Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted

This will probably fall flat on its arse because we are by nature more inclined to complain that celebrate but I thought I'd give it a go. 

We have the minor annoyances thread for those little gripes of daily life, but today I've had a couple of tiny triumphs that I thought I'd share and give any of you the same opportunity when something comes up. 

First off I was catching up on watching Mastermind, because I'm rock and roll obviously. I got all of the questions right on a specialist subject. Yes I am a nerd, and yes it was questions on The Silmarillion. 

Secondly, traffic has been terrible around Lincoln today, and I managed to rat run all the way around the bypass and in to the middle where I needed to go and when I drove out I hit every light on green and was out in no time. 

It's the tiny triumphs that make the day better.

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

I once got a longer word than Suzy Dent managed when watching 8 out of 10 Cats Does Countdown. 

I cant remember what the word was, or the episode. But I felt so fucking smug. Me and my wife checked the spelling several times as I couldn't believe it.

 

Edit: we couldn't believe it as Im 1) dyslexic, and 2) a moron.

Edited by ReturnOfTheMack
  • Moderators
Posted
53 minutes ago, DiscoPistol said:

I finished the minute cryptic mini with only two clues today, and got the daily with no clues.

Proper win.

What's the minute cryptic mini? I do the clue every day . Are you telling me there's more cryptic i could be doing that I'm missing out on?

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

What's the minute cryptic mini? I do the clue every day . Are you telling me there's more cryptic i could be doing that I'm missing out on?

It's part of the paid membership. A weekly standard cryptic with about 10 clues.

Also gives you all of the old daily clues and allows you to submit your own clues - my next challenge. So far I'm not very good at it.

Edited by DiscoPistol
Spelling idiocy
  • Paid Members
Posted

A few times I've managed the i Five Clue Cryptic without needing hints. There's definitely a structure to it. The clue that has two answers is always an anagram, and if you can get that one it's a big help for the others. 

  • Members
Posted

In Tesco the other day an old biddy with a massive trolley load turned out of an aisle towards the only free check out, and I quickened my pace and overtook her to beat her to the spot.

Do one Joan.

Posted (edited)

On my Sainsburys home delivery today, one can of Pepsi Max out of a big multipack had been damaged and leaked, so went to give them back to the driver, who said to just keep them for free. I think whenever this happens, or if its a short life item that the driver tells you to keep and get refunded for, its a lovely minor win.

Also, on the same delivery, they replaced the cheap smoked salmon with the most expensive one, and then they give you a voucher for the price difference you've paid, essentially gifting you the most expensive one that you never normally would pay for. Great little small wins whenever they do that with items too.

Edited by Dai
  • Paid Members
Posted
4 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Are you telling me there's more cryptic i could be doing that I'm missing out on?

You're doing Parseword, right? 

  • Paid Members
Posted

Saw a comedian do a work in progress show last night. She asked for notes and feedback at the end of the show but everyone clammed up. I follow her on Instagram and had thoughts, mostly that one bit which didn’t land with the room slayed me, and that one really good bit struggled because the set up was too fast and went over people’s heads. I could see people looking confused and heard some comments to that effect after the show.
 

I have never DM’d an entertainer or anyone like that on Instagram before but the request for feedback at the end seemed to be very genuine. So I sent a little message with my favourite bits and that one little note. Then I spent the next three hours debating unsending it and hoping I didn’t come across as a parasocial wrong’un. 
 

Woke up this morning to see a really nice reply, then this afternoon while waiting for another show, the comedian saw me from across the street, gave me a big wave and hello and a thank you for the message. 

As someone who has had lifelong struggles and much therapy and medication to get to a better place with day to day social anxiety this was such a massive relief. Successful normal human interaction with stranger complete. 

  • Paid Members
Posted

Managed to log in to UKFF. Been more than awhile. Feeling sad about the passings of Moj and JTTS, but glad to see the community lives on

 

  • Paid Members
Posted
5 hours ago, gadge said:

Managed to log in to UKFF. Been more than awhile. Feeling sad about the passings of Moj and JTTS, but glad to see the community lives on

 

Good to hear from you my friend even under these circumstances. 

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
Posted
On 5/2/2026 at 12:42 AM, Onyx2 said:

You're doing Parseword, right? 

Just gave this a go.. went through the tutorials. Seems fun! Will be adding this to the rotation at least for now.. see if it stands the test of time. 

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Just gave this a go.. went through the tutorials. Seems fun! Will be adding this to the rotation at least for now.. see if it stands the test of time. 

As with these things it is variable. Yesterday's was great! Today's I stared at for ages and blew through hints as I just couldn't see it. And has that ugly 'cryptic crossword language' that I hate. Torturous and laboured.

Edited by Onyx2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...