Guest Refuse Matt M

Yesterday, I just finished reading this;

gods.jpg

Now I need to read this for class;

n57483.jpg

Which is apparently dull as sin.

Then I'd like to move on to;

godDelusionUK200.jpg

Which I bought over a month ago an haven't gotten around to reading yet.

God Delusion is a fantastic book and if you like Dawkins previous work then you'll love it.

• Paid Members

1984 by George Orwell.

Firstly, in future if anybody tells me that this book is an "alarming paralell" to 21st Century Britain I'll smack them. It's nothing like that.

Secondly, I've found it readable if a little dry. I'm three quarters of the way through it now and am feeling a little bored.

Oh after this I'm thinking about taking up the Twilight series to see what all the fuss is about, anyone care to give me their opinions on the books?

I've just finished reading the fourth and final book in this series.

Well worth reading, they can be a little slow in places so you may find you are struggling through a little bit, but considering the urgency in which i felt the need to finish these i'm sure they author knew what she was doing :)

Oh and I didn't even realise they were romances till the third book :laugh:

I'll also be very interested in your take on certain characters, as i'm sure the author meant for different readers to take different sides... but i shall say no more!

Oh after this I'm thinking about taking up the Twilight series to see what all the fuss is about, anyone care to give me their opinions on the books?

I've just finished reading the fourth and final book in this series.

Well worth reading, they can be a little slow in places so you may find you are struggling through a little bit, but considering the urgency in which i felt the need to finish these i'm sure they author knew what she was doing :)

Oh and I didn't even realise they were romances till the third book :laugh:

I'll also be very interested in your take on certain characters, as i'm sure the author meant for different readers to take different sides... but i shall say no more!

Judging from the mixed reaction of the film I'm not really sure what to do. I'm not a fan of the lovey dovey stories, but the fantasy element draws me in so I'm genuinely not sure. Anyway I've nearly finished the book I posted previously as my "currently reading" so I want you guys to choose out of these two which I should read next.

Keeping in mind I will have to read both as I have to review them, but not sure which to read first so I'll let you guys choose the starter.

Choice Number 1:

32385877.JPG

An insight into the world of the net generation and how much it influences our lives and our up bringing. It's more of a study than a novel or memoir, but I still think it will be a good and challenging read.

Choice Number 2:

Numbers-jacket2.jpg

It's a story about a woman who can look at people and see how long they have to live. That's all I know for now and am actually lead to believe it's a childrens book, but who the fuck knows.

Edited by Steveo2007

• Paid Members

31mY+h4rvxL._SS500_.jpg

Just finished, meh..it was ok, the book is basically 5 shorts 'essays' by different writers. All covering different aspects of the case and the subject in general, for example one chapter is about Benoit's career (albeit very brief), another is about the news' reaction to the case, another covers death in wrestling in general. It's an obvious cash in and wont tell you anything you wont already know, but if you have to read everything about pro wrestling you'll prob want to read it.

Just started...

510J2MG7E6L._SS500_.jpg

31mY%20h4rvxL._SS500_.jpg

Just finished, meh..it was ok, the book is basically 5 shorts 'essays' by different writers. All covering different aspects of the case and the subject in general, for example one chapter is about Benoit's career (albeit very brief), another is about the news' reaction to the case, another covers death in wrestling in general. It's an obvious cash in and wont tell you anything you wont already know, but if you have to read everything about pro wrestling you'll prob want to read it.

Just started...

510J2MG7E6L._SS500_.jpg

Yes man is an amazing book and if you've read any of his others, it's easily the best.

Read the Benoit book in Orlando, been honest, theres not much too it, finished it in one sitting and didnt really pick up any information that I didnt already know, some of the book was actually quite insulting in regards to how simple some of it had been written, and on the other hand, it was also quite insulting to wrestling fans. Glad I only paid a fiver for it.

Currently reading Dibiases, against comes across as very simplistic and almost fact like stating, no real detail and no real inside to anyone that followed his career or have a good understanding of it. Thankfully its better than his previous effort at a biography.

Read "Greatest Rivalaires" whilst reading Dibiases, not as good as the 80s retrospective that WWE, was fun to read about some of the older feuds, but unlike the 80s book, the author seemed to skimp on the detail, shame, couldve been a lot more fun that a quick read.

Not too sure what to pick up next, quite fancy reading through Watchmen again before the hype starts to pick up. Also expecting the Andre book in the post any day now, but think that could be essential reading for the flight to Houston.

currently reading

sign-of-the-cross.jpg

Currently an exciting read that's the Da Vinci Code on acid and not so obvious as to where the plot is going. It's one of those books that starts off telling about 4 different stories that you know will all come together in the end. I'm looking forward to seeing where it's going which is something I don't usually feel when reading. I know that sounds silly, but there you go.

Oh and I would recommend Numbers as it's one of those books that you could read in a second as it draws you in, puts its arms around you and says "you're not leaving until your done." After I had made that post, I picked the book up again and read it in bed which lead me to finish it. The characters start off as annoying chavs, but the writer gradually exposes the loveable humanity of them and I certainly found myself buying for their victory.

31mY%20h4rvxL._SS500_.jpg

Just started...

510J2MG7E6L._SS500_.jpg

Yes man is an amazing book and if you've read any of his others, it's easily the best.

It's a nice story, but I hate how 'funny' he tries to make everything all the time. It makes some of the stuff seem all the more fake.

I'm reading Pure Dynamite, got to say, what a titanic letdown so far. Badly written, badly edited, with very few stories. Maybe it's because I'm 9 years late to it, but wow, really not enjoying it.

• Paid Members

200px-StephenBaxter_evolution.jpg

In Evolution, Stephen Baxter explores deep time to dramatise the story of Earth's evolving primates--from tiny shrew-like creatures dodging reptilian predators in the Cretaceous era, to humans of the 21st century and beyond.

The long drama starts with a bang: the Chicxlub meteor impact 65 million years ago--the dinosaur killer--bringing a holocaust of extinctions. Baxter describes that apocalyptic strike and aftermath in lurid, compelling detail.

By now the crater was a glowing bowl of shining, boiling impact melt, wide enough to have engulfed the Los Angeles area from Santa Barbara to Long Beach. And its depth was four times the height of Everest, its lip further above its floor than the tracks of supersonic planes above Earth's surface.

This book's hero is evolution itself, shaping surviving pre-humans into tree dwellers, remoulding a group that drifts from Africa to a (then closer) New World on a raft of debris, confronting others with a terrible dead end as ice clamps down on Antarctica. Elsewhere the river of DNA runs on, and ape-like creatures in North Africa are forced out of dwindling forests to stumble across grasslands where their distant descendants will joyously run.

Although the episodes resonate with one another, each is a separate triumph or tragedy whose early protagonists are uncomprehending animals ("He knew on a deep cellular level that..."). Darwin's imperatives force their successors to grapple with self-awareness, consciousness, memory, abstract thought. Tools emerge, and art, and language. One troubled genius of 60,000 years ago is seen inventing a theory of magic in hope of understanding and controlling the environment--and her contemporaries. Her reward is to become "the first person in all human history to have a name."

The story continues, and the apparent framing narrative--about a last-ditch global conference hoping to solve the ecological nightmares of 2031--is not the end. Baxter's final snapshot is 500 million years in our future....

Enormously ambitious in scope, Evolution shows the whole sweep and precariousness of pre-human and human development. We are so lucky to be here--although, as Baxter makes it clear, the luck may be running out.

I'm about half way through this almost 800 page book (started reading it yesterday morning) and though its not exactly what I was expecting, it's still very very good. It's extremely detail heavy, so if you don't like a lot of description I wouldn't recommend it.

Just finished reading: Floodlit Dreams: How to Save a Football Club by Ian Ridley.

Basically, he becomes Chairman of Weymouth FC in the conference, inheriting their debt and trying to organise a five year plan to get them to the football league and on their feet. However, along the way there are various struggles (people not wanting to put money in, people 'putting' money in, general back stabbing). It is really good and there is still enough on pitch action for it not just to be the finances. Steve Claridge is the manager at the time as well. A good read, got a couple of books sitting waiting back in the flat, so will start something tonight probably.

I finished Six Degrees a little while ago - an excellent book on global warming - comparing modern climates to historic periods of time etc - some scientific detail but not too much to bore The writer refers to a variety of different climatalogical, biological and geological research papers & programmes which backs up the theories.

Unfortunately its let down a little by leaning towards sensationalism.

Im reading Danny Wallace's Friends liek these - just over half way through and am yet to find anything funny.

Edited by carolann

• Moderators

Currently reading the most recent Salman Rushdie; Enchantress of Florence. Not really far enough into it to give an opinion yet but I'm sure I'll enjoy it as I like all his work that I've read (which is the majority of it).

The real reason I came to post in this thread though is that both the Charlie Brooker books are