The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

The squad for the first test has been announced.

No Harmison, which is good. He has been bowling well but then he always does - then he pulls on an England shirt and no-one has the slightest idea where the ball will end up. Panesar shouldn't be in there, he's in dreadful form, but hopefully they will go for one spinner.

I'm predicting another 2-1 to England with Stuart Broad as man of the series and Ponting to resign as captain at the end of it.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

I'm still unsure on the English Cricket Team, but having said that the Aussie's are not the team they once were.

Pleased about Harmison, everyone rave about Anderson but to me for at least 3 balls in an over he needs radar to find the stumps! Monty Panesar is also a joke now. he is crap with the bat, cannot field and only has one variation of swing the oposition have now found him out.

• Paid Members
I'm still unsure on the English Cricket Team, but having said that the Aussie's are not the team they once were.

Pleased about Harmison, everyone rave about Anderson but to me for at least 3 balls in an over he needs radar to find the stumps! Monty Panesar is also a joke now. he is crap with the bat, cannot field and only has one variation of swing the oposition have now found him out.

I think the reason Anderson has had such a good twelve months is because his control is far better now. He can swing the ball genuinely both ways at 90mph and he's now free of injury. I think he should have a huge part to play in the series.

Panesar should have shown signs of development and improvement by now, but he shows none. England should move on and use Rashid if they are looking at two spinners, plus the fact that Rashid is a genuine all-rounder and a good fielder.

Man, Ive been wanting to make a general cricket thread for ages now, but just didnt think thered be the interest. Anderson is our main man with the ball right now, he's developed that consistancy that he's been missing. Harmy bowled well in the warmup game and has done well for Durham this season, but I just dont think he's done enough to get in ahead of the likes of Sidebottom and Onions. We have 2 really promising younger guys in Broad and Bopara that I think will both make a big contribution in this series. I think Adil Rashid is a little unlucky to not to be in the 13 for wednesday, other than 3-10 he took the other day Monty has been in no form at all. Hopefully it'll give him some confidence and he'll produce the goods. I think our batting lineup pretty much picks itself, it'll be interesting to see if they go with Prior at 6 and Flintoff at 7 or the other way. While the aussies arent the team they were, they've still got enough class and quality. I rate Mitchell Johnson very highly but he's never done it over here so that will be interesting to see how he adapts. I'd probably put Prior 6. So yeah, really looked forward to it, should be much more even than the drubbing we got down under last time out.

I'm looking forward to the Ashes this time round, especially after what happened in Australia. I think Monty will find some form and hopefully he'll be fairly useful with the ball. Cardiff should give an English victory if we play two spinners, which I think we'll do. If Monty doesn't perform, then Rashid might get the call for Lords.

Edited by LariatTom

• Paid Members

Hopefully they will have prepared a turning wicket for the first test. The Aussie spinner Hauritz is rubbish and definately would not get in the England side, and its a bloody long time since we have been able to say that about an Aussie spinner.

The criticism of the England squad I would have is at wicket keeper. Foster showed during the T20 what a brilliant 'keeper he is, and while he may not score as many runs as Prior, the amount of runs he saves with his all round keeping more than makes up for his batting. This is particularly important if they play 2 spinners, anyone can stand back to keep but Prior tends to be a bit "Lego Hands" at times when stood up for the spinners.

• Paid Members

I think Prior's improved as a keeper and certainly warrants his place in the side. On keepers, anyone who saw Brad Haddin during the England Lions match and some of his performances against South Africa would know he's no Gilchrist with the gloves either, so teflon gloves could be a problem for both sides.

I actually doubt the Cardiff pitch will turn that much, I reckon they've probably tried to rectify that. Which would be stupid, obviously, as it's in England's best interests to have one that turns square as Hauritz is bobbins. I'd say that Swann will play as the lone spinner and that Onions will get a place. I might have gone with Sidebottom instead of Onions but they both are good selections.

Man, Ive been wanting to make a general cricket thread for ages now, but just didnt think thered be the interest. Anderson is our main man with the ball right now, he's developed that consistancy that he's been missing. Harmy bowled well in the warmup game and has done well for Durham this season, but I just dont think he's done enough to get in ahead of the likes of Sidebottom and Onions. We have 2 really promising younger guys in Broad and Bopara that I think will both make a big contribution in this series. I think Adil Rashid is a little unlucky to not to be in the 13 for wednesday, other than 3-10 he took the other day Monty has been in no form at all. Hopefully it'll give him some confidence and he'll produce the goods. I think our batting lineup pretty much picks itself, it'll be interesting to see if they go with Prior at 6 and Flintoff at 7 or the other way. While the aussies arent the team they were, they've still got enough class and quality. I rate Mitchell Johnson very highly but he's never done it over here so that will be interesting to see how he adapts. I'd probably put Prior 6. So yeah, really looked forward to it, should be much more even than the drubbing we got down under last time out.

Totally agree about Adil Rashid, it would have been great experience for him. Onions looks like he could be very useful addition to the side.

• Paid Members

Good article about Australia's current spin bowling problems.

You would have expected Australia to be producing lots of spin bowlers right now as I would have expected loads of kids to have been inspired by watching Shane Warne to be coming through the system now. Doesn't seem to be happening now.

In fact, Warne's effect seems to have been far more positive on English spin bowling - there are plenty of young English leggies coming through - Rashid, Munday, Lawson, Beer, Waller, Borthwick - and those are just off the top of my head.

It is somewhat suprising they have a real lack of spinners. I know what you mean about people inspired by Warney but hes a special talent and you dont get someone like him everyday. We do have a heathly selection of spin coming through like you say, I really do like the look of Adil Rashid when I've seen him for Yorkshire and England. Its nice to see a few options in the pace department too, I think the competition has only improved the likes of Anderson and Broad who are our first choice right now. Ahhh I can't wait! 47 hours to go!

Good article about Australia's current spin bowling problems.

You would have expected Australia to be producing lots of spin bowlers right now as I would have expected loads of kids to have been inspired by watching Shane Warne to be coming through the system now. Doesn't seem to be happening now.

In fact, Warne's effect seems to have been far more positive on English spin bowling - there are plenty of young English leggies coming through - Rashid, Munday, Lawson, Beer, Waller, Borthwick - and those are just off the top of my head.

Only Rashid will play test cricket out of those.

I think that we should win pretty comfortably, probably 3-1. The only slight problem in the first test will be Prior's keeping. As already mentioned, he's fine standing back, but if there are two spinners in the eleven, then he'll struggle stood up. Swann should have a field day against the Auzzie left handers.

Flintoff's batting is the only other worry, he shouldn't really be batting above Broad at the minute. No first class hundred since 2005 tells its own story.

• Paid Members
Only Rashid will play test cricket out of those.

I think that we should win pretty comfortably, probably 3-1. The only slight problem in the first test will be Prior's keeping. As already mentioned, he's fine standing back, but if there are two spinners in the eleven, then he'll struggle stood up. Swann should have a field day against the Auzzie left handers.

Flintoff's batting is the only other worry, he shouldn't really be batting above Broad at the minute. No first class hundred since 2005 tells its own story.

Possibly, but there are a batch of finger spinners coming through as well such as Rafiq, Liam Dawson, Wainwright and others. Our stocks are certainly a lot stronger than theirs.

I wouldn't have Broad at 7 yet. He will certainly be good enough in a couple of years' time but the reason perhaps that he's doing so well with the bat right now is that there is relatively little pressure on him at 8. Bump him to 7 and suddenly a lot of runs are expected of him. Batting at 7, Flintoff can concentrate on bowling more, which is his stronger suit.