Jump to content

The 'Currently Reading' Thread.


Recommended Posts

  • 3 weeks later...
Posted

Only recently read Yes Man by Danny Wallace. excellent read.

also just finished Bret Harts book. awesome.

 

and I'm half way through Chris Kamara's autobiography. most interesting and quite amusing. I love Kammy, me.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Reading Home Land by Sam Lipsyte - a company I do some typesetting for have just released The Ask, his latest, so I got them to send it to me, and enjoyed it so much that I'm reading his other work. It's hilarious, although it's plain to see that his main characters are all going to be the same unfulfilled, slightly overweight midlife losers.

  • Awards Moderator
Posted (edited)

I've used this thread for quite a few recommendations, so please keep 'em coming. Could I ask though that if people are going to post a picture of the book cover, that they also type the title too? Just makes it easier to check if something has already been posted using the search. Ta.

 

I've just finished reading Denis Leary's Why We Suck for the second time. It's an acquired taste, but fans of his will not be disappointed. It's Leary at his vitriolic best, aiming insults at pretty much anyone and anything which gives the USA its (mostly undeserved) reputation.

 

Here's a link to the synopsis, to give you the gist.

 

Belting read.

Edited by Waterboy
  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Picked this up in a charity shop.

 

cloughTaylor.jpg

 

Can't find one on the internet for less than

Edited by tiger_rick
  • Paid Members
Posted
Currently reading the book adaptation of Shit My Dad Says.

 

How is it? I'm intrigued but if it's just a list of quotes from the Twitter page I'll pass.

Posted

Recently finished Imperial Bedrooms, the new one from Bret Easton Ellis. It's the sequel to his first book, Less Than Zero, which happens to be my least favourite. Tonally and structurally they are similar, though Bedrooms is notably better. The interesting thing about the two is that when I finished Zero, I got nothing from it really other than realising I would be very concerned about the mental state of the author if I knew him, but with Bedrooms there's a real sense of closure for Ellis himself, if not for his characters. It's also deeply unsettling despite probably being the least graphic of his novels (outside of Rules Of Attraction).

 

Are there any other Ellis fans on here who might have read this?

 

I've just started on the Dexter books, having been warned that the tv show is better.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Currently reading Charlotte Roche's "Wetlands" which is violently veering back and forth between disgusting me and giving me the horn. So, thumbs firmly up.

Posted

Picked up The World of Jeeves by PG Wodehouse. It's a collection of some of the Wooster and Jeeves stories. I'm really enjoying it, I can't put my finger on it but there really is a warmth and charm to the characters and stories.

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

Currently...

511Cd5cN09L._SS500_.jpg

 

It's a bit dull to be honest, but didn't expect much to begin with. Kind of enjoy the first chapter where he describes how Gordon Brown asked him for help before Mandelson returned to the cabinet

Posted
I've just started on the Dexter books, having been warned that the tv show is better.

 

I started the third Dexter book last week. Its true that the tv show is better, but that doesn't mean that the books are awful, as the two I've read so far have been enjoyable. There are differences though. Angel is a main character in the show, but a background character in the books. The first book follows the plot of the first season but its not exactly the same, which is good.

  • Awards Moderator
Posted (edited)
Currently reading Charlotte Roche's "Wetlands" which is violently veering back and forth between disgusting me and giving me the horn. So, thumbs firmly up.

 

A friend of mine wrote her dissertation on this book. I only read her essay, not the book, but yeah, it sounds horrific.

 

 

Anyway, OH DEAR GOD GLENN BECK HAS WRITTEN A NOVEL. Anyone who knows who Glenn Beck is will be simultaneously curious and slightly sick in their mouths.

 

 

(and here is an amusing article on it)

Edited by HarmonicGenerator
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...