Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

I was looking forward to the Bugloni fight, but his opponent pulled out. Dave Allans opponent pulled out as well, not arsed about that though as Allan is a waste of time. Will probably still watch it though. Hopefully Whyte does a number on Helanous and gets a shot at Wilder early next year. 

I’m more looking forward to the battle of the Liams rematch in a couple of weeks on bt.

• Paid Members

Yeah Williams/Smith is gonna be great.

Loves me some Dave Allen though, not great in the ring but he's a loveable character and unlike any other boxer out there. Get onto some of his IFL interviews, its hard not to route for him if you do.

• Paid Members

Question to the boxing aficionados on here, if AJ the heavy fave for his match tomorrow? I love a bit of boxing, but don't really follow it outside of the big marquee matches so not sure what to expect...

AJ is 1/50, you have to put £50 on to win £1 back, that should tell you something! His opponent is 12/1. I dont think people in the UK have seen much of Takam, i’ve watched a few clips on yt since it was announced he will replace Pulev and he seems an ok come forward fighter, not afraid to get in a scrap. He’s been knocked out by a lesser fighter than AJ before though and it’s hard to see past anything other than an early AJ knockout. I think it will be a more interesting fight than the Pulev one though. Saying that, as the cliche goes, it’s heavyweight boxing and one punch can change it all, but i doubt it.

Whyte/Helenious should be interesting on the undercard. I hope Whyte comes out to the Jaws theme, followed by Back in Black, thats a mega entrance.

• Paid Members
48 minutes ago, Porkchopcash said:

AJ is 1/50, you have to put £50 on to win £1 back, that should tell you something! His opponent is 12/1. I dont think people in the UK have seen much of Takam, i’ve watched a few clips on yt since it was announced he will replace Pulev and he seems an ok come forward fighter, not afraid to get in a scrap. He’s been knocked out by a lesser fighter than AJ before though and it’s hard to see past anything other than an early AJ knockout. I think it will be a more interesting fight than the Pulev one though. Saying that, as the cliche goes, it’s heavyweight boxing and one punch can change it all, but i doubt it.

Whyte/Helenious should be interesting on the undercard. I hope Whyte comes out to the Jaws theme, followed by Back in Black, thats a mega entrance.

Thanks for that! the 1-50 odds did seem like as much as a sure thing as your going to get in a "two horse race" but thought Takem being brought in at such a late stage might have thrown a spanner in the works for AJ...

Looking forward to Whyte's fight too. Always enjoy watching him.

Edited by Cod Eye

General consensus seems to be that AJ looked sluggish due to coming in so heavy, Takem showed alot of heart after getting dropped in the 4th but was out of his depth and a load of gimps saying that AJ wouldn't last a round against Tyson Fury.

There was an accidental head clash early on which ended up with AJ getting his nose broken, which will have affected his breathing, but he does seem to be getting alot of unfair criticism. He's still only 20 fights his pro career and still learning, but he's having to do that whilst bring on top of the mountain. Alot giving Takem credit for taking the fight on 12 days notice, and while I agree with that in part, I doubt he was just sat at home on his arse when he got the call. 

AJ will have learnt something from this though, which is a good thing

• Paid Members

Aye. Some folk are being proper harsh on AJ, I felt. As discussed earlier, a lot of people were expecting AJ to just run through Takam (myself included), but that's our own ignorance going by that. AJ won nearly all the rounds, like, but Takam is clearly double hard. A lot of people, I noticed, are now calling AJ "overrated" and saying an in shape Fury would take him to school etc. Again, proper harsh considering AJ was in control of the fight. Sadly, because of Takam's lack of name power AJ had to win convincingly.

These rubbish decisions from officials need to do one, because boxing is enjoying a big resurgence right now and continued incompetence/shadiness will only turn people off. Particularly when it happens in so many of the big time fights. 

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

Yeah, the Katie Taylor fight was the highlight and even that wasn't really worth going out of your way to see. 

I didn't think AJ looked as bad or sluggish as people made out. It was far from his best showing. Probably his worst yet in all honesty, but that's because he's smashing fuckers away the rest of the time, or having a FOTY war with Wladimir Klitschko. Compared to that, yeah Joshua didn't look great. But it wasn't a bad performance given the last minute switch of opponent. Takam fought like a lion as well. Ridiculous toughness and heart and he kept coming forward and throwing, even in the 10th before he was stopped. With a guy like that, especially who you didn't train for, I can understand why Joshua didn't just lunge into him with haymakers. It was a measured workmanlike performance. The kind that, actually, people always say AJ needs when he's blasting people out in a round. He got 10 rounds in that weren't particularly hard on him but he had to find different answers because Takam didn't just go away. In that sense I liked it. Glad I didn't pay £20 for it though. 

The only thing I though it was unfortunate was the stoppage. The ref jumped in while Takam was still standing, which in itself is fine. I've seen plenty of completely just stoppages of guys who were clearly out on their feet. This wasn't one of them though. Takam did eat a few big shots but he never particularly looked in trouble. He'd been in worse trouble earlier on and hung in there. The ref didn't really give him chance to fight out of it. But I can live with it. Takam wasn't going to win the fight and was tough enough to where he'd have probably gone the distance, he was just in for 2 more rounds of abuse really. And it's always better to stop a fight like that early rather than too late, obviously. The story was already told by that point anyway. That Takam was outmatched but had huge heart. He got battered but he came out of this with his stock raised for me. 

As soon as I saw the stoppage though, I deliberately avoided all social media for a bit because I knew what it was going to be like with the outcries of 'Boxing is dead/fixed/a joke' and all that silly overreaction whenever there's a dodgy stoppage/decision. Had a look at twitter this morning and it's all there. The amount of times I've seen people go 'I'm done with boxing' when there's been an iffy stoppage or something, I'm surprised they can still fill a garden shed, much less a stadium. 

Oh and Whyte vs Helenius was terrible. Just 12 rounds of a plodding cure for insomnia. Helenius looked like he wanted to be anywhere else and seemed to be fighting purely not to lose rather than to win. Glad Whyte won because there's better fights to be had with him. He didn't look good himself but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt as he was in with an awkward beanpole who seemed to consciously come to spoil. 

A.J vs Takam was a fun brawl. The ending left a sour taste in some fan's mouths. A.J is still a work in progress. McCracken has said that the Wlad fight happened a littler earlier than he would have liked.

Whyte vs Helenius was a complete dud. Helenius did little after a strong 2nd round. I am not sold on Whyte as a world class heavyweight. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

I wouldn't mind seeing Whyte vs Takam at some point.

Takam was the opposite of Helenius last night. He kept trying in a fight he wasn't going to win. Whereas Helenius did nothing in a fight he actually might've been able to nick if he'd been arsed enough. 

Takam could not have done much more. He was a bit underrated going into last night. David Haye sparred with him years ago, and rated him quite highly. He also took Parker to the limit last year. His only other loss was to Povetkin. 

Last time I heard, Hearn wants to make Wilder vs Whyte for February. Wilder has been asking for silly money. Before that happens though, Wilder needs to beat Stiverne in their rematch next weekend. 

Edited by jimufctna24