Jump to content

The 'Currently Reading' Thread.


Recommended Posts

Guest TakerFan2K5
Posted

Stephanie did you find all of them to be pretty much the same base plot? Oh and Angels & Demons should have been the first film easily.

They're making DVC first because it's the world famous one, and it will put backsides in seats. Should it be successful (which I've no doubt it will), I would expect them to make Angels & Demons as a prequel of sorts, probably followed in turn by the next Dan Brown book, which will again feature Robert Langdon and is rumoured to focus on Masonic treasures in and around Washington DC.On your other point, the plot of all 4 books is fairly similar, but I think A&D and of course DVC are far and away the best two. Deception Point certainly isn't bad, but I found Digital Fortress to be rather dull to say the least.Another author I would certainly recommend to people is Karin Slaughter. She has written 5 books, entitled (in chronological order): Blindsighted, Kisscut, A Faint Cold Fear, Indelible and Faithless, all focused on a small town in Georgia and revolving around the relationship between the local coroner and the chief of police (they were married, got divorced but still have feelings for each other) in relation to crimes taking place in the area. A lot of the details in the books are very graphic and forensic-based, but I would rate them as well worth a read if you like crime novels.
  • Paid Members
Posted

At the moment, I'm mid way through reading The Da Vinci Code for about the 20th time to pass time waiting for the movie to be released.

I still haven't got into that. Altho I did read a book the other day about the bloodline of Christ, suggesting that it's still around and that Princess Diana had it!
Which one? I'm currently jumping on the bandwagon and reading Holy Blood, Holy Grail, and I'm hoping that you've not just ruined the ending for me.
  • Paid Members
Posted

BC_1416520341.jpg

Thats a pretty decent book in all honesty. I read it yesterday to review it for wrestling101, very like Dean Koontz. I also read Inside the cage in the last 24 hours, an autobiography of an illegal cage figher.
Posted

I’m currently reading Divided Kingdom by Rupert Thompson (Well, that and my Driving Theory book :( ) It’s an odd little beast (Like all his books) about the government trying to solve societies problems by diving the UK into four and relocating people according to psychological type instead of family, race or wealth. The four areas are based on the four “humours” of human temperament, the Ancient Greeks believed that the balance of four bodily fluids controlled human behaviour – Blood, Black Bile, Yellow Bile and Phlegm.It’s an interesting little read, and very well written, but the pace is a little too slow and something could do with happening soon.

Posted

I've just finished "A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson, and it's bloody brilliant. Essentially, it's the sum of mankinds scientific endeavour "for dummies"...like me. In almost every chapter, the science is quite heavy, but there will be one sentence or paragraph that just makes you sit back and go "fuuuccckkkk.....". Seriously, even if you hate science, read it.

Posted

eggers.jpg

 

Only a penny (although p+p is 275% more expensive on Amazon.

 

p019Entertainmentreviews01-10.jpg

 

Best of McSweeney's volume 2

 

createdindarkness-thumb.jpg

 

Best of McSweeney's Humour Category

 

May is Dave Eggers month for my bookshelf, it would seem.

Posted

Not sure if websites count.Guess they do.At the minute im reading the peoples war section of the BBC website.It's a massive collection of true stories of people going through the second world war.Im mostly reading the blitz section at the mo & a lot of the stories are from around where i live.I'm well into WW2 & the blitz but it's even more interesting because i know a lot of the places really well.

  • 2 years later...
Posted

Just giving this thread a rebirth to inform you I'm currently reading

 

41ifZYDM0oL.jpg

 

Surprisingly interesting and heartwarming read, especially when talking about his encounters with Muhammad Ali

Posted

Mill's On Liberty- which is as great an example of a thought-provoking book that I've ever read. Literally every page provides some utterance that bears relevance to some common ethical discussion. I think the broadness of how it's central point (that governments should only legislate to prevent individuals harming others) can be interpreted helps it's acceptance, but also provides numerous points for debate. Also picking at a condensed version of the (Tony) Benn Diaries which runs up to a mere 500 pages. Although obviously there is no deep analysis or anything, it's great to see how all the bigger players enter and leave the fold. He was actually quite a moderate (well, when there was a real left-wing faction of the Labour Party) during his earlier days.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Currently reading "Wizards and Glass" in The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. So far these books have just completely sucked me in. The world, mythology and characters are just amazing. My dream would be to one day see a HBO animated series based on it, it''ll never happen but it would be incredible.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...