DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

Watched IP Man and IP Man 2 on Film Four last night. They are good, but not as utterly amazing as people make out. Well shot, well choreographed chopsocky, with elements of Bullet in the Head, and various other films chucked in. IP Man 2 is basically Rocky 4 though :omg:

The other day, I rewatched Robocop, after someone had posted quotes on it on their FB page. Its still good and sparks along. At 26 years old (Filmed Summer of 1986!) it is beginning to creep a little and though most of the special fx are great (The stop motion helps it as opposed to CGI) It was all looking a bit tired. I can see why it's going to be rebooted. Doesnt stop it being a fantastic film though.

• Paid Members

I finally got round to watching Into The Abyss last night; I'm still on a bit of a downer after watching it, ha. The most striking part is when they're showing police footage of the crime scene (with blood and bodies etc) and the music/cello floats in and haunts the scene.It's fairly well balanced, considering Herzog makes it clear from the beginning that he's against the death penalty and that he doesn't like the two murderers. As always, he asks the questions that seem to get the deepest most honest response (well apart from the two murderers, who blame each other for the deaths). The final scene going on about the "dash" is quite something.If you watch it, make sure you have Toy Story or something to stick on after it.

Yeah its pretty bleak. I love Herzog's style though, he doesn't tend to ask questions, more he allows people to speak then questions their feelings at specific times.The documentary and the series has definitly changed my opinion about the death penalty though. It made it look like such a cold and cruel act, the executioners interview really got to me.Can someone dig up the old documentary thread? I cant find it.

• Paid Members

Ebb you made it.

http://ukff.com/index.php?showtopic=124838&hl=doc+thread

Whilst I'm here i watched The Descent last night after seeing it mentioned in the Horror thread. As soon as i saw the creatures or whatever i totally lost interest and decided to turn it off 20 mins later.

Edited by Fox Piss

Just finished watching Abyss for the first time in probably a decade. It's really not aged well. Even taking into account that Film4 hacked chunks out of it, the whole thing is pretty disjointed, and the aliens just look really dodgy now. Also, the ending is STILL shit.

Watched Cabin last night. As a long time horror fan, I did enjoy it. Not a genre-changer by a long shot, but it was a lot of fun for what it was I thought.

Just one question that I had which may have been explained but I missed it..

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

How were the kids set up/chosen in the first place?

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

I watched Kevin Smith's Red State this evening. All I really knew about it before hand was it was his horror project so what I got I wasn't exactly expecting. It isn't really a horror film at all. There's some good dialogue and performances but the story is pretty flat and there just doesn't seem to be a point to it at all. Quite an odd one.

I also saw Tucker and Dale Vs Evil the other day which was great fucking fun. It's very funny and just a blast too watch, Alan Tudyk and Tyler Labine are great as the titular hillbillies. Definitely recommend this one.

I thought Red State was terrible on a story level. I expected better from Kevin Smith, which was probably foolish of me.

Been watching the George Romero zombie films recently. What other films are in the same vein? Are the Return of the Living Dead films worth watching?

I wouldn't say they're anywhere near in the same league. I always disliked the Return of the Living Dead series (although they're probably better than Romero's last couple of zombie films). I'd recommend Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days Later, Zack Snyder's Dawn of the Dead.

Anyone seen Deadgirl?

Edited by King Pitcos

Saw Battleship last week and have to say I enjoyed it more than recent films with the theme of Aliens landing and being very pissed off whilst totally superior to us in every way possible. Yes it's shallow and there are bits that do not make sense under scrutiny, plus very cheesy at the end in a way only American films can be but, if you go knowing exactly what kind of film you're going to see, it's enjoyable and very funny in parts.