Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Paid Members

Well, I've run every spyware, malware, Westonsupermare and Knightmare cleaner I have, and my laptop's still running like a bitch. Youtube keeps freezing up, every webpage will lock up as I'm scrolling down it, and I can no longer open Excel.

These problems started the moment I got the pop-up from Microsoft. I'm almost convinced the cunts are deliberately slowing my laptop down so I'll upgrade to Windows 10 (which I'm guessing is some God-awful "apps" based interface).

I don't suppose a system restore will do anything, as it'll just try and download this reservation thing again.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Down in London Sunday for the wiggins hour record. Leaves me free in London until about 6 on Monday. Only thought I have is natural history museum. Any thoughts on other things to do around there or near Liverpool street where ill be getting train back to stanstead?

These problems started the moment I got the pop-up from Microsoft. I'm almost convinced the cunts are deliberately slowing my laptop down so I'll upgrade to Windows 10 (which I'm guessing is some God-awful "apps" based interface).

I think for 10, the idea is it's a normal Windows interface by default but can be switched to the apps one.

• Paid Members

Down in London Sunday for the wiggins hour record. Leaves me free in London until about 6 on Monday. Only thought I have is natural history museum. Any thoughts on other things to do around there or near Liverpool street where ill be getting train back to stanstead?

The Science Museum is pretty much next door to the Natural History Museum. The Victoria and Albert Museum is there too.

Once you've done Natural History Museum Harrods is a short walk up Brompton Road if you want to go look at a tonne of stuff you can't afford. Honest, it's a very silly place.

In all seriousness though, Tower of London isn't far away from Liverpool Street Station. Piccadily Circus is about half way between the Natural History Museum and Liverpool Street and to get to on the tube. Ripleys Believe It Or Not is a good way to kill a bit of time, we got dirt cheap admission through Groupon for there too last year

Have stayed around London bridge a lot through work, So familiar with that area. This is my first trip network related, so hoping o squeeze in as much as I can before heading back to airport about half five .

• Paid Members

Is it unreasonable that a certain phrase or way of speaking is annoying me? Now, I'm not the most literate myself, but something really grinds my gears about this.

Ending a sentence with "or?". For example, "Are you coming out tonight or?" "Are you going to do the washing or?" Etc.

My brother and his mates speak like this. It really pisses me off. Am I just being a fanny or am I in the right and should be annoyed by this?

• Paid Members

In typical South West Scotland fashion, I end a lot of sentences with "but" rather than using it as an conjunction. It's so common place round my parts that I don't notice how daft it sounds but as soon as I'm talking to anyone using the Queen's then I start feeling like a bit of a numpty.

• Paid Members

In typical South West Scotland fashion, I end a lot of sentences with "but" rather than using it as an conjunction. It's so common place round my parts that I don't notice how daft it sounds but as soon as I'm talking to anyone using the Queen's then I start feeling like a bit of a numpty.

I always thought that was a Welsh thing - "Isn't it, but."

• Paid Members

It's not quite as bad as it first sounds, I mean the "but" needs to have place in the sentence in the first place. For example rather than saying "Aye but I think they could still come back and win" I'd probably say "Aye, I think they could still come back and win but".  I should try to phase it out though, I get quite embarrassed when I drop it in to formal conversations and I see that they've noticed it.

Archived