Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it's electronic I would suspect it should come under Data Protection so yes, but only the results they've received (so the final report/certificate or whatever they get).

You could always ask them?

When an employer does a criminal background check on you and the results go to them, can you then ask for a copy of it?

The results should go to you first, then it's up to you if you want to hand it over to them.

• Moderators

The chances anyone will be able to answer this are tiny, but I'm all out of ideas.

I watched a trailer near the end of last year for a film which looked intriguing, but which I've now forgotten the title of, so can't see if it's out. It was -- I think -- an Israeli film, and a drama centered around some friends taking a break at a beach house, with a female character who's a friend of a friend, who goes missing. It seems like she went out and drowned, but there's a mystery about it, and everyone is suspicious and questioning each other.

I would have sworn it had a single word title of a woman's name (the titular missing lady), but having scanned through Wiki's entire Films of 2014 and 2015 lists, I didn't find it, nor using IMDB's keyword search with stuff like 'disappearance', 'missing person', or 'forename as title'.

Anyone have any idea? Cheers.

• Moderators

It sounds very much like an excellent, Iranian film called About Elly that came out in 2009. The director also did A Seperation & The Past which are also very good.

Holy shit, that's it! Thanks; that was driving me nuts. Surprised I couldn't find it, being that I only had the country of origin, year of release, and title wrong.

• Awards Moderator

Is it acceptable to wear a black shirt with light grey trousers? I've just moved and I've got a job interview tomorrow and it's the only smart stuff I can find. Google says it's ok but who knows style like wrestling fans?

As long as you have a grey suit jacket and grey tie.

• Paid Members

Tax question:

I got a small payrise the other month yet I appear to be earning less monthly after tax than I was before the payrise. According to an income tax calculator I used online, my pay should have been around 1530 after tax. Can any taxy types tell me if this seems right to them:

Pay -

Basic pay: 1,499.08

London Weighting: 371.85

Total: 1,870.33

Deductions -

Tax: 275.80

NI - A: 143.86

Plus I am on a Direct Earnings Attachment from HMRC because I unpaid tax due to some taxable benefits I had, which is 75.56 a month and then I pay 14.96 a month into the company pension scheme.

Ignoring the DEA, before the pay rise I was on around about 1480 a month. After the pay rise, before the DEA came in, I was paid 1430. Have I moved up a tax bracket or something?!

My tax code is 589L/0.

Anyone help? Thanks.

Archived