Paid Members seph Posted July 30, 2010 Paid Members Posted July 30, 2010 Next Man Up by John Feinstein - a year in the life of the Baltimore Ravens. <-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler Lol Ill pretend U said Playoffs. [close spoiler] ");document.close();
Steveo2007 Posted August 5, 2010 Posted August 5, 2010 Have to say that I really found Mandelson's book surprisingly great. Well written and a good background on the history of New Labour. I'd have liked a more personal approach with more of a look into his childhood and personal life, as he seemed to just glaze over this, but overall it was excellent. Keeping with the political theme I'm now reading, From New Jerusalem to New Labou: British Prime Ministers from Attlee to Blair. Basically, it's a set of short essays on the 11 post-war Prime Ministers.
Dynamite Duane Posted August 5, 2010 Posted August 5, 2010 I'm reading Flat Earth News by Nick Davies. Award winning Guardian reporter exposing, falsehood, distortion, and propaganda in the global media.
Dynamite Duane Posted August 5, 2010 Posted August 5, 2010 Have to say that I really found Mandelson's book surprisingly great. Well written and a good background on the history of New Labour. I'd have liked a more personal approach with more of a look into his childhood and personal life, as he seemed to just glaze over this, but overall it was excellent. Keeping with the political theme I'm now reading, From New Jerusalem to New Labou: British Prime Ministers from Attlee to Blair. Basically, it's a set of short essays on the 11 post-war Prime Ministers. Does Mandy's book mention anything about his Bilderberg group membership?
Steveo2007 Posted August 5, 2010 Posted August 5, 2010 Have to say that I really found Mandelson's book surprisingly great. Well written and a good background on the history of New Labour. I'd have liked a more personal approach with more of a look into his childhood and personal life, as he seemed to just glaze over this, but overall it was excellent. Keeping with the political theme I'm now reading, From New Jerusalem to New Labou: British Prime Ministers from Attlee to Blair. Basically, it's a set of short essays on the 11 post-war Prime Ministers. Does Mandy's book mention anything about his Bilderberg group membership? Nope. Not that I can remember anyway. There's obviously a lot of bias and I had to say that from time to time I got the impression he was consistently making excuses for himself to justify the times he "resigned" but there are a lot of really good political stories in it especially when touching on the Brown/Blair relationship. You have to think that if they could both have gotten along better then New Labour really would have achieved something amazing.
Dynamite Duane Posted August 5, 2010 Posted August 5, 2010 I don't like the bloke, he gets the sack then gets another job. He was running the show towards the end and kept reappearing like a turd that wouldn't flush. Clearly a Bilderberger in with the Rothschilds.
Keith Houchen Posted August 5, 2010 Posted August 5, 2010 I bought "How I Escaped My Certain Fate" by Stewart Lee today. Well I actually bought two copies and started reading one on the bus home. Then I got off the bus aaaaahhh.
Steveo2007 Posted August 5, 2010 Posted August 5, 2010 I don't like the bloke, he gets the sack then gets another job. He was running the show towards the end and kept reappearing like a turd that wouldn't flush. Clearly a Bilderberger in with the Rothschilds. I agree. One of the things that annoyed me is the blatant way in which the press and the public were manipulated. Both times he was sacked was simply for show as a way of getting the press off their back and as soon as the furore over whatever trouble he's got himself in has ended, then he's back.
RancidPunx Posted August 6, 2010 Posted August 6, 2010 Picked up Danny Wallace's new book today. Not read it yet but have enjoyed his previous books slot. Its called awkward situations for men.
SpiralTap Posted August 6, 2010 Posted August 6, 2010 Steven Hawkins - A brief history of time, holy crap its a migrane in a book. Makes me seem really smart to be able to quote Hawkins tho. Im told there are sequels but I may go through the Shakespear books next, ive been inspired to expand my understanding and better my mind, by watching Big bang theory.
Steveo2007 Posted August 6, 2010 Posted August 6, 2010 Steven Hawkins - A brief history of time, holy crap its a migrane in a book. Makes me seem really smart to be able to quote Hawkins tho. Im told there are sequels but I may go through the Shakespear books next, ive been inspired to expand my understanding and better my mind, by watching Big bang theory. I had a go at reading it a while back and my head began hurting so I gave up.
Moderators Chest Rockwell Posted August 6, 2010 Moderators Posted August 6, 2010 I can't stop buying books at the minute. My reading list is piling up and I'm not reading any of them because I keep taking comics out of the library and reading them instead. This weekend will see some serious reading time! Today I bought a couple William Bourroughs (sp?) books and Chuck Palahnuik's Pygmy. I think the reason I keep buying books is because there aren't many good shops in Canary Wharf and I like a bit of retail therapy when work is stressing me out.
SpiralTap Posted August 6, 2010 Posted August 6, 2010 Steven Hawkins - A brief history of time, holy crap its a migrane in a book. Makes me seem really smart to be able to quote Hawkins tho. Im told there are sequels but I may go through the Shakespear books next, ive been inspired to expand my understanding and better my mind, by watching Big bang theory. I had a go at reading it a while back and my head began hurting so I gave up. Give it another go dude, my method is to read a few pages at a time or stop when he says something that blows my mind then take the rest of the day to come to terms with it. Its slow going but I feel the grey matter moving around up there!
Moderators Chest Rockwell Posted August 6, 2010 Moderators Posted August 6, 2010 I can't stop buying books at the minute. My reading list is piling up and I'm not reading any of them because I keep taking comics out of the library and reading them instead. This weekend will see some serious reading time! Today I bought a couple William Bourroughs (sp?) books and Chuck Palahnuik's Pygmy. I think the reason I keep buying books is because there aren't many good shops in Canary Wharf and I like a bit of retail therapy when work is stressing me out. Just went and impulse bought a shirt. It's been a long week....
NEWM Posted August 6, 2010 Posted August 6, 2010 I bought "How I Escaped My Certain Fate" by Stewart Lee today. Well I actually bought two copies and started reading one on the bus home. Then I got off the bus aaaaahhh. Mint. I've just got this from Amazon so I'm looking forward to it. Changing pace completely though, I'm currently reading about this ginger cunt: And you know, it's not half bad really. I'll be honest, the book's a bit shit from a written point of view. He tries way, wayyyy to hard to appeal to a clever audience when he just doesn't need to, but it's an interesting story because even just going off public events, his life has been. He did the same on his appearance on the TV Book Club when he was plugging it, but they're all such wrongcocks on there that he practically looked like an intellectual. I'm not a super fan, but Chris Evans is okay with me these days, so this is as entertaining and rewarding as it is simple and heat magazine-y. Plus, it was a quid from Home Bargains. I wouldn't have paid full price for it.
Recommended Posts