The 'Currently Reading' Thread.

Guest Refuse Matt M

Finished "Making the Elephant" and it's very much recommended for fans of his previous fiction novels.

Currently reading

8325_jpg_280x450_q85.jpg

Very good indeed. Well paced, believable characters and setting which creates a story that I have sincerely struggled to put down.

• Paid Members

just started a novel, which is kinda rare for me as i'm more of a biography kinda guy...

clive-barker-hellbound-small.jpg

it's the book Hellraiser is based on, i love the movie so i thought id give the book a whirl. If you ever wanted a faithful adaptation i guess this is the one to reference (book and movie written and directed by Barker). It's a short book so i should bash through it in a few sittings.

just started a novel, which is kinda rare for me as i'm more of a biography kinda guy...

it's the book Hellraiser is based on, i love the movie so i thought id give the book a whirl. If you ever wanted a faithful adaptation i guess this is the one to reference (book and movie written and directed by Barker). It's a short book so i should bash through it in a few sittings.

I've had that for quite a while and haven't read it yet. Share your opinions when you've finished as I want to know whether it's worth the time.

Just started a new one.

Mills.jpg

Not read anything of it yet, but "The Black Monastery" was a brilliant thriller with a very good little twist at the end which some crime novel fans would appreciate.

I wanted to bring this up in this thread also.

The Amazon Kindle has been doing quite well in America but I can't really see myself sitting down and reading a full novel on it, so apart from saving me having to carry around a large number of extremely heavy text books when I start University full time, I can't really see a big reason why I would fork out the massive amount of money for one.

What are other peoples thoughts on it?

I've had that for quite a while and haven't read it yet. Share your opinions when you've finished as I want to know whether it's worth the time.

Quoting myself, hmm, that's peculiar.

Anyway, I've now picked up Hellbound Heart and have found it an exciting read to say the least.

Any other Clive Barker books that his fans would care to recommend? Also, Ebb, what did you think of the book?

Quoting myself, hmm, that's peculiar.

Anyway, I've now picked up Hellbound Heart and have found it an exciting read to say the least.

Any other Clive Barker books that his fans would care to recommend? Also, Ebb, what did you think of the book?

I've only read Mister B Gone - tis pretty ace tho!

• Moderators

51SZHY6P5ZL._SS500_.jpg

Clocking in at well over 800 pages, this book is a MUST for every fan of Cricket. Really. He doesn't shirk away from controversy, clashes with over personalities, and opens up his personal life far more than you'd expect.

It's not Ghostwritten, and he has this amazing ability to be brutally honest, yet not come off as a cock or a whining little girl (unlike Bret Hart).

Yeah, fucking great book.

• Paid Members

Just started reading the second of the Dark Tower series. Will post more once I get further, but I really liked the first, so I'm expecting great things.

• Paid Members
Oh after this I'm thinking about taking up the Twilight series to see what all the fuss is about, anyone care to give me their opinions on the books?

Overrated. To be fair I've only read the first book, but I don't understand why it inspired a phenomenom from THAT.

notimeforgoodbye.jpg

Just read this, it's really good actually, I read it in a day I was that gripped. The ending is perhaps a little contrived, but I enjoyed the novel enough to overlook that and recommend it heavily. Here's a summary from Amazon because I'm lazy.

On the morning she will never forget, suburban teenager Cynthia Archer awakes with a nasty hangover and a feeling she is going to have an even nastier confrontation with her mom and dad. But when she leaves her bedroom, she discovers the house is empty, with no sign of her parents or younger brother Todd. In the blink of an eye, without any explanation, her family has simply disappeared. Twenty-five years later Cynthia is still haunted by unanswered questions. Were her family murdered? If so, why was she spared? And if they're alive, why did they abandon her in such a cruel way? Now married with a daughter of her own, Cynthia fears that her new family will be taken from her just as her first one was. And so she agrees to take part in a TV documentary revisiting the case, in the hope that somebody somewhere will remember something - or even that her father, mother or brother might finally reach out to her... Then a letter arrives which makes no sense and yet chills Cynthia to the core. And soon she begins to realise that stirring up the past could be the worst mistake she has ever made...

american-psycho-cover1.jpg

Read this recently. I thought it was fantastic, if very disturbing in parts. I don't think I could stomach the film after reading it, and ultimately think much of the book would be lost via the translation. Maybe someone who has both seen the film and read the book could tell me how much the book has been lost via the transition to the big screen?

{541512DA-49C3-472B-AB73-776D82D5B5C1}Img100.jpg

Fun little read, I'd highly recommend this two. Lots of interesting facts in here if you're that way inclined.

x15106.jpg

Probably the funniest book I've ever read. It's basically a guy (Robin Cooper, the author is Robert Popper though) who writes letter to companies and runs with their replies. The letters are really sent to real companies, and the replies printed are real too, and the book had me laughing out loud (with proper belly laughs) regularly. Popper's been involved with Black Books, Spaced and the Eleven O'Clock show and is a very funny writer, and I really recommend you buy this book.

• Paid Members
Just started reading the second of the Dark Tower series. Will post more once I get further, but I really liked the first, so I'm expecting great things.

I quite literally bought that yesterday :omg: and read a little bit at work today

• Paid Members

Just started re-reading my Sharpe books. Im a big fan of military history (pre WW1 mostly) and love these books.

To agree with a few posts up, Timewasters Letters, the QI Book Of General Ignorance and American Psycho are great.

Twilight, just meh until the last books last third. Then its OK. Poorly written and full of purple prose.