A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole

King Dork by Frank Portman

The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler

On The Road by Jack Kerouac

The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With The Sea by Yukio Mishima

Rare Creature by Kelley Seda

Who Goes There? by John W. Campbell

The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick

This Day in Football: A Day-by-Day Record of the Events that Shaped the Game by T.J. Troup

Eight Men Out: The Black Sox and the 1919 World Series by Eliot Asinof

Ubik by Philip K. Dick

The Bronx is Burning: 1977, Baseball, Politics and the Battle for the Soul of a City by Jonathan Mahler

Blockade Billy by Stephen King

A Scanner Darkly by Philip K. Dick

Last Team Standing: How the Steelers and the Eagles saved Pro Football During WWII by Matthew Algeo

The Thing on the Doorstep and Other Weird Stories by H.P. Lovecraft

Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos by H.P. Lovecraft and Others

Baseball: A History of America's Game by Benjamin G. Rader

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick

Farewell, My Lovely by Raymond Chandler

McKay's Men: 1979 Tampa Bay Buccaneers The Story of Worst to First by Denis Crawford

Pontypool Changes Everthing by Tony Burgess

God Bless You Mr. Rosewater by Kurt Vonnegut

A Matter of Death and Life by Andrey Kurkov

coffee.gif

I started reading "A Thousand Sons" by Graham McNeill and then once I finished that I was going to buy and read "Prospero Burns" by Dan Abnett, which make up the same story (The Sacking Of Prospero in the Warhammer 40,000) universe) told from the perspective of each side. Then my fiancee went a bought Prospero Burns for me and know I have to resist the urge to stop reading A Thousand Sons........

I have a list in my mind of stuff I want to read but alas, those Zombies need shooting and the books will still be there later;

Finish reading;

'A brief history of time' (when it stops hurting my head)

'Walking the Golden Mile' William Regals autobiography

Read;

Shakespear's complete works

The Bible and the Quran

Stealing life cheating death, the Eddie Guererro story

Peter pan

The Flight of Dragons

I started on the Harry Potter set but got 3/4 into the 1st book and got fed up.

Edited by SpiralTap

The Ball is Round: A Global History of Football by David Goldblatt.

Picked up a shop soiled( discoloured and a bit crumpled dust jacket and a bit hardback copy) for 5 pounds from a discount bookstore, turns out it's worth a bit :p

Soft back version is only a tennerish. If you have any interest in football I recommend you to get this book. Mesmerising

• Awards Moderator

Finally completely up to date with the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik after giving in to temptation and buying the hardback of the latest book. (I've got the first five in paperback, and for the sake of shelf conformity I wanted them all to look the same... but I wanted to find out what happened next more). Have I plugged the series in here before? It's seriously awesome. She basically retells the Napoleonic Wars, but if dragons existed. You'll hear the premise, and either go "oooh... that sounds intriguing, I'll have a go" or think "Shit. Shiiiiit." I thought the former, tried out the first book, and loved it. I then proceeded to devour every subsequent book. The way she interweaves real history with, well, dragons is very clever, as is the way she makes you accept the whole dragon thing as something completely ordinary rather than a big crazy fantasy thing. It's the real world, dragons just happen to exist, and you forget you're reading a fantasy novel. The stories are also really good, which is quite important.

Next book will probably be Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro, which I bought on a Kindle ... taking the leap into the future ...

• Paid Members

In 2010, I've read-

Biogs: Walking a Golden Mile (read through again), Ric Flair: To Be The Man and A Lion's Tale - Around The World In Spandex

Proper novels: The Black Dahlia and LA Confidential - James Ellroy and American Psycho - Brett Easton Ellis

Non-fiction: The Great Shark Hunt / Fear And Loathing On The Campaign Trail - Hunter S. Thompson, Friday Night Lights - H.G. Bissinger and Next Man Up - John Feinstein.

I'm currently reading Nerd Do Well (Simon Pegg's book) and re-reading Have A Nice Day: A Tale Of Blood And Sweatsocks.

Edited by sephjnr

That reminds me of one of Stuart Lee's jokes where he goes on a rant about why anyone would consider writing a 'toilet book' an achievment. I couldn't quite make up my mind at the time whether he was being sarcastic or not but he reminded me of an English Literature lectuer who only believes in 'quality' novels. But then I'm not a fan of Stuart Lee.

Anyway, some of the QI books are good for what you suggest, a few interesting quick facts. I suppose the Private Eye annuals have to be mentioned too. Come to think of it, some of the shorter Sherlock Holmes stories are good for a quick read.

• Moderators
That reminds me of one of Stuart Lee's jokes where he goes on a rant about why anyone would consider writing a 'toilet book' an achievment. I couldn't quite make up my mind at the time whether he was being sarcastic or not but he reminded me of an English Literature lectuer who only believes in 'quality' novels. But then I'm not a fan of Stuart Lee.

Anyway, some of the QI books are good for what you suggest, a few interesting quick facts. I suppose the Private Eye annuals have to be mentioned too. Come to think of it, some of the shorter Sherlock Holmes stories are good for a quick read.

I fucking love Stewart Lee, he's my favourite comedian. I thought that was a great rant, but I still believe in good toilet books.

I will have a look at the QI books - cheers.

What does Clarkson write about in his columns? Can't say I'm nuts about the guy, but I'll have a browse if I see them in the book shop.

I fucking love Stewart Lee, he's my favourite comedian. I thought that was a great rant, but I still believe in good toilet books.

I will have a look at the QI books - cheers.

What does Clarkson write about in his columns? Can't say I'm nuts about the guy, but I'll have a browse if I see them in the book shop.

Sorry, I'm just not a fan really. I can't make up my mind whether its his material I have an aversion to or his delivery. One of those things really.