Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

Go into your page and click settings top right. Select Page Roles from the menu on the left and then type the name of the people and select the role you want them to have on the page, e.g. admin, editor, moderator, etc.

Top man. Thank you very much.

Top woman ;)

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it possible/easy to get a council flat if you've got a job? I've only ever rented privately and everyone I know who lives in council properties is on the dole (or was when they got the place, at least). They seem to have much better rent prices than private landlords.

At most Social Housing and Council operators there is a points system in place. The first priorities are people who are homeless, no immediate family and with young children. They are normally found a home within six weeks. Depending on where abouts you live you could have a wait on the council list up to twelve years (probably longer in London)

This is mainly due to the Right to Buy scheme (thanks Maggie!) which in theory was a good idea to allow people buy their own home, but there was no provision to build more social houses. Since 1980 the Social Housing stock has dropped from 6 million down to 4 million, which in affect caused house prices and the rental market escalate.  

So after my Geography GCSE answer, theoretically you could get a council house. But to get yourself higher up the list you will need to lose your job, knock some broad up and cut off your family. Happy days!

• Paid Members

At most Social Housing and Council operators there is a points system in place. The first priorities are people who are homeless, no immediate family and with young children. They are normally found a home within six weeks. Depending on where abouts you live you could have a wait on the council list up to twelve years (probably longer in London)

This is mainly due to the Right to Buy scheme (thanks Maggie!) which in theory was a good idea to allow people buy their own home, but there was no provision to build more social houses. Since 1980 the Social Housing stock has dropped from 6 million down to 4 million, which in affect caused house prices and the rental market escalate.  

So after my Geography GCSE answer, theoretically you could get a council house. But to get yourself higher up the list you will need to lose your job, knock some broad up and cut off your family. Happy days!

A lot more housing associations have gone down the choice based letting route in the last 10 years which will have longer waiting lists but you have more chance of getting one. Depending on how much you want to pay you could put your name down for the properties that are in lower demand (usually 3 bed, although you would have to make up the difference on the extra bedrooms due to the bedroom tax. Obviously that only applies if you're thinking of claiming housing benefit, otherwise you just pay rent as normal). Its sadly now a common misconception that council houses are just for the unemployed. Ive worked with housing associations for years so if you want a bit of info send me a message and i'll check out who your local landlord is and what their criteria are.

Same as above, most operate CBL and put you in a banding, and unless you're in Band A or possibly B, the truth is you're getting a flat, especially if you can afford the private rent sector.

Also bear in mind that since the government took away all funding for new build housing, LHPs and RSLs have to find the money from somewhere, which means placing properties at target rents, about 75% of the market, so rents aren't that much cheaper.

Unless you're in desperate, desperate need you won't be getting a place, sorry.

This is mainly due to the Right to Buy scheme (thanks Maggie!) which in theory was a good idea to allow people buy their own home, but there was no provision to build more social houses. Since 1980 the Social Housing stock has dropped from 6 million down to 4 million, which in affect caused house prices and the rental market escalate.

Interestingly the Right To Buy scheme was a Labour policy first!!!

Not to derail the conversation, but surely right to buy is not the problem, it's the lack of building new social housing at as rate that can keep up with it..?

Absolutely, I mean it doesn't help but as I mentioned all funding for new build government subsidy has been stopped so they have to find the money from somewhere, mostly in all this shared ownership bollocks and "affordable" rents.

Another one for the tax savy amount us:

My tax code has changed and I don't know why. My most recent payslip now has a tax code 512T which is a change from my previous one of 1000L. I realise that we're in a new tax year and all, but my circumstances have not changed and I have not taken a second job or anything, so I don't understand why the change has occurred. It's only £70 that I got taxed, but I don't earn enough in order to pay tax (I earned less than £10k last year ).

Is this just a case of simply getting in touch with the tax office and asking "what the hell are you playing at?". Like I say nothing has changed to warrant a tax code change as far as I can tell

• Paid Members

I've just had something try and download itself into my laptop. It claimed to be from Microsoft, and even though I pressed "No", I've now got a Windows logo on my taskbar saying I can reserve Windows 10 when I hover my mouse over it.

I've done a quick Google, and it seems to be a legitimate Microsoft thing, but since that appeared I've been logged out of every site I use that requires a password and Explorer and Chrome seem really slow and glitchy.

How concerned do I need to be over this?

• Paid Members

It's perfectly legit. If you're running Windows 7 or 8, Microsoft is offering to upgrade you to 10 free of charge. That notification is to sign up to make it download automatically on release in July. It's not related to any other issues you're having. Of course, it's always possible you contracted some sort of virus at the same time coincidentally. There's nothing that would have needed to download from Microsoft that I know of. But if you clicked no, it shouldn't have been able to run. I assume you've ran the usual checks? Chrome has unfortunately gone the same way as Firefox before it and become a bloated mess that slows everything down.

Archived