The 'Currently Reading' Thread.

Guest Refuse Matt M

• 1 month later...

Just finished "And Then We Came To The End" by Joshua Ferris. It's a workplace comedy, about an advertising agency, but is incredibly clever and often rather sad. It also employs a weird narrative device - having almost the entire book be written in the first-person-plural tense. But, it's really good and I want you all to read it. Immediately, if possible.

Edited by Hipster Douchebag

• Awards Moderator

I don't remember what I was reading last time I posted here, but currently it's World Without End by Ken Follett. I read Pillars Of The Earth a couple of months ago and absolutely loved it. I'm only about 200 pages in to the follow-up at the moment, but so far, it's just as good.

For anyone in here looking for recommendations, I couldn't rave about Pillars... enough. It's an outstanding book.

currently reading peter kay's second book 'saturday night peter' which has been a decent read so far, before that i was reading john motsons book 'motty: 40 years in the commentary box' which is a fascinating read, particularly for his experiences at tournaments.

ive still to read ant and dec's book, rey mysterio's book and tales from the gwladys street (a book of stories by fans and players)

After the last (excellent) book was finished, I'm now on "The Terror" by Dan Simmons. I've only read his straight horror books before this, and this is a real eye-opener. A story of the doomed 1845 expedition to find the North-West Passage through Canada, but with a completely new twist on things. Only 100 pages in (it's over 900 pages long) but I think it's going to be a classic.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Tottenham Massive by Trevor Tanner.

The only good thing about this book on the Tottenham firm was that it was an excellent Christmas present in terms of thoughtfulness.

I was hoping for a "looking back in regret" tale. Sadly, it wasn't to be. It's pretty much a journal of events, interspersed with shout-outs to his friends and insults/threats to his enemies. The penned events become tedious to the point where it feels like the only differences between the stories are the teams and locations. I've broken down a typical recollection into the following:

"We were 40-handed and met inside The Vic before the game. I received a call saying there were 60 Chelsea in The Red Lion. We smashed the doors in and done them, even though we were outnumbered. After the game I was pumped for more. We saw them on the other side of the road but couldn't get to them because of the police (who hate Spurs) standing in our way and filming us. A dog bit me. At least I'm not a rapist."

Like it wasn't bad enough that the stories were becoming tedious, there's a good dozen or so pages of a policeman's report on what he filmed, which I don't think an officer would read outside of a job requirement.

A sub-theme throughout is how he tries to condone his actions (even as though he's trying to get sympathy) by talking about missing out on games due to being banned and how police should be focussing on "real" crime. The most baffling part of the book is toward the end, where he goes off on a tangent about the government being useless and how badly our army is treated, even including an entry from a soldier. Judging by what the soldier writes about, such as looking out for his mates and knowing that he's with like-minded people to see battles through "until the bitter end", it's like Tanner is trying to relate being a soldier to being a hooligan. I sincerely hope I've got the wrong idea and that he was merely dedicating some pages to patriotism.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend it. The main positive out of it is that it makes a good catalyst for would-be writers. "If this guy can do a book..." and so on.

• Paid Members

51aNllbFRXL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

reading that ^ loving it. However if you wanna read it, i recommend you watch the film first. It's not entirely based on the book, just a story made out of the idea of the book more. But i found that watching the film first gave me a better feel for the ludicrous nature of the book. Get it.

and this...

5113K0BBXDL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

a hard read. it's very detailed, the research that went into this is ridiculous. Slow stuff, but i'm pretty fascinated by the subject so im sticking with it.

Out of interest, a few people on here said they were reading The Dark Tower series and was wondering if they had all given up or stuck with it?

i ve started. got to the bit where the gunslinger meets the oracle. i ve never been albe to get into series of book i like reading just one and thats it finished. i ve never read stephen king book (seen all the movies). i am reading a stephen king book at the moment called cell

• Paid Members
Out of interest, a few people on here said they were reading The Dark Tower series and was wondering if they had all given up or stuck with it?

I've tried to stick with it, but I'm stuck on book five - I can't find a copy anywhere, for love nor money. I can't find any later volumes either - it's almost as if they've withdrawn the series from the shelves. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I've tried to stick with it, but I'm stuck on book five - I can't find a copy anywhere, for love nor money. I can't find any later volumes either - it's almost as if they've withdrawn the series from the shelves. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

have you tried looking online?

• Paid Members

You can get it brand new from Amazon marketplace for 56p (not including postage).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/0...p;condition=new

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

have you tried looking online?

You can get it brand new from Amazon marketplace for 56p (not including postage).

Thanks guys - will check. I don't know why I didn't check online, actually - I'm in dingus mode, it seems.

Actually, now that I've got my shiny new e-Book reader, think I might try and find an electronic copy.