What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

Just want to thank Butch for his plugging of Check it Out! with Dr. Steve Brule, it's bloody amazing!

Watched most of the first two series and been keeping up with the new one, which has been a bit wackier but just as, if not funnier.

"What kind of Animal you wanna be Dingus?

"Probably a dog"

"Nope, that's not it, you'd be a dangutang, that's what you look like."

• Paid Members

Yeah also have to thank Butch for that too. Been catching as much as I can online over the last week or so. "Turn this thing off, I'm dry!" and "dingus" have became common phrases around the flat with a couple of us now.

• Paid Members

After months and months of procrastination I started Spartacus: Vengeance last night. I was dreading it because I don't know if I could take another actor as Spartacus seriously after the death of the first one. My verdict off the first episode isn't clear. I can see myself growing to like the new guy but he just doesn't match up the original at all as far as I can see. I enjoyed the episode but without the original Spartacus and the most loveable bastard ever Batiatus it definitely feels like it's lacking something. I'm hoping it picks up later.

Caught all of 37 Days on catch up recently. Tense build up to WWI from a politicians and Foriegn Office build up towards war. Impeccably acted, especially Mark Lewis Jones as Lloyd George ( seriously is there anything he isnt great in? Such was the Chemistry and bravado and scene stealing in his episodes of Silent Witness as an investigatin gcop, Im surprised he didnt earn a spin off as his cop was class!) and The Emperor, er Ian McDiarmid as Lord Grey. Well worth seeking out if you like that kinda thing.

• Awards Moderator

I watched 37 Days last weekend, and it was really good. Very dialogue heavy but all the more compelling for it. I only knew the basics of what happened in the month leading to the declaration of war, so it was fascinating from that regard too. Mad to see how quickly everything escalated. Ian McDiarmid was excellent too. It's off iPlayer now but it's well worth seeking out.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

started on the From Dusk Till Dawn series. Looks like it's gonna be quite good, basically gonna play out like a prolonged version of the 1st movie, the core characters are the same, similar set up etc. Initially its takes time to get around the fact that the actors are doing impressions of the movie characters but i got passed that (the guy doing Seth Gecko is quality). I get the sense that once the super natural element fully comes in it's gonna turn a little naff but it hasn't really happened yet.

After months and months of procrastination I started Spartacus: Vengeance last night. I was dreading it because I don't know if I could take another actor as Spartacus seriously after the death of the first one. My verdict off the first episode isn't clear. I can see myself growing to like the new guy but he just doesn't match up the original at all as far as I can see. I enjoyed the episode but without the original Spartacus and the most loveable bastard ever Batiatus it definitely feels like it's lacking something. I'm hoping it picks up later.

He turns out to be fantastic, I think. Out of all the love its gotten on this forum, I dont think Ive read a single person saying that he doesnt match up to the original. In fact, Id say he turns out to be even better, to the point where I cant even really picture the original actor at all when I think of Spartacus. Season 1 is one of the greatest seasons of TV Ive ever watched, so it was inevitable that S2+3 wouldnt reach those heights. Still amazing, mind.

Edited by Dai

• Moderators

He turns out to be fantastic, I think. Out of all the love its gotten on this forum, I dont think Ive read a single person saying that he doesnt match up to the original. In fact, Id say he turns out to be even better, to the point where I cant even really picture the original actor at all when I think of Spartacus. Season 1 is one of the greatest seasons of TV Ive ever watch, so it was inevitable that S2+3 wont reach those heights. Still amazing, mind.

Spartacus seems different at the start of S2 because he is different, as a character. He's been a slave, and now he's trying to find his voice as a leader of men.

I watched 37 Days last weekend, and it was really good. Very dialogue heavy but all the more compelling for it. I only knew the basics of what happened in the month leading to the declaration of war, so it was fascinating from that regard too. Mad to see how quickly everything escalated. Ian McDiarmid was excellent too. It's off iPlayer now but it's well worth seeking out.

I thought it was awful. It was packed with decent actors and seemed to have a decent script, but someone had made a decision to dump a modern-sounding Scottish voiceover across the whole thing, explaining every intricate detail and ruining any suspense or interest, as well as completely ruining the period feel. It was an unnecessary and patronising addition and after about half an hour I realised I couldn't take 3 hours of him, so deleted it and watched Rolling Thunder instead.

• Paid Members
I've also started The Wire, currently four episodes into the first season.

Good man

Any one recommend American Horror Story? It's on Netflix so might give it a bash

I have seen, and enjoyed, Seasons 1 and 2. Season 2 is significantly better than Season 1, though.

Season 1 is actually mental. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but it's decent.