The 'Currently Reading' Thread.

Guest Refuse Matt M

• Paid Members
Currently reading "Wizards and Glass" in The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. So far these books have just completely sucked me in. The world, mythology and characters are just amazing. My dream would be to one day see a HBO animated series based on it, it''ll never happen but it would be incredible.

I've got the first one of that series. Haven't got round to reading it yet, am currently reading the Illuminatus! trilogy. It's a sort of semi-parodical version of the Da Vinci Code, but was written in 1975. The style of writing is bizarre, but it reads surprisingly well. Definitely recommended for both conspiracy theorists and de-bunkers alike.

I remember Refuse Matt M. What a silly cunt he was.

Reading "Salt" by Adam Roberts right now. It's a science fiction, about the settlement of a less than ideal planet by a variety of fictional nations who came together to finance the expedition. Once they get there, tensions between a very rigid culture and an anarchist nation begin to build. It's proper science fiction, but the majoraty of the interest comes from the writer's creation of the Als, the anarchist group. Interesting, although somewhat harrowing, so far.

• Paid Members

Reading "Salt" by Adam Roberts right now. It's a science fiction, about the settlement of a less than ideal planet by a variety of fictional nations who came together to finance the expedition. Once they get there, tensions between a very rigid culture and an anarchist nation begin to build. It's proper science fiction, but the majoraty of the interest comes from the writer's creation of the Als, the anarchist group. Interesting, although somewhat harrowing, so far.

If you enjoy that, you might enjoy the Mars trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson - Red, Green and Blue Mars. All about the colonisation, terraforming and then political maturation of Mars by humanity.

I'm currently reading "Angels of Death - Inside the Bikers crime empire" by William Marsden and Julian Sher

Interesting book looking at the Hells Angels, I recommend it, strangely there was a program covering the 'main case' outlined in the book on TV tonight that I haven't seen and it was really interesting to see that while in the middle of the book (I have read it before but it's a good book)

Also got "By Any Means" By Charlie Boorman, pretty much the 'follow up' to the TV Show "Long way Down" and so far, it's fun but I just get the feeling that Boorman is so full of himself there's no room for anyone else.

Just finished - "A Lions Tale" by Chris Jericho.

Utterly fantastic and recommended.

I've just finished Parky's book after being half way through last night. Picked it up today and didn't put it down, except for the odd bit here and there for a quick break on here and to make myself some food.

What a story the man has to tell. Some genuinely funny anecdotes from the many massive celebrities he's met, and some heart wrenching parts when talking about the passing of his mother and father.

It makes you appreciate more what he had to offer to the chat show genre and it kind of makes me feel a bit angry towards those who seemed to treat him in a shambolic manner at the end of his time. Especially considering Al Murray was the chat show host that was to be his replacement on ITV. He actually comes across as quite angry and bitter about the scenario that lead to his retirement, and to be honest you really can't blame him.

I would strongly recommend this to fans of Parkinson the show and the man.

I'm currently reading "Angels of Death - Inside the Bikers crime empire" by William Marsden and Julian Sher

Interesting book looking at the Hells Angels, I recommend it, strangely there was a program covering the 'main case' outlined in the book on TV tonight that I haven't seen and it was really interesting to see that while in the middle of the book (I have read it before but it's a good book)

Also got "By Any Means" By Charlie Boorman, pretty much the 'follow up' to the TV Show "Long way Down" and so far, it's fun but I just get the feeling that Boorman is so full of himself there's no room for anyone else.

Just finished - "A Lions Tale" by Chris Jericho.

Utterly fantastic and recommended.

He's that prick who's the follower of Ewan McGregor isn't he?

I fucking hate that guy?

Apart from being McGregors follower, what's he famous for?

Edited by Steveo2007

If you enjoy that, you might enjoy the Mars trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson - Red, Green and Blue Mars. All about the colonisation, terraforming and then political maturation of Mars by humanity.

I've actually already read those, but thanks.

Apart from being McGregors follower, what's he famous for?

Time - 12 seconds.

Personal life

Boorman is the son of costume designer Christel Kruse and film director John Boorman.[1] He is married to Olivia with whom he has two daughters, Doone and Kinvara.

Acting career

Thanks to his father he got an early start in the film business as a child actor, first appearing in Deliverance (1972) and then returning to cinema as a young Mordred in Excalibur (1981), and The Emerald Forest (1985) also directed by his father. More recent films include The Serpent's Kiss (1997) on which he met his best friend Ewan McGregor, and The Bunker (2001). He has recently taken time off from movie work for various motorcycling adventures.

Filmograph

Deliverance (1972)

Excalibur (1981)

The Emerald Forest (1985)

The Serpent's Kiss (1997)

The Bunker (2001)

• Moderators

Why does he have to be famous for something else to read his book, anyway?

As far as I'm aware Salman Rushdie wasn't a reknown trapeze artist before he started writing or anything, but somehow he's managed to spin a decent yarn or two.

I'm still reading lots of graphic novels from the library at the minute; currently on XIII. Just finished Volume 1 and need to track down the rest somehow! (The only problem with geting comics from the library.)

• Paid Members
Very funny and tells the story of a man growing up in an orthodox Jewish family and how he struggles with his faith and his family, especially his father.

Along similar lines, My Name Is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok is also very good.

I'm not reading anything at the moment, though

Doing so much writing these days, I don't read much as I feel it affects my style.

However, I'm workin through Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury at the minute, a nice, sleepy wistful book set in 1928 rural America before the depression hit. Nothing much happens in it, but that's why I like it, lets him be unique with language and situations and little things, and avoid cliches of storytelling. Some chapters are more interesting than others, but overall highly reccomended.