The 'Currently Reading' Thread.

Guest Refuse Matt M

• Paid Members
Just started reading the second of the Dark Tower series. Will post more once I get further, but I really liked the first, so I'm expecting great things.

I quite literally bought that yesterday :omg: and read a little bit at work today

I'm about halfway through book 7 now. Incredible stuff. I've been reading these books every night before I go to bed since last November...I'm almost dreading finishing them.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

Mmm...the only similarites would be that it is 7 books long and has magic in it. It's a strange mix of Lord Of The Rings....The Good, The Bad & The Ugly and I dunno...Lost maybe. I can't really go into it too much without spoilers but it's nothing like Harry Potter. The basic premise is a character from a mythical land Gilead, Roland who is the last of the gunslingers (think Jedis in the form of Clint Eastwood), and his journey to a place called The Dark Tower which is the point where all the endless worlds and universes that exist all meet. It's by Stephen King so features all the nasty violent and scary stuff he is famous for.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members
american-psycho-cover1.jpg

Read this recently. I thought it was fantastic, if very disturbing in parts. I don't think I could stomach the film after reading it, and ultimately think much of the book would be lost via the translation. Maybe someone who has both seen the film and read the book could tell me how much the book has been lost via the transition to the big screen?

The murders in the movie are very tame in comparison to the book. All the stuff with the nail gun, the tramps eyeballs, the kid in the park and the rat from the toilet are gone. I actually think it's probably the best adaption I've ever seen. It really nails the central themes of the book and the Bateman character. I recommend it.

Mmm...the only similarites would be that it is 7 books long and has magic in it. It's a strange mix of Lord Of The Rings....The Good, The Bad & The Ugly and I dunno...Lost maybe. I can't really go into it too much without spoilers but it's nothing like Harry Potter. The basic premise is a character from a mythical land Gilead, Roland who is the last of the gunslingers (think Jedis in the form of Clint Eastwood), and his journey to a place called The Dark Tower which is the point where all the endless worlds and universes that exist all meet. It's by Stephen King so features all the nasty violent and scary stuff he is famous for.

:yinyang: Sounds rather good, i'm tempted to give 'em a go now

Loved Hellbound Heart. I think if the film was matched to the book scene by scene then I would've enjoyed the film much more than I did.

I've started getting back into history, and I'm currently on...

9751_jpg_280x450_q85.jpg

Since I was a kid I've always had an interest in History but didn't do it in school, so I thought that seeing as I'm doing Psychology as my degree, I can sort of self teach history just reading books fiction/non-fiction that relate to periods that interest me.

After the above, I'm going to go onto...

512xWTR4RIL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

This literally came from a direct recommendation from the Authors daughter and translator of the book. She had seen my review of Stalin's biography on Amazon and decided I may find this of interest.

• Paid Members

With the Dark Tower I own all of them and read upto the 3rd or 4th and left it for a bit and as I said I got upto the 3rd or 4th and couldn't tell you which!

I am currently reading Planet Google, all about Google. Pretty interesting so far.

Read this recently. I thought it was fantastic, if very disturbing in parts. I don't think I could stomach the film after reading it, and ultimately think much of the book would be lost via the translation. Maybe someone who has both seen the film and read the book could tell me how much the book has been lost via the transition to the big screen?

The murders in the movie are very tame in comparison to the book. All the stuff with the nail gun, the tramps eyeballs, the kid in the park and the rat from the toilet are gone. I actually think it's probably the best adaption I've ever seen. It really nails the central themes of the book and the Bateman character. I recommend it.

The key to the film is that it concentrates on the characters and themes of the book rather than simply trying to reproduce each and every paragraph on screen exactly how it is written. The key word is adaption, something quite a few film makers seem to forget - Harry Potter springs to mind.

American Psycho might be my favourite novel. I get something new from it each time I read it, and I've found myself laughing out loud at some of the comedy in it the more I read it. The film is an excellent adaptation.

Currently reading:

Todd_House_of_leaves.jpg

I'm about 100 pages in. It's hard work. Basically it's about a guy who, when an old man dies in his building, finds the old man's notebooks/paper scrawls/etc of an apparent thesis type thing he compiled based on a film made about a house that may or may not have been haunted. In addition to the complicated plot, the method in which the novel is structured is quite unique. Not only is there a dual narrative in which while reading the document we're directed to footnotes, some of which come from the protagonist, taking the reader on a completely divergant path, but the physical presentation of the novel is....well... a bit mental.

hol3.jpg

leaves.jpg

That kind of thing. I've a long way to go yet so it remains to be seen whether both the story and its structure hold up or dissolve into pretension, but I'm fairly gripped at the moment.

• Moderators

Ooh, my favourite book. I think everyone finds Truant's sections harder going than the Navidson stuff on the first read, but it's worth sticking with it as written the first time, then picking and choosing whichever sections interest you on further reads. I'll talk about it more when you're finished, as I don't want to spoil anything.

Right now I'm reading Frantic Planet: Volume II, for the millionth and last time before unleashing it on the world within the next couple of weeks. Hopefully not the last time that book appears in this thread :(

I can get to Mark Z. Danielewski's other book, Only Revolutions, now that my self-imposed ban on other people's fiction is about to be lifted. That has an equally fucky structure.

Only Revolutions is printed in such a way that both covers appear to be the front of the book. The side with the green cover is the story as told by Sam, and the side with the gold cover is the story as told by Hailey. Every page contains upside-down text in the bottom margin, which is actually later pages of the opposite volume. For example, the first page of Hailey's story contains the last several lines of Sam's story, apparently upside down. When you reach that page while reading Sam's story, those lines will appear to be the only right-side-up text on the page.

The first letter of each 8 page "section" is larger and bold when compared to the other letters. When the reader puts the single letters together from Hailey's side they spell out "Sam and Hailey and Sam and Hailey..." etc. When read from Sam's side, they spell out "Hailey and Sam and Hailey and Sam..." etc.

Each half-page contains exactly 90 words. When both stories are combined, the words add together for a total of 180 words per page, perhaps to symbolize the 180 degrees the reader must turn the book to read the opposite volume. Also, with both pages open, the full word count is 360, essentially making a revolution (360 degrees) with every open page.

The publisher recommends the reading of eight pages from one story, then the other, and so on.