Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are little things you can do to up your credit score. Stuff like having a landline and an internet provider email address, as it shows a contract and you're less likely to do a runner. It won't get you keys to the castle but it all helps.

• Paid Members

A friend of mine explained to me the logic behind credit card ratings. Sounds twisted, but right - basically, if you don't have a credit card, it negatively affects your rating, because the companies think "OK, he's financially responsible, but it means he doesn't have the funds to have a credit card."

Apparently one of the best ways to bump your credit rating is to regularly use your credit card and stay on top of the repayments every single month, so that you don't end up paying fees for not using it at all, and you don't pay interest on late payments.

If you've got a credit card, Riot, you could pay off your debts using it, then use the deposit money to pay off the credit card debt. Goes round the houses, but it might help the rating.

• Paid Members

There are little things you can do to up your credit score. Stuff like having a landline and an internet provider email address, as it shows a contract and you're less likely to do a runner. It won't get you keys to the castle but it all helps.

That stuff is all in my partners name unfortunately.

I don't have a credit card. I have a credit card then I maxed it out and laughed at their stupid demand letters. They've had the last laugh, it seems.

You need to find out how many defaulted credit accounts you have in your name and see how long ago they became defaulted. It takes something like 6 years before they'll clear from your report even if you bother paying them off.

It sounds like you'd be better off running everything through your ladies name and maybe adding your name to the mortgage at a later date.

You need to find out how many defaulted credit accounts you have in your name and see how long ago they became defaulted. It takes something like 6 years before they'll clear from your report even if you bother paying them off.

It sounds like you'd be better off running everything through your ladies name and maybe adding your name to the mortgage at a later date.

6 years from the default date exactly.

And it depends on whether or not SpursRiot and their partner have any joint accounts. If the credit agency has been supplied with details of a financial association, then the lender will look at both reports even if the application is made in a single name.

Nah. We've been very careful to keep it all separate. But, again, she's a student and works part time. You think a mortgage place is going to be ok with that?

Really hard to predict. Employment and hours worked are things that *can* be taken into consideration as part of a lenders external criteria that they use with the actual credit report to score you. There's really no way of knowing until the application is made.

Prob best thing I can suggest is to take your credit report(s) with you if/when you apply and the lender/mortgage advisor might be able to do a manual application. That way, even if they ARE going to turn you down they *may* be able to tell you why. ( Don't think they have any obligation to though)

Archived