UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

• Paid Members

I've always been certain the fall through the cell was planned. That was Foley's deal for years. He always took ridiculous bumps. I took a back first drop off the entrance ramp against the Nasty Boys which was dumb as shit a few years earlier. He was crazy. That was back when WWF's attention to detail was so vast, nothing got past them. Look at the cell (the same cell mind you) for the Undertaker vs Shawn match. It was like they were wrestling on the ground up there. Where as the middle of the KOTR cell was held together with these plastic hooks. If that spot wasnt planned they'd have to have been mental to think Foley wouldnt fall straight through it with his weight. Especially when they were stepping on it and almost falling through it.

Not forgetting the chokeslam they did. Foley just lifts a leg and bumps through it. If he wasnt meant to go through it, he'd have surely done a proper chokeslam and he'd have took a regular bump. The doctor, all the referees and Terry Funk wouldnt have been there either I imagine. One way or another that cunt was going through that cell. The idea of Foley in 1998 just walked straight back down and coming through the door is unthinkable.

I always heard/assumed that while Foley pretended it was an accident, the fall was planned and the accident was the angle he went down at and the fact that the chair landed on his face.

The first bump off the cell, through the announce desk was entirely planned. He knew it was coming & took the bump as well as he could've, but dislocated his shoulder & sustained kidney damage in the process. He hurt himself again climbing back up the cell, temporarily losing the feeling in his fingers. The chokeslam was planned, but the cell wasn't supposed to give. You only need to watch the damn thing. He could hardly have taken that fall any worse. He was knocked out, dislocated his jaw, lost 1½ teeth and the infamous hole under in his lip appeared (that he poked his tongue through) and of course, he had part of his tooth sticking out of his nose.

cb73b2516374813.jpg

Afterwards, he had to ask Undertaker whether he'd used the thumbtacks or not. Just the 6,000 as it happens.

Te guy even managed a run-in during the main event. What a loon.

Edited by KingofSports

The same cage they'd been walking around and fighting on. Strange it would decide to give at that point, no? And why would he take the bump so horribly (not really shown in your gif) and do that much damage? There's some velocity behind that chokeslam as well. Taker thought he was dead. I thought he was dead. No intention of continuing the debate. The notion that just about everything's a work just doesn't cut it on that occasion. In the final analysis he got properly fucked up - fact. If you wanna believe it was all planned, fine, I disagree, but does it actually matter?

• Paid Members

The idea of Undertaker and Foley just climbing down and going back in through the door following a bump like that amuses me greatly, I must say.

Lister's probably right. People have done Scaffold bumps from that distance before. I imagine he thought he'd be able to control the bump better than he did.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Moderators

giphy_zpsvu30bejb.gif

The more I watch it the more I'm convinced it was planned to go through, and it's just turned into legend that it wasn't. Like Ian said it doesn't look like a proper chokeslam. It's one of those choke throws they do from the apron to ringside/through a table. 

I'm of the opinion it was planned, but after that bump off the top, that's probably as high as he was getting for a chokeslam anyway.

• Awards Moderator

I think he was supposed to go through, hence Taker putting his foot through the cell earlier, and the lame choke-push. It's the chair. That's the random factor that screwed it up. The extra damage from the chair falling on his face really did him in.

Everything points to it being deliberate imo. The set up; the look of the 'slam'; the camera widening; the skirting around that panel prior to the spot; the fact that they went back up a second time and that it was built as a big spot when it wasn't (relative to what had just gone before it). If the planned finish was in the ring, how was Foley supposed to get back down?

In addition, if it was supposed to hold, where was the lawsuit? In that country, with that negligence and with the obvious injury, it would have been inevitable. As would Foley being more than a bit angry at the fuck-up.

Edited by Reznor

• Paid Members

You know what the worst bump I ever seen was? New Jack look a brain buster from 3 Minute Warning's Rosey on the gravel during a skit in ECW in 1996. They did an angle like a mugging, where the Gangstas were in the hood, and the Samoans turned up and gave them a beating. Imagine if something went wrong with that? Christ. Especially with the Samoans track record. I suppose its one of those moves where if the person does it right, its fine, but it makes me wince when I see it.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

I'm certain it was planned. The choke-push looks like Taker is deliberately throwing Foley on to the gimmicked panel, and has taken care to make sure he isn't standing on it himself.

Taker doesn't seem to react with any surprise either. And if I remember correctly even drops down and tombstones the cunt afterwards. If it wasn't planned I'm sure they'd just rule the match a no contest on the spot after such a huge fuck up, for fear of litigation if nothing else.