DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members
He has indeed beome awful, but is there not a case to be made for him as one of horror's great directors?

Probably, but his track record over the last fifteen years is just atrocious. I'm talking the Wes Craven of now being unable to do anything with the notion of Scream 4. The Wes Craven of Cursed and My Soul to Take.

Ditto with John Carpenter, although he hasn't exactly been churning them out of late, The Ward was so terrible, it blows your mind that that, and Ghosts of Mars, were the same guy who had the run of Dark Star, Precinct 13, Halloween, The Fog, Escape from New York, The Thing and so on. Unlike sports, where broke-down athletes have to retire, directors get to show the world just how badly they've lost it.

It is far more depressing to see how far Carpenter's star has fallen than it is Craven's. Did he just lose the touch with age or something?

Anyway, I saw Cabin In The Woods myself and loved it. I agree with some criticisms I've read but for me it just hit all the right buttons.

Crazy Heart

The Wrestler for the CMT crowd. Jeff Bridges was good, as was the cinematography and shush dont let anyone hear me say it Colin Farrell. However the rest of it was utter tosh, slow derivative and boring. Maggie Gyllenhal was utterly wasted as the 'mom' and Robert Duvall, was just there. I wouldnt recommend it other than to see Jeff Bridges do a Mickey Rourke, Randy 'The Ram' Robinson type performance. Meh

• Paid Members
Cannibal: The Musical.

I enjoyed it more than I did last time I watched it back in about 2001, so that was a pleasant surprise.

Have you watched it with the commentary track yet?

My copy doesn't seem to have one sadly, otherwise I would have without question.

What's wrong with Colin Farrell?

Generally, I hate him in everything I've ever seen him in. It's an irrational hate, but in everything Ive seen bar, Crazy Heart[, he has immediately made me want to punch him in the face as he just irritates the hell out of us. That includes having seen him in Ordinary Decent Criminal (underated film imho), Minority Report (Tom Cruise and Colin Farell, shudder), Scrubs, Phone Booth , S.W.A.T, Miami Vice, Alexander and In Bruges.

I've mentioned this several times over the years on here iirc.

• Paid Members
People who don't love In Bruges shouldn't be allowed to watch films.

I think you called us Mike Castle, last time this came up.

And rightly so. There's no hope for you, pat.

No hope?

Damn! Who'd have thunk not liking a film that the board seems to love qualifies as being lost, beyond redemption?

An unfunny film that pokes fun at dwarfs, fat foreigners and so on, whilst having a shoe horned in love interest, having woeful dialogue and it being deathly dull for large parts. Yeah, sorry for not liking it.

• Paid Members

No hope?

Damn! Who'd have thunk not liking a film that the board seems to love qualifies as being lost, beyond redemption?

An unfunny film that pokes fun at dwarfs, fat foreigners and so on, whilst having a shoe horned in love interest, having woeful dialogue and it being deathly dull for large parts. Yeah, sorry for not liking it.

Oh piss off, pat. Fucking hell.

See, until that last line, I was thinking, 'Ah, no need to crucify the guy, it's just his opinion', but now? Fuck you.

Oh piss off, pat. Fucking hell.

Thanks guys, double teamed because I dont happen to like a film you rate/like/love/think is the best thing since sliced bread/whatever. Cheers