What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Awards Moderator
9 hours ago, Astro Hollywood said:

The best thing on this year, by a country mile, is FX's Feud, about the rivalry between Joan Crawford and Betty Davis, by Ryan Murphy of American Horror Story. It was the Bret vs. Shawn of its day, with (and I don't want to spoil the specifics) their Survivor Series incident going down live at the fucking Oscars. Amazing stuff, and all of its themes super relevant today.

I've been told several times this week I should be watching this. Is it on FX over here yet?

• Moderators

Sons of Anarchy is every bit as hilariously bro-wish-fulfillment as I'd imagined. I just started watching on Netflix, and a few episodes in, a 13-year-old girl is raped by a circus clown, so the bikers beat up the clown to cool rock n roll before cutting off his balls. We're definitely supposed to think the bikers and everything they do is super cool and well hard. It's like some guy had a mid-life crisis, but instead of buying a motorbike, he made 92 hours of television about motorbikes instead.

• Moderators

I think this is going to be my new Walking Dead hatewatch-while-eating-or-working-out show, because two episodes after the rape-clown, there's a character whose gimmick is he can't stop wanking. Literally every scene he's in, he's casually having a tommy tank while chatting. I think the soundtrack's up so loud to drown out the sound of the writers high-fiving each other about how wild and outrageous it all is.

• Paid Members

I downloaded the first series about a year ago and some dick had labelled all the episodes wrong so they played in a completely random order. I obviously had no clue what was going on, but the fucking acting and script was simply enough for me to check out.

I feel I should comment on Black Sails, I slaughtered it on here after seeing season 1 and 2, stuck with it and have to say the final 2 series are VERY good.

That 13 Reasons Why has some terrible dialogue. "Call me hansome" still makes me cringe. It's all a bit Brick meets Dawson Creek meets suicide awareness  school assembly. Still had me till the end and it is pretty poignant in places.

• Paid Members

I watched S1 of Sons of Anarchy but didn't bother with more. It's just not gripping enough. It was OK but just OK.

I just finished S1 of Broadchurch though. I never watched it when it was on because I couldn't be arsed with the hype but I totally get it now. Oh my god, it's good. The acting is incredible, especially from Olivia Coleman, David Tennant and Jodie Whittaker. Even Will Mellor was good in it. I see why it won all the awards.

• Paid Members

Broadchurch is tremendous. I have a massive crush on Olivia Coleman!!

For what it's worth, I enjoyed Season 2. It was what it needed to be given it's just about the aftermath.

Line of Duty Season 4 has exceeded all my expectations after the absolute belter that was Season 3.