Sign in to follow this  
Devon Malcolm

The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

It's been terrible all series. If it wasn't for DRS then Joel Wilson wouldn't have a job. Easily the worst umpire I've seen since Steve Bucknor.

Joel Wilson even gets them wrong as 3rd umpire, that catch by Root in the last Test didn't look out. 

The thing about elite level umpiring is that it's a numbers game. The West Indies have far less umpires than England so it is easier to get on the ICC Panel if you are from the West Indies. It's the same for most countries apart from England and Australia really. 

If Joel Wilson had to get to the ICC Panel in England he wouldn't make the Minor Counties list let alone the ICC list. I'm not that sure he would even get on to my counties ECB Premier League panel. 

17 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Joel Wilson even gets them wrong as 3rd umpire, that catch by Root in the last Test didn't look out. 

The thing about elite level umpiring is that it's a numbers game. The West Indies have far less umpires than England so it is easier to get on the ICC Panel if you are from the West Indies. It's the same for most countries apart from England and Australia really. 

If Joel Wilson had to get to the ICC Panel in England he wouldn't make the Minor Counties list let alone the ICC list. I'm not that sure he would even get on to my counties ECB Premier League panel. 

I largely agree with this particularly Joel Wilson. I have to say though I really don't think the no call for Stokes LBW was a particularly bad call

1 hour ago, ElCece said:

I largely agree with this particularly Joel Wilson. I have to say though I really don't think the no call for Stokes LBW was a particularly bad call

The Stokes LBW is a tricky one. In real time on TV I thought it was out, but what i forgot is that the view you see on TV is not the umpires view. Looking at the DRS the ball definitely hits the front pad and on to the back pad. The DRS reads the flick off the front pad as turn, which is a technical problem for the DRS. They have re-analysed it and from the impact on the front pad it would have gone on to miss the stumps. So Joel got it right, though I do wonder if he saw it hit the front pad. 

1 hour ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

The Stokes LBW is a tricky one. In real time on TV I thought it was out, but what i forgot is that the view you see on TV is not the umpires view. Looking at the DRS the ball definitely hits the front pad and on to the back pad. The DRS reads the flick off the front pad as turn, which is a technical problem for the DRS. They have re-analysed it and from the impact on the front pad it would have gone on to miss the stumps. So Joel got it right, though I do wonder if he saw it hit the front pad. 

That's good to hear as I was a bit surprised to see how much DRS felt it turned as that was in keeping with what I thought. Still I doubt this reanaylse will get much play when it is looked back upon in future years 

4 hours ago, hallicks said:

Channel hopping after the highlights on Saturday, came across the Dad's Army cricket match episode, thought @Gus Mears might be interested... 

Surprisingly when considering the calibre and age of television I generally watch, I don't like Dad's Army.

I'd recommend anyone with a spare five minutes to look at the ongoing Twitter feud between Matt Prior and Shane Warne instigated by Prior having a dig at Lyon. The whole thing is gloriously childish. 

Good stuff from Warney there, complaining about people being mean on twitter whilst having a dig at someone for being a "club" cricketer... 

55 minutes ago, hallicks said:

Good stuff from Warney there, complaining about people being mean on twitter whilst having a dig at someone for being a "club" cricketer... 

Also the only dig I've seen from Prior was very mild. It's not often I agree with Prior but I think he is 100% in the right here. 

Particularly considering its Lyon and what he has come out with in the past. 

On 8/10/2019 at 10:50 AM, Gus Mears said:

The West Indies have called up my new favourite cricketer to the test squad. Rahkeem Cornwall, who is set to become the largest athlete in test cricket history, at 7 foot tall and over 500 pounds.

cornwall9.jpg

7b7aac7dc86b2d9741da945c41f23cd3.jpeg.jpg

Just to add to this amazing man's story - He's been awarded Championship player of the year by Cricket WI

6 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Where was this re-analysis?

So no Anderson for the remaining tests which is a shame. Craig Overton in the 13 but can't see him playing. I think they might leave Woakes out and play Curran. Apart from that I'd imagine it will be the same line up. 

I thought Lewis Gregory was in the squad initially, is he injured? Why didn't they pick Jamie Overton, he's been bowling well this season, hasn't he? Get him and Archer bombing the Aussies from both ends.

Rahkeem's debuting!

Edited by Devon Malcolm