Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Paid Members

Having said that, if you were to get annoyed at every minor characteristic of people, you'd probably blow your brains out rather sharpish

Luckily, I'm such a prick I tend to just avoid folk. But this over the last couple of days has just really annoyed me.

The "but" thing doesn't annoy me as much. Maybe I'm much more used to hearing weegies on the TV/Radio saying that and taking it as the norm.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

That's spelled slightly differently, butt, and is short for butty, butt. Not half as foolish as just saying 'but' at the end of your sentence.

I didn't know that. Thanks!

• Paid Members

Some of you may remember me posting a go fund me link for my friend's little girl Delilah who has cancer.

She has fought and fought, but today they have had devastating news, the tumour is growing back. 

Her care is now going to be palliative. She has just had her 3rd birthday. I felt I had to share with you as so many of you supported her last year. 

• Paid Members

I'm currently learning BSL (I've always wanted to learn, no particular reason) but, because I don't actually know anyone who's deaf, I'm having problems practicing. I Googled for deaf groups in London but they're all during working hours so I can't go. How do you meet deaf people?

• Paid Members

Hearing people tend to phrase things as they'd speak them out loud whilst signing.

Deaf people (and deaf mute people in particular) often phrase things in a very succinct, basic way, almost like baby talk.

I did my level one BSL back in 2004(?) as I was encountering quite a few deaf people. Since doing it, I've not had to use it once.

I'm currently learning BSL (I've always wanted to learn, no particular reason) but, because I don't actually know anyone who's deaf, I'm having problems practicing. I Googled for deaf groups in London but they're all during working hours so I can't go. How do you meet deaf people?

In Torquay, there was a deaf social club my brother used to go to before we moved. I went years later when we were visiting and everyone was super friendly, here's a link to some London and SE ones that are open later: http://royaldeaf.org.uk/Deaf_Culture_and_Community/Deaf_Clubs/139

• Paid Members

silly question, do you need actual deaf people to practise, or just people that can 'speak' BSL?

I need to practice with someone who knows what they're doing whether they're deaf or know BSL. I could potentially meet up with some other people from the class but if we're all doing something wrong then there'll be no-one to correct us. The course (and most of the people on it) is (are) based in South London whereas I'm in North London so it's difficult to get together between classes. Also, they're all learning for a purpose - they work in deaf schools or it's needed for their job - so they encounter deaf people on a regular basis. I don't so I would like to find someone to practice with outside the class.

In Torquay, there was a deaf social club my brother used to go to before we moved. I went years later when we were visiting and everyone was super friendly, here's a link to some London and SE ones that are open later: http://royaldeaf.org.uk/Deaf_Culture_and_Community/Deaf_Clubs/139

Thanks, I'll check out that link. I did see that there was a deaf coffee morning near me every other Thursday so it might be that I have to work from home and pop along in order to get some practice in. Cheers!

Archived