UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

• Paid Members

Ok fair enough I'll rephrase the question was there a reason why punk stopped using the Anaconda Vice for years after initially getting it over in ECW?

Suppose it might depend how many other guys had some kind of submission move as a finisher. I can't think of who was around at the time, but off the top of my head you had Angle with the Anklelock, Voldermort had the crippler-crossface, Cena with the STF, Flair was still kicking about at that time too and I think crowds like to count along to three counts rather than have the suspenseful "will he tap?" moment so you need a fair amount of guys with different impact finishers. That could be nonsense but that's how I look at it anyways

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

Plus, when Punk was moved onto Raw he invariably was mixing with guys above him on the food chain, especially during his "too much too soon" first title reign, so they wouldn't have wanted guys looking too weak by submitting to him.They did a great job with its reintroduction in shafting Undertaker at Breaking Point though. Which I missed live. because as soon as Undertaker "won" I switched off in a huff and missed the re-start.

• Paid Members

I assumed it was Benoit related. Weren't all sleepers/choke moves banned for bit?

Punk switched to the Go 2 Sleep a good bit before Benoit.

According to this video John Lauranitis told him he needed an impact finisher that he could set up beforehand.

Edit. The video didn't link to the right part for some reason. It's at 37 minutes in if it isn't sorted now.

Edited by unfitfinlay

• Awards Moderator

I assumed it was Benoit related. Weren't all sleepers/choke moves banned for bit?

I remember being shocked when HBK pulled a crossface out in the WWE Title match at Survivor Series 2007 againsy Orton, a few months after the incident.

HBK did an interview about this. He talked with Triple H and decided it was time to reclaim the move and he was the guy to do it.