Jump to content

The 'Currently Reading' Thread.


Recommended Posts

Posted

Currently reading.

 

article-1279044584836-0A6D176B000005DC-672360_304x430.jpg

 

The only thing I really knew about the country before reading this was that it was ruled under a sort of fascist regime. Really good read so far that focuses on the events following the disaster of Cyclone Nargis and how the military regime dealt with the disaster in an extremely peculiar way.

Posted

I'm reading My shit life so far by Frankie Boyle. its hit and miss at best, some bits are amusing, others not so much.

 

it was cheap though.

think I'll pick up more Danny Wallace stuff when I get paid - I've only read Yes Man. I want more by Tony Hawks too.

Posted
I'm reading My shit life so far by Frankie Boyle. its hit and miss at best, some bits are amusing, others not so much.

 

it was cheap though.

think I'll pick up more Danny Wallace stuff when I get paid - I've only read Yes Man. I want more by Tony Hawks too.

I found Join Me to be really good.

  • Paid Members
Posted

ive recently picked up Under The Dome, it's 900 pages so it'll probably take me 10 years to finish it...but im determined.

Posted
I'm reading My shit life so far by Frankie Boyle. its hit and miss at best, some bits are amusing, others not so much.

 

it was cheap though.

think I'll pick up more Danny Wallace stuff when I get paid - I've only read Yes Man. I want more by Tony Hawks too.

I loved it, personally. It's a bit trite in places and reads like a routine stand up gig - all the one liners are in with the biographical accounts - but I knew nothing of Frankie save for his Mock The Week exploits prior to reading it and it was nice to find his soul, if you will. He has some pretty good stuff to say. A lot more political than his stand up act.

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Just come off reading the frankily brilliant but morbid Orlando Figes Book 'The Whisperers' I mentioned earlier Which are factual accounts from the Stalinist Terror purges.. Basically everyone goes missing and/or dies. Cheery but very very insightful social history of the people of the time

 

Highly recommended!

 

Just started 'The Book Thief' By Marcus Zusak, Narrated by 'Death', it follows the tale of a girl in Nazi Germany. A non linear and defamilar narrative plus some cracking dark humour have impressed thus far

Edited by patdfb
  • 3 weeks later...
Posted

tblair_thejourney_memoirs_book_cover.jpg

 

Been reading this for about two weeks and must say I've quite enjoyed it so far. Surprisingly candid and filled with a few moments that have given me a bit of a chuckle.

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

Had a good haul at HMV earlier, came away with;

 

Sons and Lovers - D.H. Lawrence

Big Sur - Jack Kerouac

Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas - Hunter S. Thompson

The Great Shark Hunt - Hunter S. Thompson

Life Of Pi - Yann Martel

The Informers - Bret Easton Ellis

Collected Stories - Edgar Allan Poe

  • 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
Posted

I have most recently read "A Science Fiction Omnibus" by Brian Aldis (or rather, compiled by him.) It was alright.

 

The reason I'm posting is actually to ask if anybody can recommend any books along the lines of Harry Potter, but a bit more mature? And not Discworld stuff. Cheers.

  • 1 month later...
Posted

Random bump.

 

Mostly been reading short stories for my American Literature course lately. 'The Yellow Wall-Paper', 'Fall of The House of Usher', 'Rip Van Winkle', 'Bartleby, The Scrivener' and a few more.

 

Going to start 'Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass' and 'Mrs Dalloway' later.

 

Anybody got any recommendations for recent novels?

Posted

I have the Quantity Theory of Insanity and American Tabloid ready to go for my holiday. Just finished the sublime SuperFreakonomics, a fitting and excellent sequel to Freakonomics.

Posted

I have a big pile of books to get through atm, and i keep buying more! HMV and charity shops are great for books.

 

I'm currently reading At Home - Bill Bryson, which is him at his informative best. And also, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, which i've only just started but has been good so far.

Posted

The Way Home by George Pelecanos. Really loving it so far. He was one of the writers on The Wire. I'll definitely check out more of his stuff after this one.

  • Paid Members
Posted
The Way Home by George Pelecanos. Really loving it so far. He was one of the writers on The Wire. I'll definitely check out more of his stuff after this one.

 

That was the first Pelecanos book I read, it's really good, after that I read The Night Gardener which is better and started the D.C Quartet series he did, I'm waiting on the second book to arrive so I can read them in order.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...