The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

We let them off the hook today. 122-8 and because we picked Anderson who clearly wasn't fit we couldn't finish them off. To be fair though, the pair of pug faced goblins Smith and Siddle batted very well. It is usually bats a bit better on day 2, so we had best make the most of it. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Guy Bifkin said:

In his defence he did look dog shit. Even today it was his application as opposed to his technique that impressed. I'm not slating  the guy either

On a slight tangent, Stokes looked very good with the bat, carrying on his impressive form from the world cup he should probably be at 5

• Paid Members

I was more impressed by Burns' temperament than anything. He's the first opener we've tried since Strauss who doesn't look fazed by anything. Hopefully he'll make a run of scores now and we'll have one opening slot sorted.

• Moderators

Waugh is half right. 30 plays and misses. But he has the right temperament and that's spnething weve not had in our top 4 for a while. Being dogged is half the battle for me at opener.

Root battled properly today as well but again his inabiligu to convert is fucking dire. That's the real difference between him and Smith for me. Root gets out far too much in the 60s and 70s. If Smith hits 50 he's going to go on to a ton. 

Edited by PowerButchi

• Moderators

Watching The Verdict now (Or Cricket Debate due to sky sports terrible debate branding) and Robert Croft is on it. Not only is he a Welsh Tory but he's an even bigger idiot. I hope Bob God Dylan Willis knocked fuck of him after filming. 

Tomorrow should be ace though. If we get through the first 10 overs unscathed Stokes can do a number on them here. God knows why Buttler was put up the order though. I fancy YJB to do well tomorrow too if we can get through the first 10 overs unscathed. 

Unless they bowl him a straight one then he's fucked. 

Moeen's batting will be interesting. He's already said in the Guardian last week that his batting is currently shit but he always bowls well in England so to judge him on that. For me Leach is the better bowler and has scored more than 10 as of late.

And in other news Sky has pensioned David Gower off after this series so it's Ian Ward helming their coverage in future. Stupid decision. Smooth and while not as good as Benaud he's been the next best thing. And now it'll be Ian Ward or that nob Mark Nicholas more than likely. Cricket isn't football. The viewers arent adverse to the occasional grey hair on their  coverage. 

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

Root battled properly today as well but again his inabiligu to convert is fucking dire. That's the real difference between him and Smith for me. Root gets out far too much in the 60s and 70s. If Smith hits 50 he's going to go on to a ton. 

That's the difference between him and Kohli and Williamson too. He's behind those three because he doesn't convert enough and also because he'll almost always play a stupid shot to get out. You'll never see the other three throw their wicket away.

As regards Ward, I don't mind him but he sticks out like a sore thumb in a commentary box full of people who have had great careers. And where was Mikey Holding? I wish they'd asked Mel Jones on as the token woman too instead of Isa Guha. Again, she's alright but Jones was star of the World Cup along with Ian Smith.

• Paid Members

I don't mind Ward either but it does seem to really stand out compared to really accomplished former players, I am pleased they havent went for Nick Knight at the very least

I like Guha and Jones and think they should be both be on. I do seem to be the only person who thought Ian Smith came across as a right dildo through out that world cup. Would much prefer they used Simon Doull as there go to Kiwi from now on. I thought he was great 

• Moderators

Is there anyone in the 1st XI who could? Who's guaranteed their place?  A lot of people on foruna seem to be boosting Buttler as a future test captain but I don't see it. Ben Stokes possibly? Might be a calming influence on him like it was for Nasser Hussain. 

• Paid Members

I worry about all-rounders as captains, both Botham and Flintoff floundered as them. I reckon it would improve Buttler as a batsman as the responsibility might lead to more with the bat. But Root just didn't stick with a plan at all today against Smith. I know he's a great player but why not just dry up the runs? If they'd have kept the run rate about one run lower then Australia would have had to bat on tomorrow and give England a better chance of surviving. Just attacked way too much but admittedly he wasn't helped by being a bowler down, then he wouldn't have had to bowl Moeen Ali as much against Smith.

• Moderators

It's a lot like his crazy field settings last summer. It's as if he thinks thinking out of the box and catching people by surprise alone takes wickets when thinking out of the box actually needs a bit of clever thinking behind it to work, rather than Vince Russo-esque "They'll never see it coming!". If you're going to give some something a bit surprising with the new ball with a part timer you want a bit of medium pace that swings like Gooch or Mark Butcher or even Ian Bell had. Christ Tresco's Medium Swang (Swung?) for miles. Not finger spin. 

Edited by PowerButchi