UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

I'm doing the Manias in chronological order and really only 2 and 4 have felt like utter chores so far. What I've liked about watching through them is seeing gaps filled in from where they were edited for VHS release and music restorations, couple of examples being 'American Dream' being restored for Dusty and Sapphire's entrance at Wrestlemania 6 instead of the Wheel of Fortune theme being dubbed in as well as Piledriver being used for Koko B Ware's entrances at the earlier shows before he changed to Bird Man with examples of extra stuff put back in including Hacksaw's entrance at WM7 to do commentary on the opener, the bit by Gorilla on what's still to come either just before or just after the Warrior/Savage match and Power and Glory getting a proper introduction before their match with the Road Warriors (on the edited version it goes straight to the Roadie's entrance after Hawk's 'Oh What A Rush' in the backstage interview)

Unfortunately I've just come to the piss poor WM9, started by the admittedly decent IC title match between HBK and Tatanka

• Awards Moderator

Being an old school fan I still really like II and IV.

The run of XI - 13 is the crappy bit to me, with only the towering majesty of Bret v Austin saving anything from those three years.

If you want a 'Phantom Edit', I'd do:

III, VI, VII, VII, X, X-Seven, XX, 24, 25, XXX

• Awards Moderator

No love for 19 Onyx?

Fucking garbage.

I wouldn't go quite that far but the marquee matches end in nothing. Hulk v Vince is only worth it for that image of Vince, Austin v Rock is historically interesting but not much to write home about - Austin is clearly feeling the pressure of his final match, and Lesnar v Angle is only remembered for the botch. And it caps off the show meaning that dazed reaction of Lesnar sours the ending.

• Paid Members

No love for 19 Onyx?

Fucking garbage.

I wouldn't go quite that far but the marquee matches end in nothing. Hulk v Vince is only worth it for that image of Vince, Austin v Rock is historically interesting but not much to write home about - Austin is clearly feeling the pressure of his final match, and Lesnar v Angle is only remembered for the botch. And it caps off the show meaning that dazed reaction of Lesnar sours the ending.

Trips and Booker is a bag of shite, Taker's in an abysmal scenario, the last two matches are a massive disappointment. The undercard is underwhelming too. Only Jericho vs. HBK is any good and it's not that good.

For the roster they had, it's awful

Agree on the Taker and Booker stuff but I'm fond of the show. Michaels and Jericho is one of my fav Mania matches personally, and the top 3 matches were all good if not classics. If it wasn't for 17 it'd have been the best Mania in yonks

I'd put 21 up there, Onyx. Fun video packages with the cinematic references, Eddie and Rey was a fun enough little opener, the first MITB was novel at the time and was great, Takers streak starts to become a bigger deal here in a cracking match with Orton - they had my young mind fooled and I thought the legend killer might do it, Angle and Michaels tear the house down and then you've got the 'official' makings of Cena and Batista, even if the matches werent amazing and Cena/JBL at Judgment Day and Batista/HHH at Vengeance in the coming months blew them out of the water

Not sure what 25 is doing on your list, obvious match aside.

Not checked 91 or 93, but every match they had in 92 that's recorded had a winner, and the longest recorded match length was 35 minutes.  If Bret says they wrestled for an hour then 35 minutes is believable.  I think he said the Summerslam match with Bulldog was 45 minutes when it was only 25.

• Paid Members

I can only find this one:

WWF @ Boston, MA - Boston Garden - January 9, 1993 (matinee) (5,800)

Crush defeated Skinner via submission at 8:50 with the head vice

Terry Taylor pinned Jason Knight (sub. for Lance Cassidy) at 9:20 with a sit-down powerbomb

WWF Tag Team Champions Ted Dibiase & IRS defeated the Nasty Boys at 14:26 when IRS pinned Saggs after Dibiase used the steel briefcase as a weapon behind the referee's back; the challengers originally won the match and the titles at 10:00 when Knobbs pinned Dibiase after a collision between Dibiase and Saggs, however the match was forced to continue since Knobbs was the illegal man

The Undertaker pinned Papa Shango with the chokeslam at around the 6-minute mark

Bam Bam Bigelow pinned Typhoon at around the 7-minute mark with the diving headbutt following a clothesline out of the corner

WWF World Champion Bret Hart defeated Ric Flair (w/ Bobby Heenan) in a 60-minute Ironman match, 3 falls to 2; fall #1 - Hart pinned Flair with a waist lock into a roll up at 27:17; fall #2 - Flair defeated Hart via submission with the figure-4 and by holding onto the top rope for leverage at 35:00 (during the fall, the referee ordered Heenan backstage); fall #3 - Flair defeated Hart via submission with the figure-4 and by holding onto the bottom rope for leverage at 37:40; fall #4 - Hart defeated Flair via submission with the Sharpshooter at 55:03; fall #5 - Hart pinned Flair by reversing a figure-4 attempt into an inside cradle at 59:42 as Flair attempted the figure-4; at the beginning of the fall, Heenan returned to the ring to hand Flair a pair of brass knuckles - which ended up being used on the champion - before once again being ejected from ringside

• Paid Members

Yep, I'm sure that's the only one they did.

The Rockers and Rougeaus did a string of Iron Man matches (called Marathon matches) which were billed as 60 minutes, though I believe they shaved time.

Back in the pre-Hogan era they didn't do 60 minute draws that often, partly because they didn't have the NWA deal of wanting to protect the local guy against the visiting champion, and partly because at MSG at least they'd use the legit 11pm curfew as a time limit instead.

Having a quick look through MSG results, Backlund and Muraco did a 60 minute in 1981 and there were a couple in the 70s (including Fuji/Tanaka vs Sonny King.Jay Strongbow, which I seriously hope is a listing error.) There was also a curfew draw with Sammartino and Morales at the first Shea Stadium that was billed as 75 minutes and really about 65.

I know this was probably before the days of smarks holding stopwatches, but surely when they announced a 60-minute ironman match was about to start people would have naturally glanced at the time so they'd know how long was left? Why shave off ten minutes when so much of the crowd was likely to notice?