The 'Currently Reading' Thread.

Guest Refuse Matt M

I have both "Reflections on the Revolution in Europe: Immigration, Islam and the West" and "The Struggle for Mastery" in my Amazon wishlists. Have a huge fascination in British and European history and these are definitely books I think should be read at some point.

Just finished 'The Naked Jape' by Jimmy Carr and Lucy Greeves. It's a book which analyses all different aspects of comedy and is also full of loads of jokes. T'was an interesting read.

Next I am going to re-read 'Scar Tissue' by Anthony Kiedis.

I have both "Reflections on the Revolution in Europe: Immigration, Islam and the West" and "The Struggle for Mastery" in my Amazon wishlists.

I think you'll like it, though be aware it's not for the completely casual historical reader. Five hundred pages, so it will last you a while, I'm not sure how much background knowledge you'll need as it's pretty comprehensive, in fact it's most likely the best starting point on the period, except for a few online articles and summaries if you want to get a little familiar before you read.

• Paid Members

8836465x.jpg

bought this in the services on my way to London Friday and read half of it on the way home. Great read, ive never been much of a novel person, but im a big football fan so this is something i fancied. You probably know the tale because its now been adapted into a movie, but its interestingly split between two stories (both involving the main characters but one present, one past), like reading two books in one. Very entertaining.

Edited by Ebb

I'm about a third of the way through William S. Burroughs' Naked Lunch. It's not an easy book to explain because there doesn't appear to be any narrative or any kind of plot that I can comprehend, it's essentially a series of gruesome, disgusting and disturbing events observed by the author as he journeys through a world similar to our own except everybody is completely insane. Imagine Requiem For A Dream, Saw and the "ships log" sequence from Event Horizon and you're pretty much there. This is probably the most offensive and vile piece of literature ever published and yet I'm completely hooked on it.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm about a third of the way through William S. Burroughs' Naked Lunch. It's not an easy book to explain because there doesn't appear to be any narrative or any kind of plot that I can comprehend, it's essentially a series of gruesome, disgusting and disturbing events observed by the author as he journeys through a world similar to our own except everybody is completely insane. Imagine Requiem For A Dream, Saw and the "ships log" sequence from Event Horizon and you're pretty much there. This is probably the most offensive and vile piece of literature ever published and yet I'm completely hooked on it.

I have a (stolen~) copy of Naked Lunch lying around somewhere but I've never managed to get more than about 50 pages through it. It's such a dense work of such a peculiar kind of genius that approaching it as a normal novel seems absolutely futile.

I did manage to read a volume of Burroughs' letters which spanned a decade or so, including the time he spent writing Naked Lunch and the obscenity trials he faced after it's publication. Most of the letters were written to Allen Ginsberg and included lots of early drafts of Naked Lunch routines and a few that didn't make it into the final manuscript. One particularly affecting routine, which I don't think appears in Naked Lunch, involves a man cathartically dismembering a huge centipede and rubbing the oozing pieces of it's body into his chest to the point of exhaustion as a means of pascifying latent homosexual urges. Found that much easier to digest.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Currently taking a bit of time off from Mark Z. Danielewski's "Only Revolutions" to read the fourth instalment of Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" series. Fuck me, is this series good. Incredibly bizarre, with things happening all over the place for no reason, but you don't really have problems accepting it. For example:

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

At one point, in the third book, the three adults - Roland of Gilead, the main character, and his companions, Eddie and Susannah - are sat around a fire, discussing the jawbone Roland took from his enemy as a protective talisman against evil. Roland decides to get rid of it, and chucks it into the fire. What happens next is weird: Roland and Susannah don't see it, but Eddie sees the jawbone warp and twist in the fire, until it forms the shape of a key, before burning up. Somehow, Eddie manages to remember the shape of the teeth on this key, and somehow knows he's going to need to carve a key in this shape.

It doesn't end there. As they're walking through the forest, Eddie all of a sudden notices an alder branch - somehow, in a vision, he just knows that that is the specific branch he needs to carve the key from, because he doesn't see it as carving as much as freeing the hidden object from the wood.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

There's no explanation at all as to why this strange stuff happens, but after a while, you just find it's easier and much more enjoyable to go along with the story.

• Paid Members

Speaking of Stephen King, my copy of "The Running Man" is on order from my library. Is it as enjoyable as the film? (i'm aware they're totally different) but if you had to pick film or book.

• Paid Members
Speaking of Stephen King, my copy of "The Running Man" is on order from my library. Is it as enjoyable as the film? (i'm aware they're totally different) but if you had to pick film or book.

I prefered the book. Though, as you say, they are very different and both are enjoyable.

I just finished the Saga of the Seven Suns. A great series, now I'm moving onto the Night Watch trilogy.