General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

• Paid Members

What he needs is a proper good action vehicle. He's got great comic timing but he's also done the odd one or two different roles, such as The Wall, so he has versatility on his side as well.

• 1 month later...

The excellent FiveThirtyEight is a data and statistics based news site.  They posted this cracking article about the 5 types of Nicolas Cage movies.  @Bellenda Carlisle @Astro Hollywood and @Devon Malcolm might like this.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-five-types-of-nicolas-cage-movies/

I think it's a great point about how top grossing actors are often defined by a character or a franchise, but Cage is defined by being Cage. Loved the stat about actors and sequels as well.

Edited by Keith Houchen
Not the bees, not the bees aaaahhh

25 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

That's a fun article, with some cool stats. Crazy what a huge proportion of vin diesel's films have been sequels..

Innit!  Is it 8 Fast and Furious films? Then you've got GOTG and the Pitch Black ones.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Innit!  Is it 8 Fast and Furious films? Then you've got GOTG and the Pitch Black ones.

You could throw in xXx as well as there's sure to be another one of those.

• Paid Members

The last one was surprisingly enjoyable too. I'd rank it alonside Mechanic: Resurrection as recent action films that looked as though they had no chance of being good but were actually very decent indeed.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

The excellent FiveThirtyEight is a data and statistics based news site.  They posted this cracking article about the 5 types of Nicolas Cage movies.  @Bellenda Carlisle @Astro Hollywood and @Devon Malcolm might like this.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-five-types-of-nicolas-cage-movies/

Thanks Keith, that was great. The guy knows how to talk about Nic Cage, some really great films in some of the categories with worse stuff but really well written and thought out for the most part. 

I'd love to see Nic Cage now channeling Castor Troy as the villain in a Fast and Furious film, I think he'd be perfect.

2 hours ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

some really great films in some of the categories with worse stuff but really well written and thought out for the most part. 

Well, the criteria was box office against rating on Rotten Tomatoes but yeah, certainly made me rethink some of his performances.  Glad you enjoyed it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

http://www.darkhorizons.com/rambo-5-is-rambo-vs-mexican-cartels/

Rambo 5 is gonna be Rambo going against Mexican Cartels, sounds awesome. I love Rambo but in 2018 I can't really be arsed to see him fight whatever foreign army conservative America doesn't like at the moment, so seeing him go up against some non military proper baddies sounds perfect to me.

Based on that one trailer, I'm not convinced. I fucking love the original but I'm also a fan of the first AVP and Predators but something about that trailer doesn't look right. Like, it's too clean and shiny. I like my Predator films to be dirty and gritty and unpolished.