DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

Just finished the Duane Barry/Ascension double header from S2 of the X-Files and what a cracking pair of episodes they are.

Funnily enough I watched this the other day as I'm a huge fan of Steve Railsback ever since I saw him in a film called Turkey Shoot a long time ago. The X files was really good the first 3 or 4 seasons wasn't it?

I only watched up until I think it was early S3 (and even then I missed a lot of episodes) during the original run but recently bought the entire series on DVD so I'll be watching the vast majority of the series for the first time.

Really enjoying S2 so far just finished One Breath and it reminded me that Skinner is an awesome character.

Battleship Potemkin

I really enjoyed this.It came highly recommended but I wasn't sure if I'd actually enjoy it as much as I did.My appreciation for silent cinema isn't what it

should be but it's getting there.

The film is very well directed and edited with a great score to match.

The bit with the townspeople is fantastically done.The image of the baby carrige racing down the steps is a superbly shot and edited ramping up the tension to an incredible degree

Though I thought it lost a bit of steam toward the end it it was still a great movie.I'd recomment it too anybody with an interest in

silent cinema

Edited by wh1007

Just finished the Duane Barry/Ascension double header from S2 of the X-Files and what a cracking pair of episodes they are.

Funnily enough I watched this the other day as I'm a huge fan of Steve Railsback ever since I saw him in a film called Turkey Shoot a long time ago. The X files was really good the first 3 or 4 seasons wasn't it?

I only watched up until I think it was early S3 (and even then I missed a lot of episodes) during the original run but recently bought the entire series on DVD so I'll be watching the vast majority of the series for the first time.

Really enjoying S2 so far just finished One Breath and it reminded me that Skinner is an awesome character.

X files takes a slight dip on non mythology episodes from season 4 onwards (though there are a few brilliant episodes mixed in there).

season 8/9 are where it gets a little slow.

with you on the Duane Barry/Ascension double bill, 2 brilliant episodes. the S2 finale is a favourite also.

• Paid Members

Watched the Spanish horror Atrocious last night. It's one of those "found footage" films based on a ghost in the woods. It creeped my girlfriend and I the fuck out to the point where we had to watch the Simpsons before going to bed to relax again :p It hasn't got great reviews on IMDB but I'd definitely recommend it. Just turn off the lights.

Watched the Spanish horror Atrocious last night. It's one of those "found footage" films based on a ghost in the woods. It creeped my girlfriend and I the fuck out to the point where we had to watch the Simpsons before going to bed to relax again :p It hasn't got great reviews on IMDB but I'd definitely recommend it. Just turn off the lights.

Strangely enough, that's my pick for tonight. Quite looking forward to it.

Watched 'Blood Night- The Legend of Mary Hatchet' earlier on. Utter trash, very derived teenage horror, not enough laughs or inventive kills and Bill Moseley as the only selling point fails to ham it up sufficiently to make this worth watching.

• Paid Members
Just watched The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane which sounds wrong but it's a horribly underrated film, i had never even heard of it till yesterday when talking about Taxi Driver. Martin Sheen is one hell of a creepy bastard in it too.

I had the idea viewing experience the one time I saw that - was staying at my grandparents caravan in Ingoldmells, and they were out for the night (I was about 9) - watched it on their tiny portable, wrapped in a blanket with it pissing it down outside, drinking Mint Options and eating some apple lattice tarts from farmfoods. Was a chilling movie, she was blinding in it, and I couldn't believe the darkness of the whole exercise.

• Paid Members
Just watched The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane which sounds wrong but it's a horribly underrated film, i had never even heard of it till yesterday when talking about Taxi Driver. Martin Sheen is one hell of a creepy bastard in it too.

Gladders needs to do a 'My Best Film: Martin Sheen thread' hes been in some cracking films

I'm watching the Josie Long DVD, Trying is Good. It's very frustrating, because there's some really good stuff but she's all too keen to spoil everything with this overegged studenty punchline delivery and it irritates the fuck out of me. Also, she genuinely has the mannerisms of a child with Downs Syndrome. I'd like to see how her act is different these days.

Edited by King Pitcos

• Paid Members

Gladders needs to do a 'My Best Film: Martin Sheen thread' hes been in some cracking films

Correct, he was in Spawn

• Paid Members

Correct, he was in Spawn

The thread would be 'My Best Film' not 'My Biggest Bags Of Shite'.