I enjoyed it (along with the new one 'The Future' which is more in the same vein). I cana see why Miranda July's stuff tends to polarise though - it's relentlessly whimsical and cutsey without a terrible amount of substance. I like those sort of films, but they're definately comfort viewing.

• Paid Members

I knew I would hate it after 5 minutes. It's the worst kind of forced whimsy heavy indie crap. I'm amazed I stuck it out for more than half its length.

Edited by Gladstone Small

• Paid Members

Just found this piece on Joss Whedon on Letterboxd. It's pretty much spot on as well. It's from a review of Cabin In The Woods but I've not included or read that bit for spoilery reasons but I've included the link at the bottom if you do.

Seeing as we're not supposed to be spoiler-y on this thing lest we offend the horde, I will use this space mostly to work out my feelings on Joss Whedon.

I'm not a fan. I've seen a lot of Buffy, just a bit of Angel, just a bit of Firefly (apathetic), Serenity (just cause), Dr Horrible (apathetic). I like Alien 4 for Jeunet mostly.

I heard it opined once that theres a couple kinds of male nerds. One is the manboy who likes metal, hard sci fi, robots... he's still a nerd but he likes his swords and his boobs. Then there's the more effeminate wussy nerd who likes cutesy Nintendo stuff, and anime, Death Cab for Cutie, and loves him some Joss Whedon. This is an offensive simplification but if there is any truth to be had here, I'm surely in the former camp.

I feel like Whedon is the Ryan Murphy of nerd culture. Catty, campy, with an obnoxious LA sheen over everything. He's too concerned with switcheroos and obvious callbacks. Even his jocks and sluts are catty. For me his characters run together more than Kevin Smith's can, always speaking in the authors voice, but unlike Smith, reeking of an overabundance of effort, and overacting instead of not acting. And like Murphy, the quality of his writing from episode to episode, project to project, varies VERY widely. I can't connect with his characters, his casting gravitating to plastic people he can toss in whatever clothes supposedly fit the broad character archetype he is aiming for. Their line readings are almost always overrehearsed, the dialogue is decidedly mass appeal but never hit my sweet spot, as I always see the ironically distant wink, and always see how much better they could be if he brought in naturally funny people to elevate them, rather than hope against hope that his models will be funny.

Even his skeevy loser stoner is a model dreamboat he's just shoved into the right clothes, tossing a joint in his mouth and saying "Yep, done!" - This guy - www.lostinthemultiplex.com/images/fran-kranz.jpg - Doesn't he just scream skeevy stoner you guys? Right? People complain about Michael Bay's Maxim model casting, but don't speak up about Whedon. Why? Because his models are sensitive?

http://letterboxd.com/coreypierce/film/the...n-in-the-woods/

I'd disagree slightly in that I think Kevin Smith is far more indulgent with his characters speaking in his own voice than Whedon is. Also the point about casting a good looking guy but dressing him up as a stoner is hardly something to lay exclusively at Whedon's door. That's the industry. Plus, acting is about dress up.