DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members

Watched 3 films this weekend:

The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans

One of those mental Nic Cage roles that works, totally seperate from the Abel Ferrara film of the same name (no idea why they used the title at all to be honest) Hes a drugged up corrupt cop with everything going to shit. Well worth seeing and Werner Herzog flicks from restrained Direction to Lizard point of view shots for reasons known only to him.

Conan The Barbarian

Exactly what you'd expect it to be, Bit disappointed to be honest. Tries to stick more to the original stories than the original film but suffers for it. If you like seeing people getting stabbed with swords then this is the film for you.

Innerspace

Still an absolutley cracking film. The miniture effects in it still stand up today and show just how lazy CGI has made some films. Saying that I still hate Martin Short

• Paid Members
Innerspace

Still an absolutley cracking film. The miniture effects in it still stand up today and show just how lazy CGI has made some films. Saying that I still hate Martin Short

I caught that today and it was still excellent fun. Meg Ryan was so lovely.

It's brilliant. I don't talk to people who don't like it.

• Paid Members

Although I've been moaning recently about how derivative and poor Asian horror films have become on the whole, if more of them were as inventive and well told as The Booth then they might be in a better state.

It's almost told in real time, which can cause a film to be completely awful or completely awesome, and is about a DJ broadcasting from a spooky old studio where a DJ hung himself a few decades before and sees his past coming to haunt him in more ways than one.

It throws in several really great twists and turns and does not tread the same 'scary long-haired girl ghoul' route as these films usually do. Totally engrossing and at 73 minutes, you can squeeze it in somewhere with no bother.

• Moderators
Conan The Barbarian

Exactly what you'd expect it to be, Bit disappointed to be honest. Tries to stick more to the original stories than the original film but suffers for it. If you like seeing people getting stabbed with swords then this is the film for you.

Innerspace

Is Conan a war movie, or is it more like an adventure/quest type movie like the Arnie ones? The trailer made it look like a war movie and I don't like war movies... I'm still tossing up whether to bother watching this or not.

I also watched Innerspace on TV as it happens. I can't see how you don't like Martin Short. I like both his films; this and Three Amigos.

• Paid Members
Is Conan a war movie, or is it more like an adventure/quest type movie like the Arnie ones? The trailer made it look like a war movie and I don't like war movies... I'm still tossing up whether to bother watching this or not.

Conan is the typical Adventure/Quest film, couple of bif fight scenes but its not a war film.

I also watched Innerspace on TV as it happens. I can't see how you don't like Martin Short. I like both his films; this and Three Amigos.

:laugh:

We Need to talk about Kevin

A mother tries to come to terms with the fact her boy killed a bunch of people.

This is getting really great reviews so the misses wanted to see it (and she doesnt want to see much) so we went on saturday night to see it.

This is certainly a strange film. on one hand you have what can only be described as some of the most drawn in acting I`ve seen. So much so that I actually wanted to beat the shit out of an 8 year old kid. I found the acting of everyone involved, especially the Kids that play Kevin, to be the best I`ve seen. Without a doubt a milestone in child acting. On the other hand the bordering on Arthouse style of direction killed it, or made it depending on how you see it.

I can only guess that the direction and look was intended from the get go, the difficult to follow time jumps and the constant redness of the shots pissed me off, but I dont know if that is a direct emphasis placed there to make you feel uncomfortable or just mistakenly overused by the director.

It is a difficult film to sit through without feeling something, uncomfortableness, passion, hatred, empathy, deliberate or unintentional it worked. I can only imagine what a family going through this situation would feel like but the film gave a pinch in 110minutes what these familys must be feeling 24 hours a day.

Its worth a watch but only the once. I dont see myself rewatching it on special edition 2 disc dvd but I`m glad I got to see it. It may not be great viewing as an enjoyment but the discussion I had in work with others who have seen it opened it up to a whole other level.

• Paid Members
We Need to talk about Kevin

A mother tries to come to terms with the fact her boy killed a bunch of people.

This is getting really great reviews so the misses wanted to see it (and she doesnt want to see much) so we went on saturday night to see it.

This is certainly a strange film. on one hand you have what can only be described as some of the most drawn in acting I`ve seen. So much so that I actually wanted to beat the shit out of an 8 year old kid. I found the acting of everyone involved, especially the Kids that play Kevin, to be the best I`ve seen. Without a doubt a milestone in child acting. On the other hand the bordering on Arthouse style of direction killed it, or made it depending on how you see it.

I can only guess that the direction and look was intended from the get go, the difficult to follow time jumps and the constant redness of the shots pissed me off, but I dont know if that is a direct emphasis placed there to make you feel uncomfortable or just mistakenly overused by the director.

It is a difficult film to sit through without feeling something, uncomfortableness, passion, hatred, empathy, deliberate or unintentional it worked. I can only imagine what a family going through this situation would feel like but the film gave a pinch in 110minutes what these familys must be feeling 24 hours a day.

Its worth a watch but only the once. I dont see myself rewatching it on special edition 2 disc dvd but I`m glad I got to see it. It may not be great viewing as an enjoyment but the discussion I had in work with others who have seen it opened it up to a whole other level.

Fucking blinding book, so I really want to see the film version.

I really wish the mother and daughters were better actors, but the TV presenters were all excellent, and I loved imagining a technologically different 1992 audience panicking like fuck. It all got a bit silly by the end, but I was clenching my arsehole when they had the nightvision camera on the go. The glancing shot of Pipes in the bedroom was nice too.

I think the mum and the studio expert were the weakest links. Having said that it's still good fun.

Agreed, I thought the kids were pretty good, it was only really the mum that let it down.

I'd have fucking shit a brick and not slept for weeks if I'd have seen that as a 7-year-old back then.

Yep... I didnt sleep for 2 days after this..

• Paid Members

I watched Blood Creek yesterday, it was great, SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

about 2 cool brothers going after a Nazi Vampire Wizard

The preceeding spoiler was very minor by the way. I really liked it and I think Henry Cavill will be a huge star, he's like a cross between Tom Cruise and Ben Affleck on screen, I can't wait to see him as Superman. Anyone seen it?

• Paid Members
I watched Blood Creek yesterday, it was great, SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

about 2 cool brothers going after a Nazi Vampire Wizard

The preceeding spoiler was very minor by the way. I really liked it and I think Henry Cavill will be a huge star, he's like a cross between Tom Cruise and Ben Affleck on screen, I can't wait to see him as Superman. Anyone seen it?

No, but your brief summary sold me.

Watched Pontypool last night - loved the understated nature of it, loved the premise, but could have put up with it being about basically anything if it had Stephen McHattie in it. I always knew him as Elaine's boyfriend in a few Seinfelds ("have you been urinating a lot again?"), and my mum always points at the screen when he's on and says "It's that bloke from Centennial," but... shit... he's just incredible in Pontypool.