The 'Currently Reading' Thread.

Guest Refuse Matt M

• Paid Members
Whats the opinion on here about Kindles? People prefer it or still prefer a book?

Not got a Kindle, but my E-reader's fine - but I don't prefer it to a book. There's no real difference for me, if I'm honest; as long as I can read without straining my eyes it's all good.

Currently reading http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0857381...NA62QJHJP0DTGKG

Bought it yesterday and am already half way through it!

Would highly recommend: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Conquest-Stewart-B...6608&sr=1-1 This one too.

I am currently going through all Michael Connelly books. Currently on Chasing The Dime which i think is 1 of his best. Got to love Harry Bosch though.

I've had a kindle a few months now and it's well worth the buy. Mainly use it for the papers, but let go of all your apprehensions and just get one to try yourself. Some will love it, others will hate it. You really have to experience it for yourself though.

Anti-kindle/pro-book sentiment is intolerable. It's just the same silly reaction to anything new that always happens. Kindles are 'soulless' compared to books and other such tripe has many antecedents, like MP3's are soulless compared to CD's in the 00s, CD's are soulless compared to vinyl records in the 90s, vinyl records are soulless compared to live performances in the 20s.

Reactionary Daily Express bollocks.

Anyway, finished the Great Gatsby the other night. Thought it was great, hadn't read any Fitzgerald before. Despite its status as a modern classic I seldom hear people who've actually read it say they liked it. Maybe its widespread use in english literature classes hardens people against it. Spotted 'The Pocket Essential F.Scott Fitzgerald' in a box with 'extremely cheap' written on it in felt-tip in the corner of a book sale at my university the other day, got it for 50p. It seems to be an extended essay on the way that Fitzgerald's fiction mirrored his life. I'll make a start on it some time this week.

Edited by Pinc

• Paid Members

Kindles are great especially if you travel a lot and/or read big books.

Both myself and Mrs SiMania have them and not a day goes by that I don't read at least something on the kindle - I didn't do that when I read only paper books so it encourages reading which can't be a bad thing. Aesthetically it's pleasing and reading on it is not a problem. The ability to change the text size is great if you have sight problems. I'd highly recommend it.

• Paid Members
Anti-kindle/pro-book sentiment is intolerable.

I read in the bath, so books are far better for me, cheaper to replace if I drop one in the bath. Can you tolerate that one? :p

Im reading all sorts of stuff for my final essay on my current course, Ovid, Homer, Shakespear and Hesiod. Fun.

Anti-kindle/pro-book sentiment is intolerable. It's just the same silly reaction to anything new that always happens. Kindles are 'soulless' compared to books and other such tripe has many antecedents, like MP3's are soulless compared to CD's in the 00s, CD's are soulless compared to vinyl records in the 90s, vinyl records are soulless compared to live performances in the 20s.

Reactionary Daily Express bollocks.

Not really. Someone being a cock online and saying "anyone who likes certain things and not others is intolerable" is intolerable. Books have far more history than vinals or CD's. People who can't understand why people are so personally attatched to books are mostly just being ignorant and trying to seem cool. That and I think you'll find books will survive this technological advance better than vinyl or CD's ever did.

But its nothing really to do with soul. Books have history, a hell of a lot of it actually. They're something that people can hold which have been around since before our lives became as dependent on the electronically charged technology of today, they're people's gateways to the past and they're a comforter because of that. The same way camping's apparently become more popular in later years. People want that link to the past more and more. That's why books will be able to survive the kindle and whatever else. They won't be as big as they once were, but they won't be as knocked back as records or CDs.

But what really gets me are people that argue its Kindle vs Books. And even worse are those that deplore anyone that has such an understandable affinity towards the other. Personally I've briefly entertained the notion of getting a Kindle, and I've certainly nothing against them or those who use them. It all comes down to personal preference. But if you really can't understand why people are so attatched to books and you think they're comparable to CDs of all things you either need to be more open to history or at least wiki books and become less socially inept. Acting all cool because you like the new hip thing and all these people who like books are just so old hat and certainly claiming that anyone who has sympathies for books are just being reactionary Daily Express readers just makes you look stupid.

That and there's something else with books you're unlikely to ever get with a Kindle. And its another reason why some people prefer them. Its what World Book Night (which I was at) sadly didn't quite get, they should have let people swap they're own personal second hand books but still, at least they tried. Its not all a mythical 'soul', its about human attatchment. A book can be kept for ever. I have one of the first copies of the Maltese Falcon to come out in England, god knows how many times its been read but it has. People can share books. My mother's given me books she read as a child, books that were second hand when he got them and were purchased by her mother. The same books that I'll read to my kids and share with them. People can buy second hand books. There's a history and an attatchment there with people you've never met. They might have even been from decades prior. Maybe people are over sentimental to books but that's not a bad thing. That's not deplorable. Meh, this is a bit of a long and sentimental reply, and like I say I'm not anti-Kindle in the slightest, but you're comment was quite frankly intolerable.

As for me, yeah, I'll probably end up buying a Kindle one day. There are advantages to it. But I doubt I'll ever stop owning books or borrowing books or even buying books. I'm not picking sides in some imaginary war.

Edit: That and, like the poster above me mentioned and I actually forgot in the end, there are also benefits to reading books.

Edited by Vamp

• Awards Moderator

I much prefer books, but I've found a happy medium with my Kindle - I use it for books I either (i) don't mind not having on my shelf, (ii) don't have space for on my shelf, or (iii) are really cheap.

For example, the other week I bought On Stranger Tides by Tim Powers (the new Pirates film is based on it). Book:

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Moderators

Much as I love the feel and smell of books, I like the idea of the Kindle too. Seems like it's the natural way to go, although books as a physical medium will take a lot longer to die out than, say, DVDs or CDs.

Plus, both of mine will be available on there sometime in the next couple of weeks, so BOOYA!

• Paid Members

Just read my first "Inspector Banks Novel" by Peter Robinson. (Hand me down from my mother in law, beat that Kindle!)

I thought it was really good. He writes a very vivid story and his characters are particularly strong. Even minor characters leap from the page. Very enjoyable read. I don't read a whole lot of fiction but I'll definitely read more of this.

Currently reading Clough's War, a book by Don Shaw about Clough's time at Derby and the bid to have him reinstated after his resignation. It's pretty good but constantly jumps between the tale of Clough turning around Derby and the campaign, in the way that The Damned united jumps between Clough's story at Leeds and his story at Derby. I think it would work better if it was chronological, it seems a bit needless to go back and forth.

The reason I prefer books to Kindle is that in todays world, we spend hours staring at screens, and a book is a nice escape from that. Most people have work that involves computers at least somewhat, and also spend a lot of time with their laptop/PC/TV etc. As much as I love browsing the internet and watching DVDs, it takes its toll, and if I had to stare at a screen to read books as well then it would become intolerable.

although books as a physical medium will take a lot longer to die out than, say, DVDs or CDs.

I hate this idea that DVDs and CDs have somehow 'died out' as formats; they both sell millions every year. CD sales are dropping (new sales), but that doesn't take into account second hand sales on places like Amazon, I know Zoverstocks alone process hundreds of thousands of orders every year. DVDs are also still selling very healthily, despite the onset of downloading. Sales might be down on peak numbers, but that doesn't mean they are dying out.