Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Paid Members

Nah. We've been very careful to keep it all separate. But, again, she's a student and works part time. You think a mortgage place is going to be ok with that?

Really hard to predict. Employment and hours worked are things that *can* be taken into consideration as part of a lenders external criteria that they use with the actual credit report to score you. There's really no way of knowing until the application is made.

Prob best thing I can suggest is to take your credit report(s) with you if/when you apply and the lender/mortgage advisor might be able to do a manual application. That way, even if they ARE going to turn you down they *may* be able to tell you why. ( Don't think they have any obligation to though)

Also legally nowadays lenders will only provide a mortgage to a couple if it is in joint names - this is to minimise the risk if the couple split up and there is a 3rd party interested in the house....can cause all sorts of problems. I don't know how many we declined last year because the application came in one name but the intelligence insight showed the other half living at the address. Plus it affects the borrowing amount as well. Just be careful before signing anything!

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

I'm thinking of entering a competition to win a presenting slot on Ideal World shopping channel.  You have to upload a video where you 'sell'  an ordinary household object which will go to a public/panel vote.

So i'm thinking personality wise, they want someone bright, engaging etc, obviously, so everyone will be hitting that spot, but what I want to try and do is choose a really obscure item that I could invent lots of ridiculous, spurious uses for.

Where better to ask for suggestions than this place?

Anyone do this in the end? I was going to and then thought "fuck Ideal World, it's just a pound shop QVC" and instead right right to the top and sent a pitch video to the one and only King of the pitchmen ANTHONY "SULLY" SULLIVAN.

I didn't hear back

• Paid Members

I'm applying for my first UK passport (better late than never). I got form all sorted out on my end but unfortunately my counter-sign rep (a friend i've known half my life who owns his own business) spelt part of my name wrong (Antony as opposed to Anthony), crossed it out and wrote it on the outside of the box as there were no more squares left. Obviously when i went to get it checked at the post office this was pointed out as a no-no.

I'm not going to see this friend for another month as he's off on business. My doctor hasn't seen me in two years so he can't sign it for me. As far as i'm aware, and the passport info book says this, the countersign has to be someone who's a civil servant or who works in the emergency services or owns their own business etc. When i brought this up, purely out of frustration that i'd have to wait another month, the post office assistant said that as long the countersginee is currently working and has a passport, then anyone can do it. They don't neccasarily have to meet the exact employement status critea stated in the booklet. I triple checked with her and she kept stating that as long as the person has know you long enough and they're employed and have a passport then it's fine.

If i get a good friend of mine to sign it and i pay the 80 quid fee and the passport is rejected because it's not a proper countersign rep then i will be royally pissed off. Has anybody had any experience with this? Is the post office worker speaking out of her arse or is it all above board?

• Paid Members

It's an insanely massive list but little of the people i know fit into that category. There's a shop keeper that i used to know as a kid that i could go to, but it'll be a while before i'm round that area again.

I've been doing some research and people who have been in similar situations have got basically anyone to sign it and it works. Apparently the 'good social standing' caveat is very loose so as long as the countersignee has a passport and a salary it may just work. Maybe i'm just trying to find light in the situation that doesn't involve waiting a month to get it done.

• Paid Members

I thought the Check & Send service at the Post Office was there to help you get around that, with the Post Office official effectively bearing witness? When I applied to renew my passport (I decided to try my luck first to see if I could save time from having to find a counter-signatory), the lady behind the glass told me I didn't need the counter-signature, and I know I looked very different from my previous passport's photo.

I thought the Check & Send service at the Post Office was there to help you get around that, with the Post Office official effectively bearing witness? When I applied to renew my passport (I decided to try my luck first to see if I could save time from having to find a counter-signatory), the lady behind the glass told me I didn't need the counter-signature, and I know I looked very different from my previous passport's photo.

It does for UK passports, but mine isn't a UK passport.

• Paid Members

I'm going to risk it and get a team leader at work to do it for me. I've known him as a mate for five years and i joined the company back in November. Waiting 4-6 weeks in order to get it signed by someone who owns a business is time that i can't really afford to waste. It's amazing that of all the people i'm in contact with that really none of them match that massive list. I mean there are back-ups if things REALLY get silly but it means going the 'my mate's dad's barber said he will do it for you' kinda thing. I hope i can get the bloody thing for Christmas, hence the rush.

Are there any sites besides Gumtree that have genuine adverts for private flat/house rentals? I won't pass any checks that agencies do so a direct line from me to some dodgy owner is the way to go. I've even been looking on those "community noticeboard" things in shops where this type of thing used to be advertised in the ode days, but those cards are now almost exclusively used by people selling chests of drawers.

Archived