The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I know Ireland are not exactly quality opposition, but the sheer ruthlessness Woakes and Broad showed to blow them away in the second innings was fantastic. 

You know it's bad when both Hussain and Atherton have Vince as their opener for the Ashes. Unsure who I'd go for like, but it certainly wouldn't be him. Burns won't play another test, his technique is all over the place. May as well lob Bairstow up the order with Ar Jase.

Agree with Cod Eye, Woakes and Broad did the business. It'll be bizarre when Woakes ends up missing out at Edgebaston - I imagine they'll pick Archer, then Woakes will come back in at Lords. There are five years in 6 weeks, so all four of our seamers will probably miss at least one test. 

In other news, is anyone playing locally this season? We started off well up here in God's County, but we've lost our last five and are in danger of relegation. I started off like a house on fire, but I've scored 45 runs in the month of July. Shite.

Have you umpired any good overseas players this season Lion? Apart from firing off Young Merv.

• Paid Members

A persistent knee injury is limiting my actual umpiring this year, I have done quite a bit of boundary assessing of some of the up and coming umpires instead. 

This year I have seen quite a lot if very average cricket. The standard of the Lincolnshire ECB Premier League this year is pretty average. Bracebridge Heath who have been the best team over the last few years have lost the person who puts in a lot of the money to the club to a messy divorce, so they are not as strong as usual. I don't know about your League Max, but around here to win you have to spend some serious money. 

My personal highlight of the summer so far was seeing another player I have umpired a bit get selected for the England U19 squad. Joey Evison who is at Notts has been selected. As for overseas players, none of them are really tearing up the leagues, Sleaford have Chamara Kapugedara who has played over 100 ODI's playing for them. He looks alright but for what they are paying him he should be destroying teams, and he isn't. 

I play in the league under the Yorkshire League South Premier and it's very much the same. Biggest spender generally wins the league. We've lost a number of players over the years who are chasing an extra couple of quid - you can't blame them, but it is a little frustrating whereas if our side stuck together over the last couple of years then we would have a chance at promotion.

The exception to the rule in our league is Appelby Frodingham, who are from your neck of the woods I believe. They've a couple of lads who play Lincs Minor Counties and they came down from the Premier League last season. They've kept all their players and will bounce straight back up. It's been good to see the attitude of lads who after a relegation have decided to stick together, rather than disburse to other clubs.

Right. I'm off to get a lovely twenty in the style of James Vince.

Edit: I play for a club called Wath. I know you're from round here Cod Eye, so you'll probably know of it.

Edited by Max Power

• Paid Members

App Frod are from the very North of Lincolnshire and chose to play in the South Yorks league because it's a better standard. Their 2nds play in the Lincolnshire League. I've not umpired their 1sts as we haven't enough umpires here to be doing out of county on a Saturday. App Frod are a good club though, the problem they have is that the sports association who own their ground is part of British Steel. If the steel works closes and the money for that dries up they may struggle. I know they had talks with another Lincolnshire League team last year about a possible merger but nothing came of it. 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Max Power said:

I play in the league under the Yorkshire League South Premier and it's very much the same. Biggest spender generally wins the league. We've lost a number of players over the years who are chasing an extra couple of quid - you can't blame them, but it is a little frustrating whereas if our side stuck together over the last couple of years then we would have a chance at promotion.

The exception to the rule in our league is Appelby Frodingham, who are from your neck of the woods I believe. They've a couple of lads who play Lincs Minor Counties and they came down from the Premier League last season. They've kept all their players and will bounce straight back up. It's been good to see the attitude of lads who after a relegation have decided to stick together, rather than disburse to other clubs.

Right. I'm off to get a lovely twenty in the style of James Vince.

Edit: I play for a club called Wath. I know you're from round here Cod Eye, so you'll probably know of it.

Yeah, I know Wath. They have had some decent teams over the years, and is a good little set up from what I've heard. I played for the Mon Bretton Bteam a fewtimes in my younger years, but had to give it up due to ill health. Really miss playing when we get to this time of the year.

Good to see a local lad make it to the Yorkshire T20 team in Jack Shutt. He was very well thought of in the Elsecar CC set up...

• Paid Members
22 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

If you are missing the World Cup then the European Cricket League is on Freesports. Janjua Brescia v Catalunya. This looks like average club sides. The Catalan opener is a big old unit. 

Thinking of dusting off my white tracky bottoms.

• Paid Members

Most club 2nd and 3rd teams have a loopy slow bowler who bowls that sort of cafeteria bowling. He is usually about 60 and still plays because he loves the game so much. Ours used to be a wiley old farmer called Pete Roe. Bowled right arm donkey drops around the wicket. He finally shuffled off to the great pavillion in the sky last year age 90+ I'd imagine he was gutted not to get a century.