What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members

Fun series started on Channel 4 last night called Hunted. It's half reality gameshow, half documentary on the surveillance state. The idea is that 14 contestants act as fugitives and have to go on the run with one hour's notice and access to a bank account with £450 days. There's then a team of 30 security and intelligence experts trying to track them down within 28 days -- basically a non-lethal Running Man.

It's a bit vague about how "real" it is, but it appears it's set up as a simulation so the hunters have access to all the information they'd get if they were working for real with genuine fugitives such as access to the automatic number plate recognition system, some CCTV and details of cashpoint withdrawals.

There was a similar show a few years back called Wanted, but that was done in semi-real time with each week's episode recapping events that week. This has been completely pretaped (and thus edited to make for better stories.)

Great line in the preview from one of the contestants featured next week. "I need to not be noticed. But I'm Muslim, with a beard and I'll most likely have a rucksack... which may stand out."

• Paid Members

(Note the new thread on Hunted at: https://ukff.com/topic/136567-hunted/?view=getnewpost)

Main difference is that Wanted was live and had rewards for the public for finding the people. This is completely prerecorded.

Wanted was also more explicitly produced as a gameshow. This is pushed more as a social experiment, though the production is more like a docudrama.

Edited by JNLister

• Paid Members

Does anyone watch Nathan for you? It's a comedy reality show where an incredibly deadpan Canadian guy comes up with terrible marketing ideas for small companies and then implements them. Except my description made it sound shit and it's hilarious. I was put off watching it because I find business and marketing boring but my house mate stuck it on and I watched the whole first series in one sitting. It's really fast moving too and it never lingers on one idea too long. Nathan interacts with real people on a kind of Borat level but I've never seen someone doing that play it as straight as he does, he's got balls of steel and the real people are complete characters that make it unpredictable and funny.

The one with the caricaturist was my favourite, that guy was amazing.

Chest Rockwell have you seen this? I have a decent track record of recommending stuff to you.

• Paid Members

I fucking love Nathan For You. At times it's genuinely jaw dropping what he gets away with or what people go along with. Season 2 is even crazier than the first. It has me constantly in hysterics.

The episode with the cheap gas is my favourite. The premise is to help a gas station they advertise petrol really cheap but when the customers come in to pay they tell them that it's with a tax rebate. When the customers ask where they have to post the rebate so they can be refunded Nathan reveals the rebate box is at the top of a mountain. Naturally most people just get annoyed they've been tricked but others go along with it and Nathan hires a mini bus to take them hiking up the mountains to find the rebate box. The whole thing just gets more and more insane by the moment.

• Paid Members

Nathan hires a mini bus to take them hiking up the mountains to find the rebate box. The whole thing just gets more and more insane by the moment.

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read
When he said it was never going to end and there was no rebate box but the friendship that they found on the mountain was more important and they all agreed with him it killed me

I got into the show straight away but hated Nathan for the first episode, I completely get him now and he's brilliant. My housemate said season 2 was even more crazy, I can't wait to see it.

• Paid Members

Hmm.. You're right that you do have good form for recommendations, but this flies in the face of my 'no reality tv' rule... Dilemma! Is this a download job or is it on any of the major streaming services?

My mate definitely torrented it, no idea where it's available, I know it's not on Netflix.

I'm not keen on reality TV either, or business. watch this 5 minute segment from it to see if you like it, it was my favourite one.

I watched Hand of God's 10 episodes over the course of 2 days - really good story with great acting from Ron Perlman and everyone involved. I'm enjoying the trend for 1 season only shows. Nice to have a story wrapped up and finished without it being dragged on for season after season. Wayward Pines was especially enjoyable for that reason. 

IMDB - A morally-corrupt judge suffers a breakdown and believes God is compelling him onto a path of vigilante justice.