Jump to content

The 'Currently Reading' Thread.


Recommended Posts

  • Awards Moderator
Posted

Since Christmas I seem to have been reading no less than 3 books at any one time - currently it's The Road by Cormac McCarthy, 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea by Jules Verne, and The Shrinking Man by Richard Matheson.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Currently reading The Last Gunslinger in the Dark Tower Trilogy by Stephen King - LaGoosh was right, it's amazing so far. Also reading the Illuminatus! Trilogy still (it's a mahoosive book), The First Circle by Alexander Solzhenitsyn, A New Democracy? by Harry Shutt (the guy wrote this book in 2001, and he completely foresaw the Credit Crunch - not that it would happen, as that's too obvious, but the very nature of it), and I'm also re-reading one of my all-time favourites, Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stephenson.

Posted

200px-Robert_Rankin_-_The_Garden_of_Unearthly_Delights.jpg

 

Few people noticed it at first. The changes. They were subtle to begin with. Like when the Leader of the Opposition challenged the PM to step outside and settle things man to man. And the PM agreed. Or the way the baked ham rose up against Dave while he was standing in the check-out queue at Budgens. Small things. But they just kept getting bigger. And by the time everyone realised that something very strange was going on, it was all too late.

 

The Earth had left behind the age of science and reason and moved once more into a time of myth. A time of legend and heroes. Of romance and wizardry and wonder. It was time to take the mother of all giant leaps and enter - The Garden of Unearthly Delights.

Posted

Currently:

 

digital_fortress.jpg

 

I absolutely adored the Da Vinci Code and enjoyed Angels & Demons, but I don't know what it is but with this book I'm all of a sudden becoming aware of the criticisms that were laid against Brown for Da Vinci code in regards to his writing style. His writing is very clumsy and at times just seems to veer off in a completely arbitrary direction.

 

Just flicking through the Da Vinci Code and it's exactly the same and I can't believe I didn't notice it before, because of that I am finding it very hard to get engrossed in this book and I am a bit disappointed but I'm going to finish it and see if my mind's changed by the end.

Posted (edited)

Finished Digital Fortress last night and it was a good book overall, kept me entertained. The writing isn't brilliant and you really need to suspend your beliefs and brain for this one as you have to come to believe that the NSA doesn't work saturdays.

 

Oh and that teachers are action heroes who manage to avoid the worlds best assassin time and time again.

 

Just started

 

414+2BAt-sL._SL500_.jpg

 

No comment for now.

Edited by Steveo2007
Posted
Wow.. you really do have the most unrepentantly lowbrow tastes... It's like you just manage to keep lowering the bar on my expectations.

I'm not a snob with books. I'll read pretty much anything as I'm the same with films and music, I'll give anything a chance.

 

I like Paul O'Grady and he honestly reminds me of my nan, but the book's nothing to shout about so far.

Posted
Don't know whether to start American Psycho, Brave New World or Catch-22. Decisions, decisions.

 

I've been meaning to read American Psycho ever since I saw the film. Apparently the book is brutal.

 

I'm ready Chris Jericho's autobiography at the mo, and its really good. Funny in places and really interesting.

 

I'm up to him joining WCW and what sticks in my head so far is how Vampiro gets absolutely ripped in the book. I know its only "one side of the story", but he comes across as an absolute prick.

Posted
Wow.. you really do have the most unrepentantly lowbrow tastes... It's like you just manage to keep lowering the bar on my expectations.

 

Interestingly the Paul O'Grady book is actually supposed to be very good as it doesn't follow the standard ghost written "I was poor, then I made it, so and so is really a twat" formula.

 

If memory serves it is the only celeb book from 2008 that Private Eye didn't savage.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...