What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members

Because I found it cripplingly funny, to the point where I've never found anything quite that funny again. It seemed to only pop up two-three times during the run of That Danny Baker show, I think it probably a bit much for that time slot.

Edited by Sergio Mendacious

Hi does Terriers end on an annoying cliffhanger with it only being 1 season or did they kind of wrap things up since they knew it was going to be cancelled? I made that mistake with Huff, which was really good but only ran for one season and it left loads of stuff unanswered so kinda wish I hadn't bothered.

Kinda both.

The overall storyline to the season (the mystery) is resolved. It does end on a note of uncertainty regarding a character's future (although the writers pointed out there really is no uncertainty if you know the character) but I don't think it really detracts from the overall experience. There are some interviews out there where they talk about the plans for a second season that also wrap up a lingering thread..

I'd say watch it, the 'cliffhanger' is no different from a film with a slightly ambiguous ending..

• Paid Members

So, a little late to the party on this, but my Wife insisted we warch it as a oner over a couple of days rather than week by week.

West World. Holy fucking Jesus Christ, simply fucking brilliant. Absolutely adored it start to finish.

• Moderators

Catching up on the last couple sessions of Parks and Rec as I never got around to watching them. Seems to be a noticeable drop in quality. Characters have done that thing that happens in long running sitcoms where they become one dimensional caricatures of themselves, and the writers are clearly running out of ideas both for overall plot and character progression.

• Paid Members

There's some gag with Jerry in early series 6 where the joke is that he's creepy talking about breastfeeding, or something like that. It was way out of character for Jerry, who up until then was a well crafted, nice guy who the others resented for no good reason. They ruined it by actually having him do something weird.  At this point one of the head writers was dealing with a heroin habit that would eventually kill him though, so you can see why standards might have slipped. 

• Paid Members

Catching up on the last couple sessions of Parks and Rec as I never got around to watching them. Seems to be a noticeable drop in quality. Characters have done that thing that happens in long running sitcoms where they become one dimensional caricatures of themselves, and the writers are clearly running out of ideas both for overall plot and character progression.

I did warn you

• Paid Members

Modern Family is cracking for several seasons, although it's very played out now, partly because the kids are not much cop as older actors.

Parks and Rec started out weakly, but was class for a couple of seasons. Really, should have ended with the big festival, that was a great conclusion. Haven't actually finished it, have a few episodes left and can't be arsed. Agree on Craig, Billy Eichner is hilarious but I've never liked him in an acted show.

• Paid Members

Cheers johnnyboy, I'll check it out. I watched the first series this week so I'll also get through the second and third soon.

Edit: Grinder is actually a pretty decent MC by garage standards. Takes me back to the late 90s at The Oasthouse and shitty Millenniums

Edited by PunkStep