Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Stonehenge is pretty awful, but understand why you want to go, if you do make sure you then go to Salisbury Cathedral and the Cathedral Close after. The Cathedral is the most impressive building in the county. If rocks in the ground is really your thing though, go to nearby Avebury, which is basically a better version of Stonehenge without 10000000 tourists.

Stourhead Gardens near Warminster and Frome is my favourite National Trust place in the country. It's absolutely gorgeous. Would recommend highly and it has something for the whole family due to the gardens having grottos and shit which always impress the young'uns. https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/stourhead/features/the-world-famous-garden 

Of course, on Frome, you should follow my lead and head to the Cheese and Grain Friday to watch the Wurzels to get in that proper West Country spirit. 

Bath is a must as Mike said. Not just because I live there, but the fact it's gorgeous and rammed full of culture and brilliant architecture. The Roman Bath is fine, but if you want to save a few bob, just walk around, have a look at Bath Abbey, walk around the Royal Crescent and surrounding areas and, if the weather is good, go on the Bath Skyline Walk, which is a hidden gem. Will warn you, no trains running there over the Easter weekend due to the platform being bodged about with.

Bradford on Avon is another lovely place to walk around, it's not far outside Bath. Selection of good pubs on the canal-side, independent shops and historical bits and bobs like the Tithe Barn. Also everything is constructed in the same Georgian style as Bath.

The Westbury White Horse is also a decent one and free again. Gives you the best view of the county (AND BEYOND), although Westbury itself is a bit shite.

Longleat near Warminster is expensive, but perhaps not a bad bet. If you want to save cash, the woods surrounding it are free and really impressive. Lake Shearwater and Heaven's Gate particularly excellent parts of that area if you can be arsed. 

I really enjoyed Stone Henge when I took the missues in July apart from queuing for the bus to go up to it the crowds weren't particularly intrusive at any point. Although the highlight was having to stop her being whisked away by language school staff who thought she was part of their tour on 2 separate occasions (although one thought she was a teacher). 

I quite like Wilton House for a wonder around but it's pricey now and probably isn't that special. 

• Paid Members

Cheers Gus, will definitely pop along to Salisbury. Have been to Bath a good few times, so may have to save returning til another time (although the allure of The Wurzels is a strong pull for me) in order to fit in plenty of other bits. Looking forward to seeing a bit more of lovely Wiltshere! 

As well as above the ruins of Old Sarum and Wells Cathedral / Wells Bishop's palace are also worth checking out.

<edit> oh and as well Avebury Manor and the Neolithic henge around the village which is like Stonehenge but larger and you can get a lot closer

Music Magpie is a piece of piss, you just enter everything you're getting rid of into the website, it gives you an approximate cost then they come and collect them from you.

You don't get much cash in return (50p for most CD's, maybe a quid or two for double discs or rarer items) but I can't imagine you would anywhere.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Grecian said:

Cool. Follow up question:

At what point do I tell the wife I've ruined her laptop? 

Once you've got a new one/if the rice trick works? Or if not, if you can get the same model, could you get away with never mentioning it? Would be a bit dishonest though I suppose. 

Archived