UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

I was watching a Macho Man v Bad News Brown match from MSG in late '88 earlier - good match it was too - and got a bit of a surprise to see Savage busting out a suicide dive. From what I could see, it looked a real man sized one at that too - none of your half arsed shite like that thing Dean Ambrose does every match.

Unfortunately the camera didn't catch it all, but you saw enough to know what it was. As someone who has a particular liking for seeing that kind of rare, once-in-a-blue-moon type of thing in matches (so long as it fits the character / circumstances etc.), I found it pretty cool. 

Has anyone saw him do this in another match? I'd like to see a decent visual of it. If he did, I'd guess it would've been from that same period - 87-88 as babyface in between heel runs.

Edited by Reznor

• Paid Members

Politics I'd say.

Back then everybody wanted their own guy to be Champion, or at least their mate's guy. Lawler wasn't legitimately tough, and didn't travel outside of Memphis all that much. Both of which would've given board members ammunition to say "Nah. He isn't The Guy". He and Jarrett were also guilty of doing shit to get him over, like editing footage of matches to make it look like he'd won by pinfall rather than DQ. Harley Race, in particular, hated him for it and I can't imagine he was the only one in the Alliance to do so.

Apparently he was supposed to get a short run after Flair jumped to the WWF in 1991. The idea was that he'd win the NWA World Title and then face WCW World Champion Luger in a Unification match. There's various stories going about as to why it didn't happen, from Paul Heyman and/or Eddie Gilbert leaking the plan to the dirtsheets to him simply not wanting to do a high profile job to Luger on a PPV.

How on earth did The Undertaker end up wrestling Jeff Jarrett at In Your House in Dec 1997?  From what I remember, Kane debuted at In Your House in October and cost Undertaker Hell In A Cell, leading to 'Taker disappearing for a while.  How did we get from there to the Jarrett match?

• Paid Members

How on earth did The Undertaker end up wrestling Jeff Jarrett at In Your House in Dec 1997?  From what I remember, Kane debuted at In Your House in October and cost Undertaker Hell In A Cell, leading to 'Taker disappearing for a while.  How did we get from there to the Jarrett match?

In Jarrett's debut on Raw, he talked himself up as one of the world's best and a future WWF Champion. He demanded a proper big time match for the PPV, so they gave him Undertaker. He had a new outfit, new music and he was being thrown in there with The Undertaker... you could almost believe that he actually WAS a big deal. Unfortunately when the bell rang, he still carried himself like the same Double J, the midcard heel that he'd been when he left, and the match ending in a shitty non-finish really wasn't what he needed.

• Moderators

Was that prior to them doing the NWA/traditionalists angle or had that started by that time? I seem to recall Jarrett and Bradshaw having a match for the NWA Title on a PPV that no-one gave a toss about

I did, I fucking loved Blackjack Bradshaw, so I gave a shite. And so did the crowd at the PPV, as it was in Texas, at No Way Out ("Of Texas" as they kept saying on commentary). And yeah that was a couple of months after the DX PPV which had Double J vs Undertaker.

• Paid Members

Was that prior to them doing the NWA/traditionalists angle or had that started by that time? I seem to recall Jarrett and Bradshaw having a match for the NWA Title on a PPV that no-one gave a toss about

I feel compelled to point out it was for merely the NWA North American title, not THE NWA title, which would show up later in the year over the shoulder of Dan Severn. Which as a super smark by that point, I found surreal as fuck. Possibly the most surreal thing I would see until I saw that the WWF's Taz(z) had beaten WCW's Mike Awesome for the ECW title.

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members

Ok, someone tell me if I'm losing my marbles here ???

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2TEGih8MS4c

This is an episode of wrestling challenge from 88 I think it is , at the 25 min mark there is a Blue Blazer squash which appears to have been "speeded up" .

Can anybody verify that I'm not imaging this ?

Doesn't look sped up to me, buddy.