Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

Anyone have any tips on getting it to be normal again? Doesn't matter how hard I hold my nose and blow, it won't pop.

Got any hard sweets? Try sucking on them for a while. It sounds stupid but that's helped make my ears 'pop' back into life during/after a flight a few times.

I tend to suck on hard sweets as the plane is landing as the change in air pressure can be agonising for me. Swallowing or opening your mouth wide should help, but often doesn't.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Anyone have any tips on getting it to be normal again? Doesn't matter how hard I hold my nose and blow, it won't pop.

Got any hard sweets? Try sucking on them for a while. It sounds stupid but that's helped make my ears 'pop' back into life during/after a flight a few times.

I tend to suck on hard sweets as the plane is landing as the change in air pressure can be agonising for me. Swallowing or opening your mouth wide should help, but often doesn't.

Yeah, same here (agonising, I mean,) Anyway, it popped on its own after about four or five days. I didn't stick anything in it, like. I think I shouldn't have flown ill, as well.

Gays and lisping. What's the story with that stereotype? I've never noticed a high trend in gay fellas of talking with a lisp. Is it just a case of people not knowing what a lisp is, the same way loads of idiots for years thought mullet just meant long hair?

• Paid Members

Has anyone bought any property in a shared ownership scheme? I'm a bit pissed off. A few of the providers in London we've contacted us have said that we HAVE to get a mortgage to be eligible. Basically, we have £150,000 as my partner's mum sold her house and gave her it. £150,000 might buy you a garage in London, certainly not a one or two bed flat/apartment, which is what we need. So, we wanted to go shared ownership but just pay the share, say 50% or whatever, in cash and pay the rent/staircasing side from our salaries. But it seems this isn't allowed. Anyone have any experience with this?

• Paid Members

I think that they might have that in place to protect that idea that shared ownership is for people who couldn't buy anything outright — I know it's hard to get anything in London with £150k, but it's definitely possible, saw some stuff in my old area when I was listing out place.

Is there any way around it regarding taking out a mortgage, and then sucking it up, paying off the penalty for early repayment?

Do a lot of research into this — my experience of shared ownership was miserable — lot of jumped up cunts that wanted the prices but also wanted to pretend that they were landed gentry or something, and a very inattentive management team. The place rapidly fell to shit and disrepair, the building and apartments were crowded with features that made no sense (joint satellite dish on the roof that broke for weeks on end, to the point where we got Tiscali TV, kitchen plinth heater, drying rack in the bathroom that was so obscure that when I looked it up, our development was one of the first search results), and my apartment leaked from burst pipes the very first winter. It was handy in one way, because they clearly gave so few shits that I successfully subleased the place for three years, and even sent my scummy Lithuanians down to get an extra front door key.

• Paid Members

I've seen a few places in Edmonton for around about that price but they're run down as shit and would need a lot of work, work we wouldn't be able to afford if we'd just spunked our £150k on the property. Almost all shared ownership places are new build, shiny and sparkly. 

I wouldn't be able to get a mortgage if my life depended on it. My partner might be able to, I'm not sure. She only works part-time, with an income of about £18,000 a year. It's something we'd have to look into.

That experience of yours sounds shitty. We were looking to get a place through Newlon Housing Trust, they've got a new development on White Hart Lane - which is a bit of a shithole right now, but hopefully will be better once Spurs have regenerated the area. My mate and his woman got a place by Tottenham Green Leisure Centre through Newlon and it's nice, they've not had any issues.

• Paid Members

I've seen a few places in Edmonton for around about that price but they're run down as shit and would need a lot of work, work we wouldn't be able to afford if we'd just spunked our £150k on the property. Almost all shared ownership places are new build, shiny and sparkly. 

I wouldn't be able to get a mortgage if my life depended on it. My partner might be able to, I'm not sure. She only works part-time, with an income of about £18,000 a year. It's something we'd have to look into.

That experience of yours sounds shitty. We were looking to get a place through Newlon Housing Trust, they've got a new development on White Hart Lane - which is a bit of a shithole right now, but hopefully will be better once Spurs have regenerated the area. My mate and his woman got a place by Tottenham Green Leisure Centre through Newlon and it's nice, they've not had any issues.

There was a development on the high road that I seriously looked at for a while — it was very cheap, but I decided (wrongly) to go for Edmonton instead. I'd be inclined to stay away from L&Q Housing, based on my previous experience, but that was just in my development, don't want to suggest that all of their places are like that. Are you sure you couldn't get a mortgage with that big lump sum to put down?

The new build is tempting, but an issue is that the quality is shitty — like I said, burst pipes within a year, and they tried to minimize their repair costs by blaming tenants for any broken stuff/teething troubles, and thereby charging us.

I'd stick with Tottenham, anyway — parts of it might be a dump, but Edmonton is a miserable dump — there are some cracking chippys around Tottenham, and that big Lidl/Aldi, and some actual pubs that I would go into out of choice.

It would be probably an idea to get a credit report on yourself. You can sign up to a free trial with Experian or Equifax. If your credit score is 0 then chances are you won't get a mortgage, but if you have some kind of credit score then you might be able to get a mortgage due to your chunky deposit (matron). If your credit rating is rotten the mortgages available will most likely have an exorbitant interest rate.

Alternatively you could be socially cleansed and move up North. For £150,000 you could get a lovely 4 bedroom house.

• Paid Members

Yeah, my credit score is 0. Or worse!

I'd move the fuck out of London if I could. But I'll be in uni in Russell Square and my partner is in uni in Holloway. Difficult to move very far out.

I did find a two-bed property for £140k that we could buy outright near Wembley that currently has "excellent" tenants who are paying £1250 a month to rent the place. I suppose that's an option. We could stay where we are and those tenants could pay our rent for us. But being a landlord brings a whole host of other boring problems with it.

Archived